Autopsy Round 19, 2021: West Coast v St.Kilda *SHARMAN DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

I need a few to put their hand up and say they were wrong before I can entertain another round of club bashing
And those that wanted him at Sandy

Another positive in Max's game is the confidence he should get in his long kicking. He has a massive kick on him, without looking like he's trying to kick it that far. Hits long kicks very smoothly. This one from early in the game is one he could easily take a ping at. I reckon if he was in this position at the end of the game with his confidence up, he'd take the shot instead of trying to set it up.
Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 8.18.59 pm.png

I need a few to put their hand up and say they were wrong before I can entertain another round of club bashing

I never admit anything. Perfection is my thing, it would be bad for my image as the level headed guy on here.

Another positive in Max's game is the confidence he should get in his long kicking. He has a massive kick on him, without looking like he's trying to kick it that far. Hits long kicks very smoothly. This one from early in the game is one he could easily take a ping at. I reckon if he was in this position at the end of the game with his confidence up, he'd take the shot instead of trying to set it up.
View attachment 1187952
He could have ran in 20m judging by the slack checking by the man on the mark

I his 12 games pre-bye he kicked 16 goals, at 35% efficiency.

In the 5 games post-bye he’s kicked 14 goals @70% efficiency.

Up to round 12 he had kicked multiple goals 3 times and multiple behinds 7 times. Since then he has kicked multiple goals 5 times and multiple behinds 0 times.

Massive turnaround. 16.4 compared to 14.23 (which becomes 9.21 if you exclude the first WC game)

History suggests he may have played his career-saving 6 weeks of good footy and now he reverts back to his usual form.
There’s probably a very good chance of that but his tagging form has dropped off and when that happens he’s really just another average mid.

Coaches Votes totals:

75: Steele (11 games polled in)
31: Dunstan (4)
22: Crouch (5)
15: King (3)
13: Membrey (3), Billings (2), Hill (2)
12: Jones (2)
11: Ryder (2)
8: Highmore (2)
7: Sinclair (2)
6: Ross (3), Wilkie (2), Gresham (1), Higgins (1)
4: Howard (1)
3: Clark (2), Marshall (2)
2: Butler (1)
1: Webster (1)

20 players with votes. Players with 10 games or more this season and zero votes:

Battle
Coffield
Long
Byrnes
Bytel

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s probably a very good chance of that but his tagging form has dropped off and when that happens he’s really just another average mid.

I thought his lesser form in that game was more to do with having only him and Steele playing on the inside so he found it harder to find space. For what ever reason we took Crouch and Jones out of the middle and played Jones more as an outside receiver which I guess was to get the ball out and moving but both Dunstan and Steele were really struggling to make an impact when it was just the two of them. We sent Crouch back to get Hill up around the midfield too. Butler came up to play outside mid. It ended up a poor coaching decision all round. Apart from Hill and Butler finding a bit of form the midfield was a fail and took away our one point of recent strength. The defence also looked under pressure without a more blue collar midfield.

Coaches Votes totals:

75: Steele (11 games polled in)
31: Dunstan (4)
22: Crouch (5)
15: King (3)
13: Membrey (3), Billings (2), Hill (2)
12: Jones (2)
11: Ryder (2)
8: Highmore (2)
7: Sinclair (2)
6: Ross (3), Wilkie (2), Gresham (1), Higgins (1)
4: Howard (1)
3: Clark (2), Marshall (2)
2: Butler (1)
1: Webster (1)

20 players with votes. Players with 10 games or more this season and zero votes:

Battle
Coffield
Long
Byrnes
Bytel

Dunny second despite only playing 9 games is a fair effort. I thought Crouch might have a few more. Billings better than I imagined and must have done his best work early. Membrey too better than expected.

I thought his lesser form in that game was more to do with having only him and Steele playing on the inside so he found it harder to find space. For what ever reason we took Crouch and Jones out of the middle and played Jones more as an outside receiver which I guess was to get the ball out and moving but both Dunstan and Steele were really struggling to make an impact when it was just the two of them. We sent Crouch back to get Hill up around the midfield too. Butler came up to play outside mid. It ended up a poor coaching decision all round. Apart from Hill and Butler finding a bit of form the midfield was a fail and took away our one point of recent strength. The defence also looked under pressure without a more blue collar midfield.
He is no superstar so it is to be expected he will have a bad game now and then. Same amount of possessions (misleading) as J.Steele but Steele had 13 tackles. Expect big improvements this week.

