Game Day Round 19 Fantasy Discussion ...For Whom the Bell Tolls

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

2082, rankings gone from 72 to 198 in two weeks... gut wrenching

Ahhhh that sucks. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago when I was in the running for a hat. Know how you feel :huh:

Balsam

All Australian
Feb 23, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
2269 with Pendles, Neale, TT and Zerret, so not a bad score in the end.

Pendles obviously going this week, the other out should be Weightman, which will leave me with Sharp and Bramble as the only rookies onfield.

All the hard fought gains over the byes have been erased with Whitfield, Kelly, Martin, Pendles, Mills etc.....

Exactly. How can we improve our teams when all we get to do each week is sideways out yet another injured premo? I know it’s part of the game every year but sheesh this year WAY more than most.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Head scratcher for me is I came in to today having basically avoided all the horror shows of the first few days of the round, and then had all my bad luck in the final game of the round. Just don't understand how I'm not gaining rank week after week when I'm picking the right players in trades. Just goes to show how important a strong start is I think as I'm probably one/two mid-pricer upgrades off the pack. Still hovering around 7k where I've been for what feels like two months.

Yeah still a chance mate, but I’ve sort of stuffed my team looking for cheap premo’s and midpricers rather than paying up for Steele, Touk and Wines etc

Thats usually a sound strategy in the race to get all rookies off field though so don’t be too hard on yourself for doing that. Not your fault that a bit of bad luck has seen it not come off in the last few weeks.

If I wasn’t looking for those bargain premos then I wouldn’t have Simpkin who has been killing it for me. I also wouldn’t have Kennedy or Menegola who are most certainly not killing it. So it really can work both ways. But one thing is certain - if I had paid up for the Touks and the Wines of the world and brought them in at their most expensive then I would be fielding 2-3 more rookies right now which would well and truly offset those uber premo scores

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Head scratcher for me is I came in to today having basically avoided all the horror shows of the first few days of the round, and then had all my bad luck in the final game of the round. Just don't understand how I'm not gaining rank week after week when I'm picking the right players in trades. Just goes to show how important a strong start is I think as I'm probably one/two mid-pricer upgrades off the pack. Still hovering around 7k where I've been for what feels like two months.

Injuries early on are more costly (IMO) as they prevent you generating cash to upgrade early. Yes, you can still have Merrett have a shocker like today - but typically these are rarer than having Idun on field and scoring 20.

Getting rid of rookies early is key....

I had a really good starting side, but week after week of injuries early on - meant that I still have people like Sharp in the side come the byes. He'd only played one game or something, but couldn't get rid of him. That's 10 - 12 weeks of lost cash generation....

I'm going to do some analysis later in the year, see what it says....

Injuries early on are more costly (IMO) as they prevent you generating cash to upgrade early. Yes, you can still have Merrett have a shocker like today - but typically these are rarer than having Idun on field and scoring 20.

Getting rid of rookies early is key....

I had a really good starting side, but week after week of injuries early on - meant that I still have people like Sharp in the side come the byes. He'd only played one game or something, but couldn't get rid of him. That's 10 - 12 weeks of lost cash generation....

I'm going to do some analysis later in the year, see what it says....

I think the biggest misstep I've made was ditching Gaff for Brayshaw, but even then Brayshaw has been fantastic and Gaff average, but that was my only real 'luxury' move early on that arguably cost me an upgrade. The points Brayshaw has made since the switch has surely outweighed that though.

Basically had to overhaul my entire forward line though through the season which didn't help. Injuries can't be helped though, but have played a huge part this season.

Fitzey

Painting The Town Red
Jun 2, 2011
Tas
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Thats usually a sound strategy in the race to get all rookies off field though so don’t be too hard on yourself for doing that. Not your fault that a bit of bad luck has seen it not come off in the last few weeks.

If I wasn’t looking for those bargain premos then I wouldn’t have Simpkin who has been killing it for me. I also wouldn’t have Kennedy or Menegola who are most certainly not killing it. So it really can work both ways. But one thing is certain - if I had paid up for the Touks and the Wines of the world and brought them in at their most expensive then I would be fielding 2-3 more rookies right now which would well and truly offset those uber premo scores
Yeah exactly, they either pay off or they don’t, there’s always good midprice options out there it’s just selecting the right one.

I’m seriously going to make it a strategy going forward to have as few players as possible, particularly a captain, involved in night games on the Gold Coast. It just seems to be as slippery as hell and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a decent quality game there after dark.

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
I’m seriously going to make it a strategy going forward to have as few players as possible, particularly a captain, involved in night games on the Gold Coast. It just seems to be as slippery as hell and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a decent quality game there after dark.

It's a good plan, except for the AFL shifting (almost accidentally typed shitting then) games all over the place....

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

I got my last rookie off the ground in R16 and since then my ranking has slid from 100th to about 500th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back