Review Round 19, 2021 - Brisbane Lions vs. Gold Coast

Who were your five best players against Gold Coast?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We play like that against a better quality side and there is no way they would allow a second 1/2 comeback like yesterday. A 49 point win is great but really didn't excite me in thinking we will threaten in the final series should we put on another display similar top that one.
Not sure what the answer is but hope Fagan & Co find it real soon.

Our first half wasn’t that bad

marooned

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He was great yesterday. Only thing he is guilty of is trying too hard and being a bit skittish infront of goal.
I wouldn't go that far. Missed a couple of sitters, wheels and sprays it without looking. He got plenty of it and pulls things off that not many can do. Rocks or diamonds

Not sure what to think on Daniher, mercurial one minute.Mug lair the next.
They're the same term, just depending on whether you like the guy or not. :D

McIvor

Club Legend
May 21, 2020
Sunshine Beach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I almost walked out at half time I was that angry. Credit to the boys tho, just steamrolled there way thru in the second half and become quite fun.

Still don't like our overall list make up and don't think we are anywhere near a premiership in the coming year, but yesterday was food for the soul really. Havent been happy the past few weeks but at least I wake up feeling good again.

The Dogs are next level tho and I reckon we would get spanked playing them at Etihad or the G.

Mitch was a bull and Lyons great after 2 Ashcrofy medals.. I liked HArris game too

Joe going for goal and not passing to Berry isn’t good enough. I hope that’s not one of those things that just gets left because he is a unique player. That could have been a crucial missed goal that makes the difference to our year if the Suns hadn’t stopped playing.

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Im still happy to own my half time melts. I'm still critical of how much Fagan plays his favourites (as some point out its a strength and weakness how much he backs them). I think he takes too long to make changes but to the team and on gamedays.

And the same I'm still critical of Birchall in the team. He and some of slower defenders get absolutely exposed when the other team are running hot forward. When our midfield pressure is up it covers up the cracks down back. Personally don't think we should risk him against the better teams and should move past him

Also early in the year I was critical of Mitch and thought we needed to move to a new wing option. He has blown me away the recently with how well he's been going. Just has so much desire to fight on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

davemc_lions

Premiership Player
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Joe going for goal and not passing to Berry isn’t good enough. I hope that’s not one of those things that just gets left because he is a unique player. That could have been a crucial missed goal that makes the difference to our year if the Suns hadn’t stopped playing.
Bailey burnt Charlie as well.
Had a few tonight who did not have a look
We having lots of inside 50's that go no where this year

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I almost walked out at half time I was that angry. Credit to the boys tho, just steamrolled there way thru in the second half and become quite fun.

Still don't like our overall list make up and don't think we are anywhere near a premiership in the coming year, but yesterday was food for the soul really. Havent been happy the past few weeks but at least I wake up feeling good again.

The Dogs are next level tho and I reckon we would get spanked playing them at Etihad or the G.

Mitch was a bull and Lyons great after 2 Ashcrofy medals.. I liked HArris game too

The list is not in as good a shape as some would have us believe no genuine midfield talent to come in. Lacking key forward development and key defense as well. We seem to have an abundance of half backs, (which is not surprising given we drafted that way three years in succession) none of which are banging the door down.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On the quiet

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Don't know what to make of that game. Suns were terrific first half and we were dire. Second half the Suns were atrocious they basically just stopped running. We lifted our efforts and got rewarded so thats pleasing. We are still long way from our best but here's hoping that second half gives the players a bit of belief back in their legs.

Great to see Big O fight back after a poor fortnight. Certainly helps when you are not getting double teamed. Also I think Fagan gave Fullarton more time in the ruck today than he would have with Daniher as the second ruck. Those extra mins rest may have helped Oscar.

Great to see Lyons win the medal twice in the same year to further embarrass the Suns. That said Linc was unlucky I thought he was brilliant. McCluggage after poor first half really lifted in the last half as did Zorks. Daniher could have easily kicked 5 goals but he still concerns me. Charlie improved but he is massive front runner. We need him to lift when things are tough.

Jack Payne was awful. He can't stay in the team. I saw a couple times where he just couldn't be bothered chasing. Some really tame efforts. I would give Ballenden a game next week if he is fit. Birchall was average as well. Also I'm not sold on Jarrod Berry either. Could hardly get into a gallop today. Imagine they will continue with him but he would need to improve 10 fold on what he has shown in his 2 games in the last month.

Credit to Mitch Robinson who ripped in from start to finish. He turns it over more than anyone but he work rate was outstanding.
At the game, really loved the effort of Starc on Rankine. just a great performance, and his stats are not great because he simply took Rankine out of the game. I did not mind him giving away that penalty either.
Loved the game of Lync, senses the moment and kicked a couple of important goals when game still in the balance.
Robinson just rips in and loved his attitude. Maybe bombs the ball a little, but he provides some momentum and aggression when needed
I would have been disappointed if Oscar could not get over Burgess.
Fullarton was handy at times and that linking role seemed to match some of his strengths of endurance and relatively good below his knees. Worth persisting with as long as we don't expect him to be a power forward. He is not a contested beast nor possesses great speed, but will run all day.
Payne had a poor 1Q. I thought he improved, especially in the 2nd half and what was evident at the ground is how far Corbett was prepared to run from FF to all over the ground, certainly has some aerobic capacity. I think after only a dozen or so games Payne is worth persisting with, certainly for 2022, but prefer him to gain experience playing on the bigger forwards. Generally accepted that KPP take a little longer, and Gardner, Andrews and Hipwood seemed to take 50 or 60 games to find their feet and confidence, so at this stage would stick with Fullarton and Payne for the next few games, with an eye on 2022.

What is a pass for a defender, when marking a key forward or key inside 50 target? In good playing conditions, 2 goals is a pass, but maybe now in higher scoring games, and the on the mark rule, 3 goals is the maximum before a defender has not done a role. Probably too simplistic as there are other factors.

Watching Joe can be frustrating at times, but then you realise that he's like a kid playing the game, he's out there just playing for the pure joy of the sport. I'll take the good with the bad.

Your childhood Aussie rules experience was different to mine.

Back