Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Wells used to do it regularly and Shannon Grant was a freak.

Tarrying looks special but if you go back and watch Wellsy in full flight you will see how special he was.

Tarryn might go past him at this rate though.

Wells was a beautiful footballer. Graceful in the Keithy Greig mould.

Tarryn should go past him like he’s tied to the fence. He’s got the exquisite skills plus the killer instinct.

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
Coach Emeritus Scamper and Coach Sissy Rose both also say the following:
you-magnificent-bastard-i-salute-you.jpg

Archer_11

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Positives:

- Atu looks fantastic, great balance with a strong core. Not sure we'll need both him and Turner down back every game, a good problem to have maybe.
- Really liking Dumont these past few weeks. For a player that could be leaving he's sure making an impact.
- Is it just me or is LDU becoming Cunnington's heir apparent? Another great game.
- Anderson already causing damage and still blowing out the cobwebs.
- Polec - had a skerrick of game time and looked dangerous every second of it
- Phillips clearly on track to be a champion player.
- Despite not hurting the scoreboard, Taylor produced 1%'s all day and did all the right things.
- Larkey and Thomas - goes without saying. A day to remember for both.

Negatives:

- we shouldn't get too excited. Sure it's to our credit that Carlton were rubbish, but come on. They were awful plus had the comp's leading goal kicker out. And I feel for Teague being an ex Roo, a dead man walking from here I reckon.
- Yet more evidence our defence hasn't quite clicked when Tarrant is playing. Definitely persevere but performances like today do little to shut down the discussion.
- I know it makes sense to trade Polec, and I know it was trash time in the game, but as above he looked really handy and I'm not sure i love the idea of letting him go.
- Atu - love him, but also gave away three frees near goal and all height related. Are we going to have a problem playing him down back? If yes, what is his natural position? Perhaps more a question than a negative.

My last point feels a like a negative but it depends on your perspective. In one season with a debutant coach, bottoming out and expecting to take years to build to anything special, it feels like we have a wave of talented youngsters coming through that are improving with every week of game time. And in the ten years we had under Scott, the list of good players that became great you could probably count on one hand. Are we waking from a slumber where we had effectively forgotten where a player's ceiling should be?

I don't want to hate on Scott and maybe it's a little unfair. Maybe we just have a great coaching team now plus a whole bunch of different factors that may or may not endure. But why are so many players developing so quickly after having been stagnant for so long? I guess we just wait and see.

Last edited:
No idea what it means in the long run, but struggling to remember a North team in my time (I'm 27 for what it's worth) which was this electric.

Lots still to sort, but for the first time we don't look like we're chasing tail - we're trying to be innovative, dynamic and modern.

Welcome to the ‘90’s 😎

And in the ten years we had under Scott, the list of good players that became great you could probably count on one hand.

Im genuinely interested to know if can name 5. I suspect it would be easier to name10 who came nowhere near their potential under BS. It’s not hate to say this just a realisation that our club made a bad decision to persist with him as long as we did.
Brads gone, let’s all move on and enjoy the start of a new era at NMFC. One that will hopefully land us our next flag (or two 😀) Go Roos!

chubbspeterson

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty exciting and enjoyable but we still have a ways to go as we slowly introduce the younger talent and phase out the older guys over the next few years.
Blues young crop aren't of the quality of say GWS, Dockers and Bombers.
We might still cop some heavy losses over the next few years while we replace gaps in the list but the improvement is there to see.
TT, Jy, LDU, Larkey, Scott and Taylor developing quite nicely after early adjustment period. Atu and Will Phillips showed some good signs as well.
Have to credit the new coaching group, especially Nobes and Blakey. Enjoy the ride.

I'm not convinced that Bonar is best 22, particularly with the growth in our list this year. I think he's depth.

We need 30 player capable of being best 22 at any given time to manage injuries, weather, matchups etc.

He is best 22 in this context. He was fantastic this year down back and really grew into that role.

Kangaroo Cat

Club Legend
Jun 2, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let me tell you a story young person:

Is this why they get called blue baggers?

We need 30 player capable of being best 22 at any given time to manage injuries, weather, matchups etc.

