Prediction Round 19: Changes Vs Sydney + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is one of those dockery games coming up that Freo will miraculously win I reckon. Everyone has jumped off because of last week.

Everything leading into last week suggested a loss except for the hope. The opposite is true this week, just there is now an absence of hope.

Long break, Sydney away from home for ages, a ground we do OK at, dry conditions, Taberner back in (maybe), a team we know we can beat since we have already this season.

Sydney aren't a hardened side like Geelong, and no expectations may just turn things in our favour.

Freo by a goal.

Agree with a lot of that. I think we'll turn up and put up a much better showing this week, but Sydney will have the talent and system to overwhelm us in the end by a few goals.

Liking the optimism but can’t see this as anything but another shellacking unfortunately.
Sydney just torched GWS last week & have a well organized defense while we are likely to have a forward line led by an 18yo medium tall & a few battlers around him.

Buddy to kick 8 which will be more than us.

If Banfield plays I may spend the morning sticking pins in my eyes.

Sorry for the negativity but I seem to have defaulted to Freo supporter defense mechanism mode 1 after last week. Expect the worst & it won’t hurt so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watch a lot of Peel games and respectfully I disagree 100% with this FreoMatt. Blakely gets a lot of the ball, but his disposal by hand and foot is not up to AFL standard, that's why he's not getting a game. Valente is exquisite by hand and foot, and I would take 20 of Valente's possessions over 35 from Blakely.

We have more than enough poor ball users in our side, we need guys like Valente not mall ball burners. I would rate his composure and skills with the ball at Cerra levels - without the panic in front of goal!

My criticism on him is not his ball use (which I agree is good), it’s just that he doesn’t get enough of the ball and he tends to play as an outside mid which doesn’t suit him as he is not quick. He should be barging in like Blakely does and getting 30 every game not 15-20

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Game will still go ahead. Sydney and GWS want the season paused is funny. Too many other options AFL have planned in preparation for this.
Surely after a 10 day break Tabs will be fit. Just over 4 weeks out by that time.
Lobb should be 50/50 given the long break.

Apparently Tabs was close to playing last week so will definitely play (unless he has a recurrence). I think;

IN: Young, Tabener,
Out: Lobb, ?

Didnt play for a number of weeks as the Swans were trying to focus on his strength and conditioning which apparently needed work. Came back and played in the reserves 2 rounds ago and kicked 4.3 against the Bulldogs reserved team. No idea how he did this week as the reserves game got canceled and the club played a practice against the Suns reserves.

I suspect he will be knocking on the door of selection very soon.

The bulldogs reserves would push a few AFL sides…

Genuine question, are we tanking?

If Taberner plays for Peel this week I will be genuinely confused...

it’s just posturing and not showing his hand
Tabs will play.

if he doesn’t, we deserve a belting.

Be a stupid decision. Many players, Tucker Hughes on the weekend comes straight in with a half or limited pre season and play 60-70% game time.
Just play Tabs.

He has played only a quarter of football in the last 2 months, and a few on here have noted that Tabs coming back from an injury struggles to get up to speed. On top of that Darcy has a question mark over his fitness so we might be forced to play Meek to share Darcy's minute and as injury cover. If Meek and Darcy play they might feel like we can't play an underdone Tabs as well.

Saying all that I expect Tabs to play league if he plays this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has played only a quarter of football in the last 2 months, and a few on here have noted that Tabs coming back from an injury struggles to get up to speed. On top of that Darcy has a question mark over his fitness so we might be forced to play Meek to share Darcy's minute and as injury cover. If Meek and Darcy play they might feel like we can't play an underdone Tabs as well.

Saying all that I expect Tabs to play league if he plays this week.
I'd consider playing an undersized "ruck" of say Acres or Banfield (whomever is keenest) as a chop-out for Darcy/Meek. It seems to work out ok for the player doing it in other teams who've employed a similar tactic and makes us less predictable, plus an option to bring in a quicker player to increase our overall speed. Sydney like to transition quick, which can short-circuit our structures.

He’ll only play at Peel if recommended managed mins. No good him playing AFL for 60mins. Not saying I agree with this but that is the way I read it.

The Eagles did it with their captain so not the end of the world.

The more i think about it the more this reeks of a smacking from Sydney, will mirror Pav's 350th imo

Sydney have made significant progression over the last 2 months compared to us

The more i think about it the more this reeks of a smacking from Sydney, will mirror Pav's 350th imo

Sydney have made significant progression over the last 2 months compared to us
Be a bloodbath. Their ball movement is slick and fast. Pearce on Buddy helps. But gee forward line is bare. Worst time for both Lobb and Tabs to be underdone .

In seriousness does anyone remember Tab's ability to come back from injury? He's usually a liability in his first game back. He's one of those players who genuinely needs a run to, if nothing else, remind him how to play.

Having said that, even in his first game back spudness he does straighten us up a little. Can Darcy/Meek and Treacy hold the fort for a week? I doubt it, unless we plan on really running and pressing high with the smalls and playing a small, agile forward line instead of the traditional one

Na, we'll sh*t it in...
Sydeny got some lucky and umpire gifted goals towards the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd to erase a considerable lead. Hickey also had free run at the ruck for a while. I wouldn't be overselling the Swans performance on the weekend. Sure they had adversity, but the Giants had more.

Probs would have lost this game at either SCG or GMHBA but I recon we can win at Metricon.
I've decided to wipe last week from my memory,

Pearce must have been out last time we played Swans..I remeber Logue getting Franklin and actually doing a pretty good job considering the armchair ride the starry eyed umps were giving him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back