Preview Round 19: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Sunday 25/07/2021 @ 6:10 PM

Whomst dost thouest thinketh will have a higher score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Observations

Essendon: Essendon had a slow start, only kicking 4 goals in the first half. After the main break though, Essendon kicked 9 goals to 5 to round out 18 point winners. Zach Merrett and Darcy parish were exceptional in the middle with 73 disposals and 17 clearances between them, whilst Peter Wright and Jake Stringer had 7 goals between the pair.

Greater Western Sydney: A 6 goal first quarter had the Giants excited, but injuries to Josh Kelly and Matt Flynn halted their progress as Sydney kicked 14 goals to 5 after quarter time, beating the Giants by 26 points. Tim Taranto had 27 disposals in the middle whilst Harry Himmelberg had 3 goals up front for the Giants.

Head to Head (last 5)

Essendon 2-3 Greater Western Sydney

Form Guide

Essendon: 3W 2L
Greater Western Sydney: 2W 3L

Sportsbet odds

Essendon: $
Greater Western Sydney:
Line: .5 ($1.90)

Possible sides

Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney

FB: Mason Redman - James Stewart - Dyson Heppell
FF: Daniel Lloyd - Jesse Hogan - Tanner Bruhn
HB: Nick Hind - Jayden Laverde - Jordan Ridley
HF: Brent Daniels - Harrison Himmelberg - Jeremy Finlayson
MF: Tom Cutler - Archie Perkins - Matthew Guelfi
MF: Tim Taranto - Callan Ward - Lachie Whitfield
HF: Alec Waterman - Cale Hooker - Jake Stringer
HB: Nick Haynes - Connor Idun - Isaac Cumming
FF: Brayden Ham - Peter Wright - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
FB: Sam Taylor - Phil Davis - Sam Reid
OB: Sam Draper - Zachary Merrett - Darcy Parish
OB: Shane Mumford - Stephen Coniglio - Jacob Hopper
IC: Will Snelling - Aaron Francis - Sam Durham - Nik Cox
IC: Adam Kennedy - Tom Green - Harry Perryman - Zachary Sproule
IS: Martin Gleeson
IS: Xavier O'Halloran

Essendon in: Aaron Francis; Out: Devon Smith (omitted)
Greater Western Sydney in: Shane Mumford, Lachie Whitfield; Out: Josh Kelly (ankle), Matthew Flynn (shoulder)

Greater Western Sydney defence vs Essendon forward line

Essendon have been the third most efficient forward line in the league this season, kicking a goal 24.04% of the time it enters their forward 50. Greater Western Sydney are mid table in this particular area, concedina a goal 22.17% of the time it enters their defensive 50. It may well be the battle of the broken old guys in Cale Hooker and Phil Davis, Hooker started well but has only kicked 3 goals in the past 5 games, whilst Sam Taylor likely gets the Peter Wright matchup, the former Sun kicking 5 goals in the past two weeks, whilst small Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti has hit a form slip recently, and will be looking for a big game against Sam Reid.

Midfield/rucks battle

Greater Western Sydney are 6th in Contested Possession difference, with Essendon in 14th whilst in terms of clearance difference, it's a similar story with the Giants in 4th whilst Essendon are in 12th. The Bombers have been reliant on three players on the inside but Darcy Parish in particular, averaging 31 disposals, 8 clearances a game as well as having 19 goal assists for the year, with Jake Stringer and Zach Merrett been more than adequate support for Parish. Tim Taranto has been the man on the inside for the Giants this season, averaging 28 disposals and 4 clearances a game, but has more support from the likes of Callan Ward, Jacob Hopper and captain Stephen Coniglio. Rucks wise, Sam Draper will get a chance to play against a similar style of ruck in Shane Mumford, the younger version improving week on week, although the Giants have 6 of their 8 wins with Mumford in the side.