This to me is the key, big props to the likes of Larkey, UDL, Thomas and WilPhil who were outstanding, but i reckon the key to our ongoing success is the likes of Atu, Turner, Taylor and Scott who were all excellent yesterday. I'd definitely have Atu in my votes and the others showed a lot of promise.

Xerri is an interesting one, he frees up Larkey to do his thing but he'll need to start clunking some pack marks soon.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
9 goal assists from the combination of Atu, Jed and Bailey. An amazing stat remembering these 3 weren't playing a few matches go.

This is what happens with a better balanced team.

Atu with great dash - don't worry about those couple of frees he gave away - that's a learning - and one of them wasn't a free anyway.

Jed being 'a real and present danger' in the forward 50 with pressure that the opposition respects.

Bailey with his link up and ball use.

These 3 must remain in.

Ah yes the 90's when I went to the footy each week expecting to win, no matter what the circumstances, great times. I vote for these times to be reinstated.

The expectation that we will win no matter what is what I want to feel again.

Not that were are a chance or if it goes well.

None of that.

I want to feel that winning is our goddamn right and if the other team want it well they'll have to earn it.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wow. Incredible. I was pretty bullish on what Noble had brought in (even early in the year) but I didn’t expect this type of trajectory.

Positives:
- Our young midfield - TT, Jesus Christ. Simpkin, gave Walsh a real lesson today, amazing leader performance from a young player. LDU, he keeps building and is becoming very consistent. Phillips, best game shame he got subbed. Stephenson, thanks Pies.
- Souv was excellent with a big bag of 7.
- Our two goal kicking mids - TT & JS. I was really hopeful that we’d see them both getting 20+ and 2+ goals in a few years… That’s already happened. Unbelievable.
- We beat Essendon last week with Cunnington IMO.
- McKay was a dominant force down back.
- Turner is having some sort of year, Betts didn’t get near it.
- Bailey Scott’s best game for the club, thought he was excellent.
- Really happy that Jed made that HFF role his own today. New role for him to enable our young mids to continue their development, and he did a great job. Also gave us some relief later in the game when Cunners was off and he was able to step into the middle.
- Atu’s best game at the level. I had question marks about him but he was great. Still so young. Our back 6 is by far our most aged group, so the development of him & others are critical.

I could go on, but instead I’ll just watch the replay.

Kanga Kanga Kanga!!!
I was coming on this morning to give a few thoughts, and you've already summarised it to a tee; only to add Curtis Taylor played a game; really getting up and down the ground as a HFF, and turning up in the F50 as a pressure forward - his hand ball release to Phillips in the first quarter for our first goal was footy smart, and the tackle on Weiterung to force a turnover-goal in the third were highlights

Last edited:
Jy Simpkin absolutely destroyed Sam Walsh. Comprehensively deleted him

It's probably pretty obvious how I rate this bloke as a leader and player. He has Captain written all over him. Gets a job, smashes it out of the park and is getting massively consistent numbers no matter what we ask of him in there. Gun.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love Wells, but Tarryn will give him absolute wind burn in the NMFC player rankings.

I dont think they will even be in the same conversation when comparing their relative peaks.
I certainly can't remember the last time we had a 21 year old mid kick 4, with 5 tackles and 7 I50s. I seem to recall being at a game when Bastinac had a day out early doors, but there's no comparison between them

flojo

All Australian
Jul 28, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shout out to LDUs game .
when the camera changed angle to ground level you could really see his explosiveness. And along with Curtis I was noticing them constantly in defense helping out, both working hard both ways.
Must’ve taken up touch footy or something because this midfield and their shimmering and side stepping is blowing my mind

Last edited:
May 8, 2003
Hamish Paradise
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Islanders, Nuggets
+ Size
+ Inside ability
+ Consistent scoreboard impact
+ Aerial Ability
+ General Kicking

Wellsy had that freakish Krakouer cerebral vision and ability to make things happen when near the ball, but Wellsy was about a 7/10 kick. Tarryn is a 9.5/10 kick.

Wellsy developed his inside game as he got older. Tarryn is as good a clearance player now as Wells probably ever was.

Like I said, I think he's going to go way past him.

Tarryn will probably be a 6"3 90+ kg at his peak. Just different animals.
I think a lot of it comes down to Wells being a major introvert. He didn't want to be the man. And it seemed to get worse as he got older.

Back