Autopsy Round 19, 2021: Adelaide defeat Hawthorne

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it’s been obvious in the past but Mitchell’s selfishness around wanting the ball really stood out when taking that mark from Worpel. Call the player in the better position in.

It’s about team first, especially given we are a rebuilding team. Show our younger players the right thing to do, lead by example. I know Mitchell wants the ball at all costs but you can’t be doing that. Last thing we want around our young players.

Young squad, going to be a lot of inconsistency. Also worth remembering our backline is still below strength, where a lot of our drive and creativity comes from.

I'm disappointed mainly with the midfield, as they have most of our experience yet just keep blazing away into the forward line.

Sure, our forward line isn't helping matters, but their follies are more excusable considering Breust is the only forward above 30 odd games. I think supporters need to be a little more realistic about a forward line that is definitely still in the prototype phase.

Also, people calling for Kosi that he "will never make it", should just shush or go support Melbourne if you're going to be that fickle. Forwards take time, and especially those who up until this year, played as a defender. He's shown plenty, he will have down games.

I still think the biggest issue is our midfield. I rarely see any of them try to lower the eyes or play patient. Too often they get close to the 50 and bomb it, and it's just oh so predictable. Still, will be some teething as we blood youngsters.

Thought Neddy, Bramble (aside from a few clangers), some occassions where Lewis played aggressive and Dylan having a really good, consistent game. In particular, Ned was outstanding. Reading his stats post game, had same number of hitouts as Reilly O'Brien and one less hitout to advantage, but 3 more than Big Boy - with Reilly O'Brien being significantly more experienced.

Good signs, just need to keep perservering, trying youth and seeing who can elevate their game to what we need.

Clarko again said lack of polish.

I have been hearing this for 3 years. Incredible to think our coach is referring to poor skills for 3 years.

Is it the cattle? If so make the changes and rectify it.
Ya have to love the man for his commitment and values he has applied to Hawthorn but to trott out the same drivel week after after week about lack of polish is just flat out rinse and repeat rubbish with no inclination to change the cause.
Wingard, Scrimshaw, Bramble, Howe, Moore, Hardwick, TOB… get them in better positions to get them the ball more often for inside 50 deliveries; they are far better than Shiels, Mitchell, Worps, Phillips.
Throw the baby out with the bath water and start Chad, Scrim and Hardwick in the guts… there isn’t anything to lose fromlooking ahead.
Im fascinated as to how the remainder of the season plays out

Ya have to love the man for his commitment and values he has applied to Hawthorn but to trott out the same drivel week after after week about lack of polish is just flat out rinse and repeat rubbish with no inclination to change the cause.
Wingard, Scrimshaw, Bramble, Howe, Moore, Hardwick, TOB… get them in better positions to get them the ball more often for inside 50 deliveries; they are far better than Shiels, Mitchell, Worps, Phillips.
Throw the baby out with the bath water and start Chad, Scrim and Hardwick in the guts… there isn’t anything to lose fromlooking ahead.
Im fascinated as to how the remainder of the season plays out

What really frustrates me no end is the amount of times Flip, Chad, Scrim, Mitch receive the ball on the wrong side of the body and have to stop to a complete halt because they have no right foot and then retreat with the ball, go backwards and allowing the opposition to get back and man up down the field.

This happens every single week. It’s like watching a side with zero cohesion or understanding where and when to give to a player that actually helps us.

Still digesting last night - mostly disappointment for mine.

Bramble is such a great pickup... Moore progressing well. Good to see Lewis and Reeves progressing.

Our midfield is killing me.

Not sure if anyone noticed, our #1 whipping boy was also our #1 mark last night, and #1 contested mark.

I thought our Whipping boy played well and I think we would be silly to let such a versatile player walk at the end of the season!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm so sick of hearing the "lack of polish" line....
Agree 100%

Really lack of polish equates to a lack of skill / ability in your chosen sport.

If I played Roger Federer in tennis, and tried my absolute best but still didn't win a point imagine if at the after match press conference I was like "yeh I was right in that match, it was just my lack of polish that let me down!"

Such a bizzare excuse, it makes zero sense to me. You want to play AFL footy you really need to be able to execute the basic skills like kicking and handballing (lack of polish doesn't really come into the equation)

If I played Roger Federer in tennis, and tried my absolute best but still didn't win a point imagine if at the after match press conference I was like "yeh I was right in that match, it was just my lack of polish that let me down!"
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

TOB looking more and more solid as this years goes on. Maybe he'll have an Earl Spalding like purple patch and give us one full year of his potential over the next year or two.

