Autopsy Round 19, 2019: St.Kilda v Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Been very very critical of Ross but he played at his BnF level. It was obvious to see why. His pace around the ground and at the contest was 10 times better then it has been. If we want to be good we need him to consistently play at that level especially if Steven leaves. Also loved Acres tackling I’d argue he’s the clear second best tackler on our list. Not in terms of quantity but quality.

This reeeeeeallly annoyed me at the game. It was so obvious that was their tactic so they could get their plodders back to defend. Can’t believe it was allowed to go on throughout the match. A absolute joke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, last week dogs players, particularly Libba, were allowed to protest to the ump instead of giving the ball straight back. It's frustrating. Could it be something discussed/practiced at training? I wonder if they have stats on how many seconds it takes before 50 is paid usually, and players are lying there counting "one cat and dog, two cat and - OK time to get up"

I am loving the way Bruce is playing at the moment. King getting injured and Bruce getting to work closely with Dermott Brereton has been a blessing in disguise. He is running around with a bit of swag in his step and playing a lot more confident. King, Bruce and Membrey, Lonie, Hind, either gresh/billings/long/parker. That is a decent forward line which will cause most teams a headache.

I am loving the way Bruce is playing at the moment. King getting injured and Bruce getting to work closely with Dermott Brereton has been a blessing in disguise. He is running around with a bit of swag in his step and playing a lot more confident. King, Bruce and Membrey, Lonie, Hind, either gresh/billings/long/parker. That is a decent forward line which will cause most teams a headache.

Loved his arms in the air celebrations like “I’m the man, get around me.”

Been very very critical of Ross but he played at his BnF level. It was obvious to see why. His pace around the ground and at the contest was 10 times better then it has been. If we want to be good we need him to consistently play at that level especially if Steven leaves. Also loved Acres tackling I’d argue he’s the clear second best tackler on our list. Not in terms of quantity but quality.
Ross and Newnes have both been much better. Ross last week was a pretty big step up and then this week was much better than that and he restored a fair bit of my confidence that he can be a good footballer at this level.
What worries me about Newnes is that he started the season well then faded. Now we've got a new coach he's playing better.
Anyway, I'm happy that we're winning again and most of the players are playing well now so I don't want to find excuses to pot somebody - but I hope that if he's on our list next year he's able to give it his best throughout the season and doesn't need things to really hit the fan before he pulls his finger out.

Someone was talking about the mark that Paton dropped as a reason to drop him. He really made up for that (huge) blunder after that I thought and one or two of his marks after that were pretty tough and he made it happen. A lot of players after that first one would probably stuff up the ones after that too, letting it get to them, but he didn't. I really think he and Coff are learning from their mistakes and their mistakes have much more consequence in the ones, so I think they're learning much more quickly now. That's part of what development is about, I think, and a part of the development process that maybe Richo could have done much better with. It's taken a lot of injuries for us to give the kids a go. I wonder if all hands had been on deck, how much of these players we would have seen.

Ross and Newnes have both been much better. Ross last week was a pretty big step up and then this week was much better than that and he restored a fair bit of my confidence that he can be a good footballer at this level.
What worries me about Newnes is that he started the season well then faded. Now we've got a new coach he's playing better.
Anyway, I'm happy that we're winning again and most of the players are playing well now so I don't want to find excuses to pot somebody - but I hope that if he's on our list next year he's able to give it his best throughout the season and doesn't need things to really hit the fan before he pulls his finger out.

Someone was talking about the mark that Paton dropped as a reason to drop him. He really made up for that (huge) blunder after that I thought and one or two of his marks after that were pretty tough and he made it happen. A lot of players after that first one would probably stuff up the ones after that too, letting it get to them, but he didn't. I really think he and Coff are learning from their mistakes and their mistakes have much more consequence in the ones, so I think they're learning much more quickly now. That's part of what development is about, I think, and a part of the development process that maybe Richo could have done much better with. It's taken a lot of injuries for us to give the kids a go. I wonder if all hands had been on deck, how much of these players we would have seen.

