Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Rich is a wonderful asset to our team - unbelievably courageous and plays his role to perfection more often than not. He is not lazy.

Lackadaisical without ball in hand is probably more the word. Asset with ball in hand yes, courageous marker yes. Defensive accountability, big question mark. It was on display in the first half.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Can someone put together a gif of Swallow gifting Dan that goal? I've watched many times and it's still a giggle.

I love a good stuff up

1627182156719.gif

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just watched the game.
Not to do with our gameplay but omg the barracking for the suns from the commentators was maddening and I already knew the result!
Now on to the game and the players, so many players just seem off, I don’t know if it’s the uncertainty of where we are playing and when etc or not having the same amount of support with all the cut backs. We seem to have had a lot of injuries and while they happen, we seem to be getting a lot of the little niggles and things popping up which I think are usually more manageable.
Thrilled Clugga is finding his form again. Loved Mitch. Yea he might not be the most talented guy but he never gives up. Hoping this lights up Charlie! J Bez working back into some form. Tommy F did some nice things.
Rich was stellar as usual.
As others have said Birchall wasn’t great and the few good things he did in the second half don’t outweigh his poor out put earlier.

I don't think it's any coincidence that we've looked our best when McCluggage has spent time on the ball and not on the wing.

I like the idea of having Berry on the wing and playing as a spare at stoppages while Mitch Robbo does the defensive wing work. Allows Clugg to do what he does best on the ball and gives us the bigger bodied Berry around stoppages.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think it's any coincidence that we've looked our best when McCluggage has spent time on the ball and not on the wing.

I like the idea of having Berry on the wing and playing as a spare at stoppages while Mitch Robbo does the defensive wing work. Allows Clugg to do what he does best on the ball and gives us the bigger bodied Berry around stoppages.

Was he on the ball in the second half?

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Watching Joe can be frustrating at times, but then you realise that he's like a kid playing the game, he's out there just playing for the pure joy of the sport. I'll take the good with the bad.
That’s the best description of Joey I have ever heard! Love it!!

That was my thought watching it. Just looks like he is having fun out there.

He gets a lot of flack, but 1.8 goals a game (3.8 shots a game which is a very good average per game, if he can convert a few more opportunities!) + 15 touches a game is a very good return for a guy building fitness and form after years of injury plagued seasons. Look at Lincs form in 2021 after a few full pre-seasons. Joe is delivering a strong return and is only going to get better.

Surly Boy

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2011
Brisneyland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He gets a lot of flack, but 1.8 goals a game (3.8 shots a game which is a very good average per game, if he can convert a few more opportunities!) + 15 touches a game is a very good return for a guy building fitness and form after years of injury plagued seasons. Look at Lincs form in 2021 after a few full pre-seasons. Joe is delivering a strong return and is only going to get better.
Have enjoyed the Joe show, with all its ups and downs! I hope his body can stay healthy and he does indeed get better over the next few years #Scary

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
IMO the answer is quite simple, we have demonstrated over the last 3 seasons that we are a potent attacking side when we're on.... We have to play with a high level of intensity and pressure for the full 4 quarters while defending, around the contest and in transition from turnover, we get shown up when our pressure is off due to an overall team lack of pace.

If we can manage that we can beat anyone IMO.

On another note Bontempelli is in fantastic form and needs tagging, if we meet the Dogs in finals who do we put on him? Jarrod Berry/Mitch Robinson?
Mitch Robbo was on Sharp yesterday who "ripped us a new one" early. J.Berry still isn't justifying anywhere near a place in the best 22 in my opinion however I understand Fagan wanting games into him before finals start. Not sure who is best to tag any opposition player should we feel the need to. Our main weakness is our midfield & ruck should they not play close to their best. Most sides we have lost to this season have dominated our mid's and slaughtered Big O. We desperately need another good midfielder. Sloane would be an ideal recruit.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Watching Joe can be frustrating at times, but then you realise that he's like a kid playing the game, he's out there just playing for the pure joy of the sport. I'll take the good with the bad.
I love watching Joe . He looks like a big goofy kid playing the game he loves .
I can forgive him his stuff ups because he is fun to watch 👌

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mitch Robbo was on Sharp yesterday who "ripped us a new one" early. J.Berry still isn't justifying anywhere near a place in the best 22 in my opinion however I understand Fagan wanting games into him before finals start. Not sure who is best to tag any opposition player should we feel the need to. Our main weakness is our midfield & ruck should they not play close to their best. Most sides we have lost to this season have dominated our mid's and slaughtered Big O. We desperately need another good midfielder. Sloane would be an ideal recruit.
Hes 31 and contracted for a few more years iirc

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I love watching Joe . He looks like a big goofy kid playing the game he loves .
I can forgive him his stuff ups because he is fun to watch 👌
no idea why a lot of Joe hate.
He really seems to be having fun out there and enjoying himself.
His kicking on a set shot you close your eyes
he probably burnt everyone in the forward line multiple times. Bailey done it a bit as well.
not great defensively we have a few other people on that train.
Although almost 2 goals a game and looking at stats. 33 vs 35 goals for Charlie
3rd Score involvements..Behind Zorko and Clugga
Second shots at goal behind Charlie. Although played up the ground more.
Offensively been great for us.. Yes can work on a few things..
Imagine if Hipwood went down and Joe was not there.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Apparently we led inside 50s; 34-22 in the first half.

beardancer

Team Captain
Oct 16, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
no idea why a lot of Joe hate.
He really seems to be having fun out there and enjoying himself.
His kicking on a set shot you close your eyes
he probably burnt everyone in the forward line multiple times. Bailey done it a bit as well.
not great defensively we have a few other people on that train.
Although almost 2 goals a game and looking at stats. 33 vs 35 goals for Charlie
3rd Score involvements..Behind Zorko and Clugga
Second shots at goal behind Charlie. Although played up the ground more.
Offensively been great for us.. Yes can work on a few things..
Imagine if Hipwood went down and Joe was not there.
"no idea"......Really?
I just don't rate guys that don't play team football.

Just finished watching the game for the first time. From the score progression I was expecting a lot worse in the first half. Gc definately brought the pressure, but we didn't start panicking like we did with Richmond. Still took control and slowed the game down a few times.

I would love to get recording of the Fagan half time chat to the boys. He's all Mr nice and grandfatherly, but it's a disguise for a fiercely competitive nature. Mitch had said there are times when players don't want to rotate to the bench and face Fagan. Would love to hear it in full flight.

Whatever he says, works. Players came out and looked like us a month ago.

Hope this is like the round five victory and we win the next six, and one for Goodluck. That would win us the premiership. Easy.

Back