Elsewhere there are sparks in the team even during this low ebb. I think we can climb back up the ladder if we nail our Midfield picks this year, and find someone to fill Hartigan's gorilla wrestling role until DGB decides how big he's going to get.

Our forwards continue to tease and frustrate. I swear Lewis was doing a 'glimpses' impersonation for half the game. Kosi is good enough to make it, Brockman can be anything with time and persistence. Reeves showing glimpses of his own here and there.

Brambles stocks continue to rise.

I hope we're able to call Horne or Callaghan's name on draft night. Or whoever else is going to be better than them. My head saying it's Finn we need though.

Agree 100%

Really lack of polish equates to a lack of skill / ability in your chosen sport.

Such a bizzare excuse, it makes zero sense to me. You want to play AFL footy you really need to be able to execute the basic skills like kicking and handballing (lack of polish doesn't really come into the equation)

1627183765830.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100%

There is also the element of deferring responsibility.
I can accept lack of polish now and then. But if the polish is always missing, then something has to change.

I’ve seen him just fall over multiple times when trying to run too fast this year. He relied heavily on his athleticism and agility to be a star but his body/age has caught up to him unfortunately.

watching Chad play at the moment is weird. He definitely seems to have lost some zip. He never ever seems to fly for marks anymore. When he was at his best he was almost key forward-like in the air. Now he seems to be inept

Clarko has stuck to the same failing midfield mix for years - why would he change it now?

We also rarely put on a hard tag and normally stick to our structures. I think shiels may have been running with Seedsman and we put worpel on laird in last quarter (which didn’t work). We were in the game and probably didn’t want to change up our midfield too much as were winning the clearances.

These two pieces are just Clarko being Clarko. He’s stubborn. To imply it’s evidence of tanking is drawing a very long bow. It’s unfortunately more likely the stubbornness and failure to change things which is why his contract wasn’t renewed.
The annoying thing for me is that he regularly talks about his commitment to players he brought in like O'Meara and Wingard. Those players have failed him and he can't seem to see it

For what we paid for him , yes …. That’s what we expect.

What we paid for Jaeger , we expect Dangerfield , Martin type performances…

We didn’t pay a high price for role players. They need to be the class …

What this shows is class is drafted with high picks not traded for.

Well at least for us.
1. I'd say Wingard has done more for us than Burton or Duursma has for Port so I'd call it a win in that regard.
2. So class is drafted with high draft picks? You mean like being a #6 draft pick?

Wingard is class, but the thing is you chuck Danger & Dusty in an average team and they aren't going to have the output that they currently have, particularly Dusty.

The funny thing is when we sneak 1 point wins it’s all positive vibes in the post game threads and the opposite is true when we have close losses.

Where we are RN, the end result isn’t as important as the method.

This game was pretty similar to the one down in Tassie - two differences being we didn’t convert our patches of dominance on the scoreboard and Crows were able to move the ball around with ease.

Agree 100%

I always interpret it is ' we aren't good enough or up the level but I'm not going to say it publicy '

Does wear a bit think after every loss and there have been few over the last 18 months

Surrounding O'Meara and Mitchell with likes of Worple, Howe, Phillips, Sheils, Morrison, Cousins, Newcombe etc.. was never going to work consistently.

Some of us have been saying this for years now. TOM and JOM were only going to be effective if surrounded by elite speed and skill.

We have probably tried but ultimatly failed (Wingard, Scully +failed trades).

Time for a massive midfield re set. Bramble is a start, plenty still to do.

Last edited:
Surrounding O'Meara and Mitchell with likes of Worple, Howe, Phillips, Sheils, Morrison, Newcombe etc.. was never going to work consistently.

Some of us have been saying this for years now. TOM and JOM were only going to be effective if surrounded by elite speed and skill.

We have probably tried but ultimatly failed (Wingard, Scully +failed trades).

Time for a massive midfield re set. Bramble is a start, plenty still to do.

Agree 100%. That is where it’s all breaking down.

It’s why I think if Mitchell could be traded for the right price, then it has to be seriously considered.

Add Horne or Callaghan, Day, Bramble and possibly Impey as well, the potential is there for the midfield to be a lot better then what it is right now.

Impey would give us speed and skill as an inside/outside midfielder, Day would add class on the wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back