Agree with Paton absolute howler , but later in game put his body on the line in marking contest .

Ratten alluded to it , young players make mistakes , Coffield made some blues too but didn’t lose
confidence to attack next contest , Clark same made a howler handball in the 1st Quarter resulted
in a goal, but kept his confidence , the attack on the ball in the last was a pivotal moment .

Subtle changes in the team structure during game , Melbourne changed their forward line to small,
Ratten identified it immediately 2nd Quarter shifted Carlisle forward , Newnes was defensive forward,
when Melbourne changed the dynamic he immediately sent him to the wing .

How many times was Gawn allowed to ruck against 2nd string ruckman in centre bounce not many .

For me give him the job now ( mind you wanted him to coach day one) .

Agree with Paton absolute howler , but later in game put his body on the line in marking contest .

Ratten alluded to it , young players make mistakes , Coffield made some blues too but didn’t lose
confidence to attack next contest , Clark same made a howler handball in the 1st Quarter resulted
in a goal, but kept his confidence , the attack on the ball in the last was a pivotal moment .

Subtle changes in the team structure during game , Melbourne changed their forward line to small,
Ratten identified it immediately 2nd Quarter shifted Carlisle forward , Newnes was defensive forward,
when Melbourne changed the dynamic he immediately sent him to the wing .

How many times was Gawn allowed to ruck against 2nd string ruckman in centre bounce not many .

For me give him the job now ( mind you wanted him to coach day one) .
Why would you give it to him now. There are 4 weeks left. It would be crazy giving it to him now especially as there is no point at all

I cannot wait to see what Membrey can produce when teams have to put their two talls on King and Bruce. Membrey already embarrasses some KD's who are 10cm's taller and 8kg's heavier. When sides have to start matching their general defenders against him he's going to destroy campaigners

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne looks like getting another top 3 pick.
How many young mens lives is that club allowed to destroy before there is some type of intervention?

4 points and 7 % behind the Blues they are almost a lock for getting Pick 2 and Anderson, which will annoy me no end.

Will annoy even further if they swap it to Hawks for their first pick and a Golden Oldie or 2.

Last edited:
Melbourne looks like getting another top 3 pick.
How many young mens lives is that club allowed to destroy before there is some type of intervention?
It's like watching sons go of to war.... Some are lucky enough to make it back but they are never the same person again.

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

4 points and 7 % behind the Blues they are almost a lock for getting Pick 2 and Anderson, which will annoy me no end.

Will annoy even further if the swap it to Hawks for their first pick and a a Golden Oldie or 2.
Offer Pick 6 and Armo and Newnes?

It's like watching sons go of to war.... Some are lucky enough to make it back but they are never the same person again.
God help me; they were only 19 😥

axifis.jpg

I know Seb's done a lot to restore his rep in the last couple of weeks, even with me, but I'm just watching the replay and had a laugh.
I don't know what was more exasperating in Q1, Seb's unpressured floater on his left inside 50 resulting in a turnover or Brayshaw with the "Ross, normally uses it well" comment that directly preceded it.
I wonder sometimes if the commentators spend so much time calling so many games that it all kind of goes in one eye and out the other after a while.

Anyway, hopefully that's a comment that won't be so laughable in a few weeks if Seb keeps his good form up.

I noticed he was hurting players with his body contact recently. That's Dermot 101, if you can't win a contest you can at least make sure your opponent looks over his shoulder when ever you are close.

We only got 33 average games from Paddy and still prefer that than getting Petracca.

Does it sound harsh if i say i prefer to have someone like Paddy, have to just stop playing footy, and we know its over, than to have drafted a player like Jack Watt's ( or Raph Clarke ) where we are just constantly waiting for him to break out , year after year after year after year........

Its tragic for Paddy, but if we know he's out of the team we can move on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back