Review Round 19 - Gold Coast vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Changes for me:
Out: Dawson, Heron, Joyce, Ellis, Brodie (Hammy)
In: Weller, Ainsworth, Bowes, Miles, Murdoch

Riska was important early on and would keep his experience about, otherwise we would have been further behind.

I’d love to see Benny and Bowes come straight back in but I reckon they might have to come back through the NEAFL after such a long time out, hoping they come straight back in the seniors

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Bowes is an auto-inclusion if fit.

Required player, especially with Brodie injured and I feel no need to nurse him back through the 2nds.
If he isn't fit, bring in Miles.

Missed Weller today and he's having a good season, so hopefully he can pull up alright.

I'm still holding out for my first double win of the season and I've been robbed of 2 chances as we've played twice :(

So...

Carlton to flog Adelaide for 3 in a row.
Suns to flog *.
Few things would make me happier :)

Sexton kicked 31 goals in 18 games
5 games left.
He's a chance for 40 goals this year especially if he can kick 2-3 this coming week against Essendon.

Sexton kicked 31 goals in 18 games
5 games left.
He's a chance for 40 goals this year especially if he can kick 2-3 this coming week against Essendon.
Having a fine year, will be interesting to see him vs Saad, who defensively hasn't put a foot wrong as well as rebounding from defence. Betts, Cameron and Walters kicked 1 goal between them on Saad.

Having a fine year, will be interesting to see him vs Saad, who defensively hasn't put a foot wrong as well as rebounding from defence. Betts, Cameron and Walters kicked 1 goal between them on Saad.
He's always been a gun defensively. Except maybe his first year. Just not as flashy as his rebounding stuff so noone notices.

He's always been a gun defensively. Except maybe his first year. Just not as flashy as his rebounding stuff so noone notices.
I'm not so sure about that but he's definitely been great this season. He's been in AA form IMO.

Nah he was always a great one on one defender for us. Gave Betts a couple of baths over the years, and Cyril
Certainly did on the weekend. Only 9 touches for Eddie! Hasn't kicked a goal against us in his last 3 games, but in his previously he kicked 13!

Anyway, looking forward to this one, we're in some pretty handy form right now, and hopefully it continues here. Was hoping Brodie would play because many think we're into him end of year.

I'm not so sure about that but he's definitely been great this season. He's been in AA form IMO.
Oh yeah sorry
The Suns don't develop players right?
Except we took him as a VFL player and taught him how to play at AFL standard
So why don't you call it a night and do some research before you post drivel on our board?

Certainly did on the weekend. Only 9 touches for Eddie! Hasn't kicked a goal against us in his last 3 games, but in his previously he kicked 13!

Anyway, looking forward to this one, we're in some pretty handy form right now, and hopefully it continues here. Was hoping Brodie would play because many think we're into him end of year.
From inside the club Brodie wants to stay and the club look to be wanting to keep him so I doubt you’ll get anywhere with that

Oh yeah sorry
The Suns don't develop players right?
Except we took him as a VFL player and taught him how to play at AFL standard
So why don't you call it a night and do some research before you post drivel on our board?
Where did I say that? I know you developed his ability to play AFL, I've followed his career longer than most given I'm a Coburg supporter and always follow players drafted from there wherever they land, I just didn't think he was defensively very sound whilst he was at Gold Coast, but that may have been more of a midfield issue.
From inside the club Brodie wants to stay and the club look to be wanting to keep him so I doubt you’ll get anywhere with that
Fair enough, hope he stays. We probably don't have the capital to tempt him anyway, money or picks wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did I say that? I know you developed his ability to play AFL, I've followed his career longer than most given I'm a Coburg supporter and always follow players drafted from there wherever they land, I just didn't think he was defensively very sound whilst he was at Gold Coast, but that may have been more of a midfield issue.

Fair enough, hope he stays. We probably don't have the capital to tempt him anyway, money or picks wise.
He was always fantastic defensively we just had s**t house pressure out of the midfield. And yeah i highly doubt there is anything the bombers could offer us to get him down there

Did you seriously come onto our Clubs page to gloat about Essendon then crack a stiffie over Brodie because you want to pinch him off the wooden spooners.
Have you been outside Moonee Ponds before?

