Unofficial Preview Round 19, 2019 - Sydney vs Geelong @ SCG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it’s just as bad as Jack playing

Uhhhh not quite. I haven't been that impressed by Menzel so far, but he was bound to have scratchy form coming back from such a long injury lay-off. Horse was even on record saying Menzel had played more minutes than they'd hoped he would have to (during that stretch where we kept losing blokes mid-match.) There's some very obvious up-side to Menzel if he can find some form, because he's not a fossil, unlike Jack who doesn't seem to have any benefit to this team in any form.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
No FT ruck means Geelong's midfield will rip us a new one. McLean was both promising and gallant, though out of gas at half-time.
We'll lose this by 50.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
After the last three games where Haywoodm McCartin and Blakey kicked a combined score 3 goals 13.. Would Horse dare to replace Haywood with a guy that can kick straight? maybe even take a mark?? Dawson???

After the last three games where Haywoodm McCartin and Blakey kicked a combined score 3 goals 13.. Would Horse dare to replace Haywood with a guy that can kick straight? maybe even take a mark?? Dawson???

That's why I won't be shocked if Menzel comes in. Sure he doesn't put as much defensive pressure, but if he gets 3 shots at goal he's kicking most of them. Hayward is dead set lucky to kick 1 this season. It happens just having an awful season, him more than any of our side just needs a complete mental break and a full off season. He'll be a better player for this season.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Cats are vulnerable. They have basically two tiers of players. Those over 30 and those under 24. They have a few inbetween but not many. They sold most of those off to buy all the old blokes.

They are slow without Rohan. I think with some really good ball use we could flog this mob. Their disposal over the last month has been deplorable. If you don't bomb you beat them. They are not a big clearance side, even though they do well at centre clearances at crucial times in a game. Thry have some players, with tricks but Selwood is over thr hill and if tgry play his brother it will be double over the hill gang.

We are tapering off but did miss, Dawson incredibly last week. All out entries were wide. Dawson opens play up and allows centre corridor entries through really beautiful long kicks that scorch. His impact was sorely missed last week. I think the Cats play a style of footy that our mob can totally counter.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Theres 4 guys listed on the interchange bench which will be omitted. Can these guys still play neafl this weekend?

JeremyVanHolden

Debutant
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
It will be Dawson for Hayward and nothing else. Hayward has an injury which is why he will be omitted but I think it is coming at the right time for him as if the injury wasn't affecting him, I think he was due a spell in the NEAFL anyway to find a bit of form and gain confidence.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
All depends where they want to play Dawson. He was playing down back partly to offset Aliir being in the ruck. Now Aliir is back in the ruck, the door is open for Dawson to move back up the field where he was playing so well.

If Dawson plays up the ground, it'll be an easy swap. But I can also see them trying Dawson down back again, meaning Stoddart goes out and Menzel comes in for Hayward. He's been in better form the last few reserves games, wouldn't surprise me to see him get a shot before the season is out.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
That's why I won't be shocked if Menzel comes in. Sure he doesn't put as much defensive pressure, but if he gets 3 shots at goal he's kicking most of them. Hayward is dead set lucky to kick 1 this season. It happens just having an awful season, him more than any of our side just needs a complete mental break and a full off season. He'll be a better player for this season.

Given our season is over the question remains why won't our club rest/drop players who clearly need it?? Haywood, Florent, McCartin, Blakey. Sure get games into them all, but they don't need to play every single bloody week, and they've added 3 fifths of sweet FA the last few weeks. REST THEM.
This is pure incompetence from the selectors.
A few years ago almost nobody won after a trip to Perth due to the travel. Is this still the case? Our chances of winning this with a bunch of exhausted out of form 20 year olds in close to nil.
We should be playing Menzel, Amartey and Knoll in this game. Who of the later two will look as good as Mclean did the first half last week? Let's find out !
But no, incredibly we are going to let Zac Smith look good. I've no doubt McLean will take it right up to him for a half. He could be a match winner if played as a Fwd/Ruck.
Torn between a last chance to watch Gazza play live, and not wanting to see my team get slaughtered thanks to sheet coaching/selectors.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Out: Hayward, Stoddart
In: Rose, Dawson

That's how I'd go. I think Rose deserves more opportunities than Stoddart does.
They both should be playing. What is there to lose? We need to see them getting used to the level and evaluate. Rose has looked good with his limited opportunities.

mikey_san

Cancelled
Mar 17, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
He doesn’t need to wait...really, he doesn’t!
We need him in the 2s. He has a contract to play footy. He should honour it and help the club. It's not like his playing there is holding back any promising mids. It's rare a champ goes out holding the trophy on grand final day.
Play footy, enjoy it. You're only young once KJ !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back