Review Round 19 - Brisbane Lions v Geelong Cats

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea, maybe behind the goals vision didnt have a clear enough view.. it was right out on the boundary line. It must have just been missed, ive never seen that before. We will take it snd move on.

Zero chance that I mistook what I saw either, as per the photo earlier on this thread - he connected with a solid hook.

Anyway, you ripper, I really want to beat the Kangas and we will need him.
Yep very happy for dizzy!

The ump one is really baffling too? Strange there was no ump incident/injury report - Hendo even came back to him later, after the incident so the ump would have known who floored him?

Maybe the ump thought he was at fault?

Looks like we got a fourth division win in Michael Christian’s weekly Lottery!

I also reckon that he saw Robbo tackle someone hard and thought it’s Robbo do he must have done something wrong.

For balance' sake a tall for a small needs to happen.

We absolutely brought Andrews back too early. He may be individually our best defender, but our team defence was solid without him. Ideally, we keep Cox in and bring in another line-breaking type. Geelong are pretty slow, so why negate our only edge by going overly tall just for the sake of it?

We absolutely brought Andrews back too early. He may be individually our best defender, but our team defence was solid without him. Ideally, we keep Cox in and bring in another line-breaking type. Geelong are pretty slow, so why negate our only edge by going overly tall just for the sake of it?

Cox hadn’t really been breaking the lines all that well when he’s played.

Seems ridiculous if that is the way it is now to me. So the player bumping has to make sure the bloke he is bumping knows it's coming, surely not.:rolleyes:

"Excuse me Mr Dangerfield but I thought I'd let you know I'm going to apply a bump.....are you ready now??"

:rolleyes::think:

There must have been no camera on that area of the ground because Darcy Square punched menagola in the jaw, thats a huge win!! Yew

About time we had a bit of luck at the MRP/Tribunal

I really can't remember the last time a Lions player got off anything or successfully appealed a charge.

Actually, I probably can.

There was an "incident" in the early to mid noughties when Johho Brown decked someone after the half time siren. I think it was something to do with the way the charge against him was worded. They basically stuffed it up by alleging that he struck someone "in play"and he got off on the technicality that it couldn't be "in play" since play had stopped when the siren rang......or something like that.

Anyway, good luck to Darcy.

Would have been a big blow to our chances against North given the form he's been in.

There was an "incident" in the early to mid noughties when Johho Brown decked someone after the half time siren. I think it was something to do with the way the charge against him was worded. They basically stuffed it up by alleging that he struck someone "in play"and he got off on the technicality that it couldn't be "in play" since play had stopped when the siren rang......or something like that.
2004. I remember it was doubly important because he would've been suspended for the GF if he hadn't have gotten it thrown out.

https://www.qt.com.au/news/apn-brown-saved-by/84283/

2004. I remember it was doubly important because he would've been suspended for the GF if he hadn't have gotten it thrown out.

Ta.

I was close............. but quarter time it was after all.

Browny wasn't so lucky in the GF .

From memory, he got done for 8 weeks for belting someone.....Josh Carr????

Hardly seemed fair after Chad bloody Cornes kept hitting Browny's bad knee off the ball all match.

Even the cleanskin Simon Black got a few as a result of thet GF.

We were set up to fail in 2004 and then the bastards crucified us with suspensions after the event.

Oh well, at least Jared Brennan smacked that grub Carr in a H&A match next season

Even the Port supporters thought it was a job well done:D

Amazingly Brennan "only" got 2 weeks which was considered extremely lenient for a head butt, even way back then. The story doing the rounds at the time was that although there was the usual wailing and gnashing of teeth in the media at such a "disgusting" act getting off so lightly, privately the journos and 95% of the rest of the payers on AFL lists at the time wanted to shout Brennan a lifetime's supply of beer for doing what all of them wanted to do.

Last edited:

Sad to say but IMO we would have been better off if Browny (and Lynch) didn't play in the 2004 GF, both went in injured and offered very little in the game, I do not recall who else would have been available to play on that day.

I saw Browny at the airport the following day and he was on crutches and could still barely walk.