He is no superstar so it is to be expected he will have a bad game now and then. Same amount of possessions (misleading) as J.Steele but Steele had 13 tackles. Expect big improvements this week.

Dunny seemed to just disappear after half time and started well. I wonder if they sat a player on him. You imagine Steele was tagged out but Dunstan seemed to be running free then go missing.

That's not quite the case. Just watched the second hald and Crouch didn't go back. He went to less centre bounces in the second half than the first, but that was because he spent more time on the bench and he started at half forward a couple of times very late in the match. Still rotated mainly between midfield and bench though. Butler just played a high half forward role. Always started as a forward and had the high rolling role where they go up and get involved. Didn't attend any centre bounces as a midfielder or a winger. Dunstan is probably the one who had the biggest change. He played very little midfield in the second half - played as a half forward for most of it. His game time was also low in the second half. Jones still played mainly midfield in the second half. Hill only changed roles in the last quarter where he moved up to a wing. Was half back until then. The only players to go through the midfield in the second half were Steele, Jones, Ross, Crouch, Dunstan so it wasn't any less blue collar.

I didn't think those adjustments were poor coaching. Our second half was pretty good really.

That's not quite the case. Just watched the second hald and Crouch didn't go back. He went to less centre bounces in the second half than the first, but that was because he spent more time on the bench and he started at half forward a couple of times very late in the match. Still rotated mainly between midfield and bench though. Butler just played a high half forward role. Always started as a forward and had the high rolling role where they go up and get involved. Didn't attend any centre bounces as a midfielder or a winger. Dunstan is probably the one who had the biggest change. He played very little midfield in the second half - played as a half forward for most of it. His game time was also low in the second half. Jones still played mainly midfield in the second half. Hill only changed roles in the last quarter where he moved up to a wing. Was half back until then. The only players to go through the midfield in the second half were Steele, Jones, Ross, Crouch, Dunstan so it wasn't any less blue collar.

I didn't think those adjustments were poor coaching. Our second half was pretty good really.
Good to have that clarified.

I suspect we had to make some changes because we weren’t able to keep up with their speed in the midfield (especially Kelly) and that’s why we moved Seb in there (to tag Kelly, which he did really well), and that of course meant that someone like Luke (who Kelly was far too quick for) had to make way in that 2nd half, so that Seb could go in there.

It was not a “move that failed” or an experiment, it was something that was done out of necessity, to stem the bleeding, and it completely changed the momentum of the game, which had been quickly slipping away from us.

As good as the Steele/Crouch/Dunstan combo has generally been, it was always going to be vulnerable to a midfield with some real speed in it, and that was very much the case in the first half on Saturday. Thankfully they didn’t have Shuey as well!

Last edited:
It was not a “move that failed” or an experiment, it was something that was done out of necessity, to stem the bleeding, and it completely changed the momentum of the game, which had been quickly slipping away from us.

As good as the Steele/Crouch/Dunstan combo has generally been, it was always going to be vulnerable to a midfield with some real speed in it, and that was very much the case in the first half on Saturday. Thankfully they didn’t have Shuey as well!

Finally…..a Plan B!

Finally…..a Plan B!
It’s part of the reason I don’t agree with those who want us to cut Seb loose. He can plug a lot of holes, and he’s by far our best suited to tagging those quick guys like Kelly, who can run rings around someone like Luke.

He was also probably our best across our two finals last year, and that’s nothing to sneeze at.

It’s part of the reason I don’t agree with those who want us to cut Seb loose. He can plug a lot of holes, and he’s by far our best suited to tagging those quick guys like Kelly, who can run rings around someone like Luke.

He was also probably our best across our two finals last year, and that’s nothing to sneeze at.

All very well to cut players loose but we still need solid B grade players in the team. That’s why I’m iffy about Billings going as well.

Last edited:
All very well to cut players loose but we still need solid B grade players in the team. That’s why on iffy about Billings going as well.
About the only way it will make sense is if we are letting them go so that we get the trade assets (including cap space) to get someone from another club, that will fill an even greater need that we currently have.

Like when we had all of King, Marshall, Bruce, Membrey and Battle (and were about to get Ryder) and we let Bruce go, so that we could get someone who filled a greater need, in Jones.

Rather than have an excess of marking options for the forward line and a dearth of speed and depth in the midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back