Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep reading we can't have Rich ,Lester and Birchall in the same team and whilst I understand the sentiment we've also got Payne and Madden in there so who does anyone propose we bring in , presuming Lester and Adams remain unavailable.

I keep reading we can't have Rich ,Lester and Birchall in the same team and whilst I understand the sentiment we've also got Payne and Madden in there so who does anyone propose we bring in , presuming Lester and Adams remain unavailable.

Shift Ah Chee down back for Birchall. Lester and Payne make way for Adams and Gardiner when fit.

Brilliant come back but god the suns were piss weak that last half. Loved Robbo obviously, JL and Richy. I lost my head about Birchall during the game- still thinking it, has to go.

I always thought we brought in Cockatoo to play of HB.
Although been playing mid the last few VFL games.
Been a fan of Birchall although almost time.. Although Madden and Payne not setting the world on fire,
Rather Ah Chee forward even though he had zero stats first half.

Mitch, Linc, Big O and Lyons only reason we where in the game.
Gave a vote to Joe as even though he &(* me at times with vision and goal kicking.
3-4 and 19 disposals.. He presented a lot had chances. Kicked 2 impossible goals missed 3 easier ones :(
Starc and Rich good
Fullarton had a good game. Showed something more then he has in the VFL

I always thought we brought in Cockatoo to play of HB.
Although been playing mid the last few VFL games.
Been a fan of Birchall although almost time.. Although Madden and Payne not setting the world on fire,
Rather Ah Chee forward even though he had zero stats first half.

Mitch, Linc, Big O and Lyons only reason we where in the game.
Gave a vote to Joe as even though he &(* me at times with vision and goal kicking.
3-4 and 19 disposals.. He presented a lot had chances. Kicked 2 impossible goals missed 3 easier ones :(
Starc and Rich good
Fullarton had a good game. Showed something more then he has in the VFL

Cockatoo was horrible down back in the reserves. Think we just need to get him playing and then we can look at different roles

Madden has been getting more of the ball running through middle of the ground, which stands out so much because we don't usually have that kind of run off half back. Still looks a bit lost knowing what to do about it after getting it (see that telegraphed handball when he got to the forward 50), but it's promising to see.

Thought Berry ran out the game well. He didn't get a lot of it, and still looks like he's working into it, but it's useful having someone with his tank getting from contest to contest.

Oscar took advantage of a big mismatch in the ruck well, and his tactic of clearing the ball away from the stoppage himself nullified what he would've been giving away to Burgess once the ball hit the ground.

McCluggage had a poor first half but lifted significantly in the second half, and was probably our best during that time. His inside 50s kicks are generally a step above what we usually get in there.

Agreed with those above that suggested it was Lyons, Robbo and McCarthy that kept us within touching distance in that first half. Seemed to be the only ones with passable effort in the first half.

Five best for me were Lyons, Robinson, McInerney, McCarthy and McCluggage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tale of two halves but like I said, we were honestly right in it at half time. A bunch of lucky goals with assistance from the officials at critical times. We weren’t playing bad footy!
I loved the adjustments at half time. They did go into their shells a bit but we were set up so much better behind the ball! credit to the coaching staff! The forwards will gel soon enough! Fullartons hands for a big man are so good! Berry finding some form near the end is great too! We can build on this game greatly!

side note: Geez there is some carry on in this place when we get down!!

Can someone summarise what happened in the second half. Were we really good? Did the Suns stink it up?

Dominated contested footy. Forward pressure great. Basically won it out of the middle and kept it in our forward half

Can someone summarise what happened in the second half. Were we really good? Did the Suns stink it up?

Suns absolutely stunk it up in the third at least. Every second disposal was to our advantage. Once we got a run on late in the third the suns couldn't do much to stop us.

Think they let us back in.

Charlie needs to watch and repeat that last quarter every week. The tackling and pressure lead to 2 direct goals and he got another gimme himself at the end too.

If he can show some enthusiasm and energy up there, then between him and Linc in particular, teams will really struggle to get the ball out of D50.

Last edited:
Cockatoo was horrible down back in the reserves. Think we just need to get him playing and then we can look at different roles
he was pretty out of touch when we played him there.
I now agree with the crowd Birchall time is up. he missed too many targets of later.
Although who replaces him.. I rather Ah Chee up forward. Madden and Payne last few weeks been sketchy as well.
Adams/Gardiner come back for you think Lester or Payne.
Although who takes Birchall spot.. Do we just move Ah Chee back or try Cockatoo there.
Try Ballenden? Easy to say Birchall out although who is in? T Berry, Joyce and Matho been good last few times I watched VFL games although not HB.

Back