NRL Round 19 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
With Origin over for another year its time for the clubs to get back to an even balance and prepare for their charge towards the finals. Round 19 sees 6 matches to be played with 4 clubs (Storm, Roosters, Eels and Bulldogs) having the bye. This will be a good chance for a reshaping of the Top 8 before the final 6 week sprint to the Finals.

The Friday Night double header begins in Auckland with the Warriors taking on the Panthers, both sides hoping that a win can push them towards a challenge for the 8 with the Eels having the bye. After that match we have the Raiders hosting the free falling Dragons in what would be the Raiders last chance to make something out of the season. So a big night Friday Night.

Saturday we have the Knights taking on the Broncos before the Titans host the Sharks who'll be hoping to close the gap at the top of the resting Storm.

Sunday sees the Sea Eagles take on the Tigers in the early kickoff before the Rabbitohs take on the Cowboys in Cairns to finish off the round.

Enjoy the Round

Forward pack is a shambles. Apart from Sam Burgess and Crichton time to start fresh, and there is no way on earth John Sutton is a 5/8, he can't pass.
I want to know how much we're paying the Burgess twins. On their current form they'd be lucky to be getting even 250k, they're playing like reserve graders. Has mostly been the case for Tom but George showed in 2014 that perhaps he could at least fluke some rare form.

I want to know how much we're paying the Burgess twins. On their current form they'd be lucky to be getting even 250k, they're playing like reserve graders. Has mostly been the case for Tom but George showed in 2014 that perhaps he could at least fluke some rare form.

You can't carry all 3 (ideally 1, but 2 at the most). Sam at the least bends the line and defends well. The other two are overpaid for what they produce. Th forward pack has nothing aside from Sam and Crichton and it gets mauled every week. I feel for Reynolds a bit and it is why I'll cut him some slack...every half would struggle with their pack being belted every single week.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I've been critical of Reynolds, but he did at least show some nice footwork to set up that try. I don't disagree with your comments about the Burgesses; most fans in England think the twins are overrated, and shouldn't be near England's starting 13. Frankly we have better props than them in Superleague.

I've been critical of Reynolds, but he did at least show some nice footwork to set up that try. I don't disagree with your comments about the Burgesses; most fans in England think the twins are overrated, and shouldn't be near England's starting 13. Frankly we have better props than them in Superleague.

It would be sort of "okay" if George and tom were on cheap contracts but they aren't...and they are always good for 2-3 drop balls a game. I mean yesterdays game Souths fought hard to get to 6 all...then what happens Tom Burgess drops the ball from the kickoff...and the worst thing is it isn't a one off thing. Put Reynolds behind a good pack and he flourishes, but no half would do well playing for Souths this season.

You can't carry all 3 (ideally 1, but 2 at the most). Sam at the least bends the line and defends well. The other two are overpaid for what they produce. Th forward pack has nothing aside from Sam and Crichton and it gets mauled every week. I feel for Reynolds a bit and it is why I'll cut him some slack...every half would struggle with their pack being belted every single week.
Yeah agree with you on that.

The problem is we don't really have any forwards in the reserve grade busting to crack it in first grade. We've signed has beens or failed prospects like Rochow and Cherrington. There's also Dean Britt, who we just signed a few weeks ago, although I'll hold my tongue until we've seen him play. George and Tom face no pressure to perform from any depth at all, they'd be in reserve grade in most other teams on current form

Yeah agree with you on that.

The problem is we don't really have any forwards in the reserve grade busting to crack it in first grade. We've signed has beens or failed prospects like Rochow and Cherrington. There's also Dean Britt, who we just signed a few weeks ago, although I'll hold my tongue until we've seen him play. George and Tom face no pressure to perform from any depth at all, they'd be in reserve grade in most other teams on current form

My counter argument is what have you got to lose? Try Rochow (who isn't bad), and Cherrington at least. Put the Burgess twins in reserve grade for a month. I haven't seen Britt at all, so can't comment there. The definition of insanity is trying the same failed thing over and over again and expecting different results, lets just call it the Mitchell Pearce at Origin experiment.

Souths need some forwards and badly and you need a hooker. Cook is so ordinary it isn't funny and the worst thing is Farah has been worse this season. I'd be talking to the reserve Storm, Broncos, Roosters hookers and see if there is any interest. Those 3 clubs have set hookers, albeit Smith is closer to the end than the other two.

My counter argument is what have you got to lose? Try Rochow (who isn't bad), and Cherrington at least. Put the Burgess twins in reserve grade for a month. I haven't seen Britt at all, so can't comment there. The definition of insanity is trying the same failed thing over and over again and expecting different results, lets just call it the Mitchell Pearce at Origin experiment.

Souths need some forwards and badly and you need a hooker. Cook is so ordinary it isn't funny and the worst thing is Farah has been worse this season. I'd be talking to the reserve Storm, Broncos, Roosters hookers and see if there is any interest. Those 3 clubs have set hookers, albeit Smith is closer to the end than the other two.
We let Rochow go to Melbourne, and we did play him a few times but he wasn't doing much. Cherrington we've tried once or twice, his fitness just wasn't there yet at the time.

NFI what the deal with our hooker situation is. I don't think Cook is all that bad, this season he has played second fiddle and comes on mid-way through the second half and ruins the flow of the game, don't necessarily think it's entirely his fault though. Him and Farah play differently and that just seems to mess up the rhythm the forwards have tried to build in the last 60 minutes of the game with Farah. It's a shame we've let go of McInnes, he seems to be doing well at St George this year.

We let Rochow go to Melbourne, and we did play him a few times but he wasn't doing much. Cherrington we've tried once or twice, his fitness just wasn't there yet at the time.

NFI what the deal with our hooker situation is. I don't think Cook is all that bad, this season he has played second fiddle and comes on mid-way through the second half and ruins the flow of the game, don't necessarily think it's entirely his fault though. Him and Farah play differently and that just seems to mess up the rhythm the forwards have tried to build in the last 60 minutes of the game with Farah. It's a shame we've let go of McInnes, he seems to be doing well at St George this year.

You need to try something in terms of props, the current ones have not done the job and it is hurting your halves big time.

Just don't feel Cook is a natural hooker at all. he is almost an in betweener, not classy enough to be a half and not physically strong enough with a good passing game to be a hooker. He is a natural utility bench player but he's not a starter. Farah is cooked though so who knows there. McInness isn't elite but he was better than these two, amazed you let him go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back