Review Round 19 - Brisbane Lions v Geelong Cats

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly the posts about players drinking is a bit presumptuous, just because they're out doesn't mean they're getting smashed. Berry is a leader already at the club. Highly doubt he's doing anything against the wishes.

As for being out late post game, you're talking about a kid from Vic country who quite possibly had some mates there he was catching up with for one of the few times this year. If we're not going to allow them to do these sort of things then we can't bemoan them going home. It's a two way street.

Andrew Crowell made a comment about helping these kids to grow up into self sufficient Independent young men. Allowing them to do these sorts of things and trusting them to make good choices is how it's done.

Firstly the posts about players drinking is a bit presumptuous, just because they're out doesn't mean they're getting smashed. Berry is a leader already at the club. Highly doubt he's doing anything against the wishes.

As for being out late post game, you're talking about a kid from Vic country who quite possibly had some mates there he was catching up with for one of the few times this year. If we're not going to allow them to do these sort of things then we can't bemoan them going home. It's a two way street.

Andrew Crowell made a comment about helping these kids to grow up into self sufficient Independent young men. Allowing them to do these sorts of things and trusting them to make good choices is how it's done.
Well said!

All I want to know is did he score? Did he pull one of those chicky babes? If he did, all else is forgiven.

Agree. Having a couple of beers with mates when he’s back home doesn’t mean he’s drunk. Berry is also a young man living away from friends /family etc who will be dealing with the anniversary of his mums passing in the next day. Give him a break. Hope he danced up a storm.

Just saw footage of Jarrod Berry out dancing in a club last night at 3am (unless insta story wasnt live), looked like he was having a ball.

Still cant believe that we allow or players are allowed to have huge nights out like that during the season.

Same as reports our players were out in Melbourne at 3am after the dogs loss at Eitihad.

Will never get it, will never approve of it in season. Even if he wasnt drinking (which IMO he would have been - given theres a vodka on the table), youd think sleep after a game like yesterday would be high on the list of things to do.

Let's just hope Hodge wasn't the designated driver... :p

Would like to see Mayes get a run of games too. Rest some of our tired young guns and give a few other guys a run.

Not exactly setting the house on fire at the moment in the twos. Would hope (and it won't happen) that Fages slots Mayes into Cutler's role for next week and we can see him play up the ground again. Might be enough to spark something in Mayes.

Fatcat08 I think you need a ban ..... this post is WAY too logical for BF ;)

Just saw footage of Jarrod Berry out dancing in a club last night at 3am (unless insta story wasnt live), looked like he was having a ball.Still cant believe that we allow or players are allowed to have huge nights out like that during the season.
Same as reports our players were out in Melbourne at 3am after the dogs loss at Eitihad.

Will never get it, will never approve of it in season. Even if he wasnt drinking (which IMO he would have been - given theres a vodka on the table), youd think sleep after a game like yesterday would be high on the list of things to do.
The week before we smashed Hawthorn? Yeah, stamp that s**t out. :cool: ;)

Yep Size Matters said it right, Geelong still too big too fast and too good for us.
Put Charlie on Dangerfild and maybe he stifles his impact at the center bounce and who knows.
Otherwise I think we would have them for speed.
The other thing is at some point , our players have to take ownership on kicking goals.
A few times again we were almost in front of goal and handballed.
Clugga I can forgive , since his youth, but our forwards have to take their shots, especially McStay and the big O.
A few missed goals we should of had, would of put pressure on them.

I agree with Lester's missed kick, not the reason why we lost and we should be able to bounce back .

We have to be good enough to have a few bad turnovers and still be in the game. Not there yet.
They made the best of their chances when going forward, good service inside 50 and the TommaHawk.
They were very impressive, and it showed teams can still put multiple goals on us in a short period.
Looking forward to next year against all these sides,
Boys need to step back up again, next week against Norf .
Season not over yet and more opportunity for improvement or at least get back to our best which is just consistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the absence of Cutler threw us out of whack. Taylor ended up on the opposing wing to McCluggage, who was tightly checked. Lewy and Hugh are our most creative offensive players and would be involved in a high percentage of our scoring chains this year. While Taylor was one of our better players on the day most of his possessions seemed to come in the back half. With McCluggage quiet we weren't able to generate decent transition... getting belted at centre clearance wouldn't have helped either.

two things.

1. Narrow ground has been mentioned a bit. I listeneed to Harry Taylor in a pre-game interview on SEN I think and he mentioned it as something that would hopefully slow our ball movement from previous weeks. Obviously something Geelong had talked about and compressing our game style.

2. "that kick" - there were plenty of errors before it and it only tipped me over the edge in terms of silly errors late in the second quarter. Firstly there was Berry (usually very reliable) stabbing at his shot from 20m out only for the kick in to go down the other end for a Geelong goal. Then probably about a minute before the Lester kick McStay marked about 65m out on the boundary and passed a ball to about 25m out directly in front. unfortunately he picked out a Geelong player instead of one of the 3 free Brisbane players about 5m in any direction, from their Geelong took it forward leading to Lester's terrible kick. Badly executed and badly timed in the context of the game. Long down the line at that point. Then to top it off us not having someone guarding the forward 50 with 20 seconds left allowing Hawkins to mark on the lead was dissapointing. In summary, 'that kick' was one of many 'that kicks' in the game and shouldn't be focused on all that much.

Perfect summary , plus they were playing for finals.

Tell you what, If I were Hugh I'd be flattered they used Scott Selwood to close check him to minimise his Impact. Not bad for a second year player.

Tell you what, If I were Hugh I'd be flattered they used Scott Selwood to close check him to minimise his Impact. Not bad for a second year player.

Reminiscent of Rich being tagged very early in his career.

Well we can get used to McCluggage, Berry, Rayner being tagged, as well as Zorko and Beams closely monitored.

Take solace in the thought that they can't tag everyone.

Having looked at the tape, yes Lester's was an appalling skill error. But on its own it obviously didn't cost us the game. Poor goal kicking may well have.

And while on the topic, by now the coaching panel will be well aware that Lester is a limited player. Obviously at this stage of our development he fits a need, but longer term he'll be overtaken by others with more upside. Like pace, being able to kick over a jam tin, etc. Lester doesn't pick himself- me, I'd never give him a gig but there it is.

I was right behind, switch was on big time. Kick just fell 20 meters short lol

At that stage of the game, the switch was not on. Long down the line was the only option. It was both a decision-making and execution error. But as others have noted, one of many made by many.

I can understand where you are coming from but I have a different view. He is 20 - needs to live a bit. Big night sat, recover Sunday, back into it Monday. This is coming from a teetotaller. If we were in finals contention it would be different.

Not saying I'm opposed to giving the players a bit of freedom. But to suggest we should change our standards and enforce different behaviours when and if we become a contender is an approach fraught with danger. If there's a standard we'll be expecting then, we should be practicing it now.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that they would not have been "on the piss" so to speak.

Again, not passing judgment. But from what I've heard from mates who've bumped into a couple of our young boys out on the town, your confidence is misplaced.

Back