Preview Round 19: Changes Vs Western Bulldogs + Pre-match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Morris and West both confirmed INs for the Dogs, with rumours we may be losing Dunkley this week, and Schache looking unlikely thanks to concussion

Dunkley would be a massive loss, he has been a workhorse for you guys.
Enormous. Bont was carrying an ankle injury last week and played one of his worst games in years, so hopefully him not taking the week off doesn't come back to punish us. Macrae also played one of the worst 34 disposal games in AFL history, causing turnovers left right and centre. If Dunkley is out too, we could be in a bit of trouble, especially since both Wallis and McLean are out injured. Thank god for our midfield depth, but it's getting stretched a bit tight at this point with our best 3 mids all with question marks over them

Looks like the club are treating this one like an elimination final and throw the kitchen sink by ensuring Lobb and Fyfe are playable.

It's admirable and if we lose I'd say those two (and maybe some others) will be put on ice for the rest of the year.

I can only hope to God that we're not risking them both for something much worse if this goes awry.

Because with our medicos, things go awry.

Morris and West both confirmed INs for the Dogs, with rumours we may be losing Dunkley this week, and Schache looking unlikely thanks to concussion

Very happy for Morris whose career looked done earlier in the year but really wish you'd brought him back a week later, very much the heart and soul of the Dogs and his presence will no doubt give your boys a big boost.

Our core midfield is in place or will be with Fyfe back. Don't think there is anything wrong with a midfield of Fyfe, Mundy, Brayshaw, Conca Walters and Blakely. Our backline is only missing Pearce and Logue is doing pretty well as a replacement. We have had to change our forward line structure to make up for our loss of tall forwards and it gives us some chance to score. As much as we consider scoring anyway. WE didn't score that much, at times, with our best forwardline in anyway. They are around us on the ladder so if we turn up to play we should be a chance. The turning up to play bit is the big question. If Lobb doesn't play I don't like our chances though.
Logue is our third tall defender, and while he is replacing Pearce our defence overall is behind where it should be. It alters the role of other players as well and is structurally nowhere near as strong as when Pearce is available. Looking forward to what the future has for that group of players.

Logue is our third tall defender, and while he is replacing Pearce our defence overall is behind where it should be. It alters the role of other players as well and is structurally nowhere near as strong as when Pearce is available. Looking forward to what the future has for that group of players.
He has been adequate cover. I was only suggesting that our midfield and backline is relatively structurally intact so I don't see injuries as being an excuse for those parts of the ground.

McCarthy was one of our few good players the first two weeks he came back. Does not deserve to go out after 1 poor game where he was ignored 7 times out of 10 on the lead.

Yes its an interesting point...watching him through the game he does the work and present but too often our delivery to him from further up has been poor for various reasons. 2019 =10 games 16 goals at av of 1.6 this year 11.6 poss and 3.7 marks. Jack Darling 2019 17 games 43goals at av of 2.5 11.7 poss/game and 4.5 marks.

Good to do a comparison even though they are quite different players. Eagles delivery to Darling and Kennedy is primarily a dual purpose of strong overhead mark or controlled spill to the crumbers. Cam seems to be more a ruck rover type forward and not a strong mark in one on one it seems.

Last edited:
Looks like the one change this week? The coach clearly hoping for Lobb to get up and keep the 3 talls. With Bulldogs' lack of height and ruckman, who knows? Dunkley and Schache are huge losses for them.
Fyfe in for Hughes? Seems the likely change, that or Duman. Really can't see anyone else coming out.

McCarthy struggles when he has to play as the main target, if there is another marking option forward he will play better.
Bingo.

Round 1 was perfect. Kicked 5 goals vs North. Partially due to Norths injuries in their side. Also, Tabs and Lobb played, Hogan had his suspension. He also did ok kicking 2 goals each in the close losses vs West coast and gold coast in the 1st month of the season too.

16 goals and 5 behinds from 10 games isnt too bad. If you traded his 5 goals he scored for North for his other games, he would of had a few 2 goal and 3 goal games.

I would drop tucker to Peel for 1-2 weeks.

Fyfe has to come in. Maybe for tucker or Lobb if he is injured.

But if tucker is dropped and Lobb is out, fyfe comes in and bring in a debut kid in carter or north or even sturt or valente

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cams problem is:
He is poor at contested football
Our game plan is heavily based around contested football
Our skills by foot going forward are poor
He neither has elite speed or endurance to create seperation on his opponent consistently.

He'd get more goals playing in a different system but I'd be getting him to slim right down and work on his speed, agility and tank.

I think his decision making has really improved this year - thought he used to just chuck it on the boot a little to much in his first couple of years

McCarthy routinely runs more than any other Freo forward.
But he is poorly used in our forward system (he is a tall flanker rather than KPF), and he needs coaching help in his leading patterns and he timing of his leads (he often leads too early).
Unfortunately he seems to be precisely at the wrong club in terms of developing his forward craft.
If he played at WCE or Hawthorn he would probably be developing his forward play a hell of a lot more than here.

McCarthy routinely runs more than any other Freo forward.
But he is poorly used in our forward system (he is a tall flanker rather than KPF), and he needs coaching help in his leading patterns and he timing of his leads (he often leads too early).
Unfortunately he seems to be precisely at the wrong club in terms of developing his forward craft.
If he played at WCE or Hawthorn he would probably be developing his forward play a hell of a lot more than here.
He demands the leads. Which is what we like. But gee, the players up the field take too long to decide and McCarthy is already 15 m out from them rather 30-40m. Always a Freo thing

Cams problem is:
He is poor at contested football
Our game plan is heavily based around contested football
Our skills by foot going forward are poor
He neither has elite speed or endurance to create seperation on his opponent consistently.

He'd get more goals playing in a different system but I'd be getting him to slim right down and work on his speed, agility and tank.

I think his decision making has really improved this year - thought he used to just chuck it on the boot a little to much in his first couple of years

He’s one of those guys that secretly would be wishing for a coaching change I think.

What is the point of Ballas coming in for this game unless he wants to do one more trip to Melbourne as an emergency to do some shopping.

Should just give Dardy a run til the end of the season in the team. Let him work through the highs and the lows

Why do we always sign players then drop them.

Yeah this yo-yo'ing with him will never work. Especially when he's back to getting the best defender on him.

But, 5 disposals and no shots on goal is 5 disposals and no shots on goal.

It seems to me we're going with the 3 rucks again...2 of Lobb, Sandilands and Darcy stationed in the forward line, and that requires the others to be smalls who are quick and can apply pressure, which McCarthy is not.

Its a gamble. Bulldogs other defenders like Morris, Crozier, Wood, could easily outmark our smalls if we don't find the tall timber with our kicks, or alternatively if we do, our little blokes might be too quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back