Review Round 19 - Brisbane Lions v Geelong Cats

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Lester’s mis-kick just before halftime killed us. Instead of going into half-time with a 1 point lead, he gifts the cats a goal, and then they get another quick one out of the center bounce, so go to halftime with an 11 point deficit. Completely lost momentum and the cats come out and put on another 3 goals strait after halftime.

We may not have won, but that took us out of the game.

Beams was great, Dizzy another amazing game, Witherden was excellent off half back, McStay a great target. My last vote went to Squizzy who ran hard all day. Zorko unlucky

Lester’s mis-kick just before halftime killed us. Instead of going into half-time with a 1 point lead, he gifts the cats a goal, and then they get another quick one out of the center bounce, so go to halftime with an 11 point deficit. Completely lost momentum and the cats come out and put on another 3 goals strait after halftime.

Yeah worst 30 seconds of the season.

Such a depressing skill error from Lester.

Last edited:

5 goals there and the margin was 7.

Agree. They looked deflated after those 2 goals. They fought back, but just not our day.

Couple bad patches and some tired boys. Always going to have been a tough matchup, Goomba doesn’t really suit our style of game and Geelong are tough opposition. Good to see us keep up for most of the first half and to generally prevent a big blowout otherwise.

Yeah worst 30 seconds of the season.

Such a depressing effort from Lester.

It's a skill error. One that a hundred game player shouldn't make, but its not about effort.

I'm no fan of Lester but let's not make it about effort - he just isn't good enough to stay in the senior team long term.

For next week I'd drop and Barrett and Bundy and bring in 2 of Bastinac, Keays and Bailey.

Bastinac and Keays' have been our best in the reserves for a while now and can play the same role. Bailey was rested today so hopefully he can come back in fresh

Mitch Wallis would have been valuable today. We were clearly deficient in the hard ball get department.

We already have the cattle to put the hurt on teams when a game opens up. But we need some more coal face support when we are forced to grind.

A few more games like that and I’d be pushing Bailey Smith ahead of Walsh on our draft board.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game came down to 30 seconds before half time and 5 minutes at the start of the 3rd. Being up since the bye was always going to lead to a down day, at least we kept it to a down half.

Outs- Jake Barrett, Ryan Lester, Allen Christensen + one of McInerney/Walker.
Ins- Cedric Cox, Sam Mayes, Brandon Starcevich, Jacob Allison.

IMO we looked like we had one tall too many today.

A solid effort. Hawkins was the difference. Though we might have tried Walker on him to free up Harris.
5 rushed behinds so actually 11.7 off the boot.
Probably the first time all year Berry, Barrett, Hugh and Rayner all had quiet games in the same game.
Plaudits to Zorks, Beams, Lewy and Mitch. Stef had a shocker 1st half but a way better 2nd half.
Just shows the need for a big key forward who can clunk them and kick straight.
Maybe drop the Big O and give Ballenden a go at FF/ruck if he goes ok in the NEAFL Q clash today?
North next week - no real changes for mine.

Last edited:
It's a skill error. One that a hundred game player shouldn't make, but its not about effort.

I'm no fan of Lester but let's not make it about effort - he just isn't good enough to stay in the senior team long term.

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to imply he was lacking effort and probably shouldn't have used that word.

Good pickup mate.

Credit to Geelong for putting work into McCluggage. In the end, we were too top heavy as we suspected and our young mids couldn't win the centre battle despite Zorko and Beams playing well.

Bewick and Bastinac are playing quite well in the NEAFL - reckon giving one of them a go or Allison and drop one of Oscar or Walker for balance' sake.

Dumb footy and an extended ‘nap’ taken by our midfield cost us today. Team should learn from today. I would shift Zorko out of the middle and play him in a half forward flank. Matho looked good in the middle, as did Raynor. Berry also needs more time playing exclusively as a midfielder. Mitch Robbo is also good there because of the intensity of his play and Beams is a gun. I am not ‘death riding Zorko’ but at 29 his best footy is behind him.

That game came down to 30 seconds before half time and 5 minutes at the start of the 3rd. Being up since the bye was always going to lead to a down day, at least we kept it to a down half.

Outs- Jake Barrett, Ryan Lester, Allen Christensen + one of McInerney/Walker.
Ins- Cedric Cox, Sam Mayes, Brandon Starcevich, Jacob Allison.

IMO we looked like we had one tall too many today.
Especially when 1 of them only had 4 disposals.
Oscar out, walks to move forward and someone in for Lester. Would even give Cox another run.

For next week I'd drop and Barrett and Bundy and bring in 2 of Bastinac, Keays and Bailey.

Bastinac and Keays' have been our best in the reserves for a while now and can play the same role. Bailey was rested today so hopefully he can come back in fresh

Mayes another option

Back