Greater Western Sydney forward line vs Essendon defence

Greater Western Sydney are kicking a goal 23.12% of the time it enters their forward 50, 8th in the AFL for this season. Essendon have struggled defensively this season, conceding a goal 24.19% of the time it enters their defensive 50, 16th in the AFL. Jesse Hogan has only had 4 games this season but kicked 10 goals, and will likely get the match up of forward turned defender Jayden Laverde. Harrison Himmelberg has been solid this season, kicking 24 goals and having 20 assists, likely to play against former teammate James Stewart, whilst if vice captain Toby Greene is still not allowed to play then the most dangerous small will be Daniel Lloyd, who is averaging 1.1 goals/game this year, against Dyson Heppell in all likelihood.

X-Factor Player

Isaac Cumming's run off half back has been vital for the Giants this season, the 22 year old averagin 22 disposals and 430 metres gained per game, and he will be important for the Giants to get back into the finals race.

Key stat

Essendon: Goals per inside 50. After struggling the last few weeks, they need to start converting to stay in the top 8... I know, it scares me too.

GWS: Clearance Difference. Need to stay on top in the middle for them to win this game and take our spot in the 8.

Tip

I'm gonna go with us here, by 12 points.

Last edited:
Why aren’t we in Melbourne? Very happy that we aren’t in premiership contention this year because shipping us off to Queensland is beyond stupid.
Us, GWS and Sydney are all based in Queensland for now

I understand that. I want to know why?
I think they wanted to get out of Melbourne quickly, not knowing how long the lockdown would be

GoDons76!

Debutant
Nov 28, 2013
Wodonga
AFL Club
Essendon
Nth board showing their true IQ having a go at stringer, gee they are just a sad miserable bunch, I suppose when your such a irrelevant club you don’t have much else to hang your hat on. Nobody is perfect but to just keep scrapping the bottom with sh*t comments, just so they can feel a little better shows the real class of their supporters and they reckon we are bad, obviously Carey must of taken all the mirrors with him when he was at the Stevens house!

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This will be our what, 9th interstate game this year? Lockdowns have not worked in our favour from a games in Melbourne perspective.

If we had any balls we’d be sending the players home. The AFL made promises to the AFLPA that players wouldn’t be away from their family for more than 12 days.

Why should Essendon be the only Victorian to have to hub interstate?

I think they wanted to get out of Melbourne quickly, not knowing how long the lockdown would be

Seems pretty bogus to me. Sets up a for a month in the Gold Coast for what seems like no reason.

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
If we had any balls we’d be sending the players home. The AFL made promises to the AFLPA that players wouldn’t be away from their family for more than 12 days.

Why should Essendon be the only Victorian to have to hub interstate?

Seems pretty bogus to me. Sets up a for a month in the Gold Coast for what seems like no reason.

If we don't get the most favourable of draws next year I'll be pissed. But it is the AFL so not expecting much.

YoboD

Senior List
Aug 23, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I’m not sure why they can’t fly in to Vic and play us at an empty Etihad? Other interstate teams are flying in and out, why can’t the Sydney sides do the same if they want to hub in Queensland?

Feb 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Manchester City San Antonio Spurs
I would hope this game is played at Marvel if the cases stay linked, of course with no crowds.

I can’t see any changes next week. Maybe Francis for Cutler, but he was good and would be unlucky. Smith is lucky we have no one that can replace him. Hird should be eying this spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would hope this game is played at Marvel if the cases stay linked, of course with no crowds.

I can’t see any changes next week. Maybe Francis for Cutler, but he was good and would be unlucky. Smith is lucky we have no one that can replace him. Hird should be eying this spot.
Cutler played more wing this week

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels

I'd definitely have Hird in for Smith.

I’m not sure why they can’t fly in to Vic and play us at an empty Etihad? Other interstate teams are flying in and out, why can’t the Sydney sides do the same if they want to hub in Queensland?

Sydney are still playing in Geelong next week, yet we still we will be the only Vic team stuck in Queensland. It's horseshit.

Charliebrow 16

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2006
Tasmania
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Federer, Birmingham FC
Finally we play a real rival.

In all seriousness, huge game. I’ll… join in the chorus of people wondering why this isn’t being played in Melbourne. I’d feel much more confident playing them under the roof of Marvel.

Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
This can’t be true

From Jon Ralph.

FD65BDE0-2A8E-47EA-AEBC-98DFF6EC71B8.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back