Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick Oxlong

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 27, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I was generally happy he was getting a game again not having a go at the young kid

He deserves another go regardless of the neafl imo
Stoddart? Yeah I agree, I know you weren’t having a go at him. He’s finding his feet but if he flops this week, we know he’s not ready. He will be next year in my opinion.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
May be mentioned elsewhere (CBAL)
Swans membership pushed through 61671.
Highest ever.
Might translate into a decent crowd sunday.
Remarkable considering the season.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Very keen to see Dawson play further up the ground. Been good as a defender but he's so dangerous anywhere around 50m from goal and he can be precise by foot, dangerous commodity.

Also glad Stoddart didn't get one game and then dropped. Coaches have been better with that this year IMO, letting younger players have a sustained block of seniors footy more than last year.

Giving Carlton Dick was a regrettable moment too.
We didn’t give Carlton Dick. We chopped Dick thinking no one would be interested in touching Dick, but for some reason the Blues found a reason to pick Dick out of the bin and use Dick to fill a hole or two.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I know its a different sport but look at the NBA, raptors Managed Kahwi all year and he was right for the playoffs and they really pinched a championship as others dropped

We havent ever rest for september either which frustrates me

But to me if we want to prolong JPK and Buddy- shut both down now
Heeney looked proppy all year, why not even give a rampe or a parker some time away - go freshen up for next year

Theres no benefit to us to play these key guys out if they are proppy at all

Kawhi Leonard is a ****ing Robot. The only thing we have that resembles one is Melican and his 3 actions of getting the ball to boot.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
Feel bad for Menzel we got him over to Sydney probably thinking we were still a finals contender hasnt really done a lot wrong but is languishing in the NEAFL.
To be fair, he hasn’t done much at all. We should never have bought bought him in the first place - he was never going to be part of our future.

momentbymoment

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2014
Noosa
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Liverpool
thats good

This will sound wrong- love the club, there's positives etc, but we are a chore to watch at times, with the rest of the league as a whole- a lot of it is the game itself, a reasonable amount is the way we play

its quite tedious
There is an argument to say that the AFL has an active policy to discourage our traditional style of play - which is probably why we get so many frees against us for tackling and HTB.

Not sure we will be able to win another prem with a defensive mind set.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Tbh - I thought our trade period reeked of desperation. Couldn’t get anyone we wanted and instead, we clutched at straws.

Menzel was one of those straws.

Well club cant win no trades why didnt we get Menzel or Scully or Watts, people were begging for someone anyone to be traded.
Club gets fringe players in Desperation! not directed at you by the way just a general vibe of the board.

SGBeach

Premiership Player
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Tbh - I thought our trade period reeked of desperation. Couldn’t get anyone we wanted and instead, we clutched at straws.

I don't think Clarke was a desperate trade - Young with games under his belt and affordable. He still may play a role over the next few years.
Thurlow was our 3rd choice at halfback - yep we were desperately clutching
Menzal was free, so why not. He may even have some value in this years trade period?

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
you used to love him :p

I like him because he has won me some dough but Love Him ? I don't thinks so. I do know somebody who loves him though that once said to me he will be the best player in the game and he is probably right. Having said that without him bringing Spurs and the Leonard to my attention I would probably be about 12k lighter in the pocket. Put it this way Raptors Ring into Leonard Finals MVP into Swans beating Eagles @ the SCG into Halep winning Wimbledon is sending me back to 4 weeks in Miami and Vegas again next year. So maybe you are right, maybe I do love him.

Exactly.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't think Clarke was a desperate trade - Young with games under his belt and affordable. He still may play a role over the next few years.
Thurlow was our 3rd choice at halfback - yep we were desperately clutching
Menzal was free, so why not. He may even have some value in this years trade period?

This is an area where I’m critical of the club. Hopefully Clarke and Thurlow come good but....

We delisted Robbo and Towers. Clarke isn’t (yet) an improvement on Robbo. Similar fitness. Similar possessions. Robbo far better disposal.

Thurlow and Towers are different players but by god how we have missed Towers’ versatility (esp Ruck) this season.

Menzel was a free hit but so would Kyle Dunkley have been. And we’d seen enough of him to justify his rookie listing.

This is an area where I’m critical of the club. Hopefully Clarke and Thurlow come good but....

We delisted Robbo and Towers. Clarke isn’t (yet) an improvement on Robbo. Similar fitness. Similar possessions. Robbo far better disposal.

Thurlow and Towers are different players but by god how we have missed Towers’ versatility (esp Ruck) this season.

Menzel was a free hit but so would Kyle Dunkley have been. And we’d seen enough of him to justify his rookie listing.

Spot on BfB.

Both Robbo and Towers suffered from being yo-yo'd. At the end neither showed much belief. A number of times after making position, Robbo would get burnt. I thought he was making a fair fist of tagging last year. IMO he had a better case than Deano.

Clarke provided he develops a meaningful relationship with a Footy in his spare time and the off season may be a long term proposition. I reckon his disposal and decision making has improved over the season.

I really do not see an upside for Thurlow. Early in his career he showed a lot of pace and high quality disposal. Since his knee injury (?), He has been a shadow. He is easily outbodied by Oppo players of the same or larger size and lacks the pace and tricks to keep up with small fwds. He has offered little by way of rebound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back