Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Completely disagree.
We actually started playing footy after half time.
Before that it was a walk in the park.
Gold Coast tried to defend their lead, totally dropped their pressure on the ball, almost completely stopped their run and overlap.

The closer we got in the 3rd quarter, the more they played back off the man, allowing us to control our kick out of our defensive 50.

After scoring the first in the fourth quarter, they just gave up. There was little to no pressure on the ball, and we mostly just chipped it around and it became a training run.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gold Coast tried to defend their lead, totally dropped their pressure on the ball, almost completely stopped their run and overlap.

The closer we got in the 3rd quarter, the more they played back off the man, allowing us to control our kick out of our defensive 50.

After scoring the first in the fourth quarter, they just gave up. There was little to no pressure on the ball, and we mostly just chipped it around and it became a training run.

Gold Coast was s**t in the second half but the game was much more even in the first then the scoreboard would suggest. Our goal kicking was shocking and they got a few from frees like the Starcevich one and the free King got off the ball. Then there were a few dumb errors by Birchall, Lester and Payne.

I think we led inside 50s in the second quarter 15 to 6.

Gold Coast, as they often do, spent all their tickets in the first half and we had plenty left in the tank.

Also, if Oscar played the first half like he did the second the result may have been very different.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Gold Coast was sh*t in the second half but the game was much more even in the first then the scoreboard would suggest. Our goal kicking was shocking and they got a few from frees like the Starcevich one and the free King got off the ball. Then there were a few dumb errors by Birchall, Lester and Payne.

I think we led inside 50s in the second quarter 15 to 6.

Gold Coast, as they often do, spent all their tickets in the first half and we had plenty left in the tank.

Also, if Oscar played the first half like he did the second the result may have been very different.
That’s what I’ve been saying, politely. It was mostly on them, not us clicking in to gear. They let us click in to gear.

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the first half I thought Lester was our best defender on the ground.
I thought Froggy did well first half as well. Payne,Birchall and Andrews where not that great.
All the we need to drop x,y and z..

Anyone been watching the VFL games

Cockatoo I say in next week for someone he was coming along well. Sub tonight sort of indicates he close.
Otherwise it has been Matho, T Berry, Joyce and Ballenden who played well in games I watched. Add Prior when he went back last.
so do we bring Prior in for Birchall? or Ballenden. People want Froggy dropped so who for?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LIONS08

Club Legend
Mar 17, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I'm in the camp that thinks Ballenden has something to offer and like Fullarton will go a lot better in the Seniors than in the Ressies. Unlike smaller ball getting types who have all the chances in the world in the Ressies to show what they've got.

I figure with Daniher if his teammates have no idea what he's going to do nor do the opposition. He's really big ,athletic and unpredictable and is winning enough of the ball to be in our most valuable players. But geeze ,just slot it through mate, blazing away every time is for amateurs.

Likewise Bailey has special talent and once he learns to lower his eyes a bit more and realise how much space he has on opponents he'll become a far more damaging player.

If we can get Adams and Gardiner back and Berry can find some form we're competitive with the good sides , but we just need another gun in the M/F to ice our cake . If....

I really liked our forward set up today with Daniher given some space further up the ground and Charlie and Linc targets with Fullarton unmarked on occasions. I've got faith in Ah Chee , there's something untapped there , he's been pushed all over the ground, just hasn't found his niche yet.
Ah Chee just needs to understand how good he could be! Then it will all click for him!

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought we were no chance at half time, Suns just looked to want it more and were running us off our feet, my summary >

View attachment 1185755

1627133756044.png

The first half we applied no pressure at all so Gold Coast were able to do as they liked. We didn’t allow that to happen in the second half which is why they were unable to do what they did in the first half.
I will give the Brisbane Lions the credit for winning that game of football not that Gold Coast lost it.
When the Lions lifted they were just unable to go with them.
Which was very noticeable at the game.

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
What a turnaround.

That was the boys from 3 weeks ago. Hugh needs to be played on ball rather then in his wing role now. He is past that

Good game by Tommy Fullarton too. I’d called for him to be dropped but he showed he should be persisted with today. Couple of contested marks and I noticed we used him closer to goals at times where he was able to bring the ball to ground like McStay or Joe can but he was better when it hit the deck.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
In the first half I thought Lester was our best defender on the ground.

He was terrible along with most of our defenders in the 1st half. Individually cost goals & will only survive another week due to lack of competition.

Starcs job on Rankine was clearly the best effort of all defenders.

What a turnaround.

That was the boys from 3 weeks ago. Hugh needs to be played on ball rather then in his wing role now. He is past that

Good game by Tommy Fullarton too. I’d called for him to be dropped but he showed he should be persisted with today. Couple of contested marks and I noticed we used him closer to goals at times where he was able to bring the ball to ground like McStay or Joe can but he was better when it hit the deck.

Tom looked to be playing "bigger". Just looked more comfortable utilising his size, and as a consequence he was more influential.

Which goal was better; the Linc double soccer goal or Joes hack out of the air? I liked Lincs better
McStay's pluck and kick.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We play like that against a better quality side and there is no way they would allow a second 1/2 comeback like yesterday. A 49 point win is great but really didn't excite me in thinking we will threaten in the final series should we put on another display similar top that one.
Not sure what the answer is but hope Fagan & Co find it real soon.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
We play like that against a better quality side and there is no way they would allow a second 1/2 comeback like yesterday. A 49 point win is great but really didn't excite me in thinking we will threaten in the final series should we put on another display similar top that one.
Not sure what the answer is but hope Fagan & Co find it real soon.
IMO the answer is quite simple, we have demonstrated over the last 3 seasons that we are a potent attacking side when we're on.... We have to play with a high level of intensity and pressure for the full 4 quarters while defending, around the contest and in transition from turnover, we get shown up when our pressure is off due to an overall team lack of pace.

If we can manage that we can beat anyone IMO.

On another note Bontempelli is in fantastic form and needs tagging, if we meet the Dogs in finals who do we put on him? Jarrod Berry/Mitch Robinson?

Back