I'm really not sure what he was fined for. I assume the bump in the centre square? The ball was a meter or so away and in play, what is wrong with that? No high contact, dangerfield just wasnt expecting it

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Crashed into his back.

Charge or Charging (a) A Charge means an act of a Player colliding with an opposition Player where the amount of physical force used is unreasonable or unnecessary in the circumstances, irrespective of whether the Player is or is not in possession of the football or whether the Player is within 5 metres of the football.
(b) Without limiting the general application of Law 15.4.4 (a), a Charge occurs when a Player unreasonably or unnecessarily collides with an opposition Player: (i) who is not within 5 metres of the football; (ii) who, although within 5 metres of the football, is not in the immediate contest for the football and would not reasonably expect such contact;
A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player: ... (b) pushes an opposition Player in the back, unless such contact is incidental to a Marking contest and the Player is legitimately Marking, attempting to Mark or spoil the football; ... (f) Charges an opposition Player;

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Excuse me Mr Dangerfield but I thought I'd let you know I'm going to apply a bump.....are you ready now??"

:rolleyes::think:
For a player who is so strong when busting tackles Dangerfield has a habit of collapsing like a pack of cards when it suits him. Bit of a soft call I reckon.

Sad to say but IMO we would have been better off if Browny (and Lynch) didn't play in the 2004 GF, both went in injured and offered very little in the game, I do not recall who else would have been available to play on that day.

I saw Browny at the airport the following day and he was on crutches and could still barely walk.

Perhaps like 2003 they were pumped to the gills with something.

How good was the atmosphere before the bounce with the trumpets and drums playing, and that bright sun?. Even though the stadium is much larger now, still have that old school, Saturday arvo, suburban footy vibe to it. It was magic. You compare that to the vibe of eitihad and you can see why people hate the dome and are pushing for more boutique venues again.

I don't know how to share videos from the website, but if anyone wants to take another look, Robbo smashed him in the back. Hardly soft, and definately not legal. http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-07-30/mrp-round-19

The fine seems about right. You don't want people just taking other players out like that all the time, free kick will often be missed too as it is in play but off the ball. if there is no penalty there, then it just invites the good old fashioned fix up off the ball at a center bounce.

$3500 seems steep, got to deter it though, there is wip lash, back injury, kidney stuff all possible happening there and lets face it, it's going to be the best players targeted with this sort of hit. I'd prefer it not happening to Zorks and beams if possible,

No Higgins this week boys! Let’s drop a tall and add some speed, shame Cutler can’t be playing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The fine seems about right. You don't want people just taking other players out like that all the time, free kick will often be missed too as it is in play but off the ball. if there is no penalty there, then it just invites the good old fashioned fix up off the ball at a center bounce.

$3500 seems steep, got to deter it though, there is wip lash, back injury, kidney stuff all possible happening there and lets face it, it's going to be the best players targeted with this sort of hit. I'd prefer it not happening to Zorks and beams if possible,

Yeah potentially very dangerous

How good was the atmosphere before the bounce with the trumpets and drums playing, and that bright sun?. Even though the stadium is much larger now, still have that old school, Saturday arvo, suburban footy vibe to it. It was magic. You compare that to the vibe of eitihad and you can see why people hate the dome and are pushing for more boutique venues again.
It was a perfect afternoon for footy, had a September sort of vibe about it with a sniff of Spring, the live band behind us knocking out a few tunes, but yeah, I really enjoy making the journey down there and it is the only time of the year I sit at ground level that is not directly on the wing (which is ok sparingly). We were also fortunate to have seats right against the players race, which I think is a first for me as an adult being so close to the players coming out / in at all the usual breaks.

But as you said, other than Launceston, which also has similar feel, it takes you back to going the footy as a kid to such places as Princess Park, Vic Park, Junction Oval, Moorabbin, Windy Hill etc.

It is a shame Princess Park hasn't been converted into a boutique (max 30K) stadium with some mod cons. I saw the Lions play a praccy match there about 5-7 years ago and sat in that new John Elliott stand and given it isn't an old stand, it was bloody average, but yeah, IMO Docklands is an awful venue.

McStay third in the votes in a losing game? He's on his way to doing a Dizzy and losing his whipping boy status.

Back