Did you seriously come onto our Clubs page to gloat about Essendon then crack a stiffie over Brodie because you want to pinch him off the wooden spooners.
Have you been outside Moonee Ponds before?
Sorry if it came off that way. Also I live on the other side of the city so...

I can fully appreciate that everyone may be a bit touchy given the current circumstances but let's give our guests the benefit of the doubt before jumping down their throats - It's a lonely little existence if it's only us living in an echo chamber.

Opposition supporters - Just remember it's hard to convey intention and tone over the internet so please be mindful of anything that may come across disingenuous or condescending - Otherwise we enjoy having you here and hope you enjoy this game week.

Cheers

Can you give him back to us then, just for the Crows matches until Eddie retires?

As for the Brodie comment, you probably deserved to be put back in your box, but I won't add to it, because it seems you didn't realise how stupid it was.

You will be in this game up to your eyeballs.

Fortunately (for you) we are often our own worst enemy in games we are expected by the football public to win. We've won 2 of our last 6 when playing the team on the bottom of the ladder. Not to mention a few important injuries for us.

I think the Carlton game was a step in the right direction for the Suns. Most Essendon people with some idea about the game will be nervous before this one.

Can only hope the Essendon players are drinking their own bath water like some of their supporters are this week. Some very handy ins this week as well, not without a chance.

We will have a few missing - McKenna, Heppell & Fantasia all unlikely to play, Hooker 50/50 so there's 4 pretty damn good players that could miss for us so I'd definitely say your not without a chance here....

You will be in this game up to your eyeballs.

Fortunately (for you) we are often our own worst enemy in games we are expected by the football public to win. We've won 2 of our last 6 when playing the team on the bottom of the ladder. Not to mention a few important injuries for us.

I think the Carlton game was a step in the right direction for the Suns. Most Essendon people with some idea about the game will be nervous before this one.
Forgive the negative responses you are seeing to your fair posts, I dare say some of it is due to experiences such as mine where dons fans I know are already gloating about how this game will lock them into the finals, so humble.

I suppose they have every right to be confident but considering the recent history of their club it’s not a great look, reinforcing my dislike of self entitled cheaters. I dare say some others on this forum have had similar interactions hence why the Brodie comment has raised several responses.

There are two types of Essendon supporters following what was an exceptional win for us against Adelaide. Those who are projecting that sort of performance as normal, and those who can see that it was not something we can expect to repeat often. We have a core of players out (Daniher, Bellchambers, Smith, Fantasia, Hurley) and our backups are doing remarkably well. But if we add to that with McKenna, and possibly Hooker and Heppell, we will be fielding a team without real match winners, and a lot of fillins/fringe players. Even if Hooker and Heppell play, they will not be capable of their usual standard of performance. It is not a complacency/arrogance thing. We genuinely are pretty weakened and vulnerable ATM.
If GC can fire up, they are a real chance.
If you contain Merrett and Shiel, we don't have much in the way of weapons. Ruck and clearances could be a real chance for GC to control the game.

There are two types of Essendon supporters following what was an exceptional win for us against Adelaide. Those who are projecting that sort of performance as normal, and those who can see that it was not something we can expect to repeat often. We have a core of players out (Daniher, Bellchambers, Smith, Fantasia, Hurley) and our backups are doing remarkably well. But if we add to that with McKenna, and possibly Hooker and Heppell, we will be fielding a team without real match winners, and a lot of fillins/fringe players. Even if Hooker and Heppell play, they will not be capable of their usual standard of performance. It is not a complacency/arrogance thing. We genuinely are pretty weakened and vulnerable ATM.
If GC can fire up, they are a real chance.
If you contain Merrett and Shiel, we don't have much in the way of weapons. Ruck and clearances could be a real chance for GC to control the game.
What's wrong with Heppell?

If any team is weakened it's Suns. Suns missed 11 best 22 against Carlton (Thompson, Collins, Bowes, Ainsworth, Weller, Miles, Ah Chee, Martin, Powell, Rankine, Holman). 7 of them I consider top 10 (Thompson, Collins, Bowes, Ainsworth, Weller, Ah Chee, Martin). Against Essendon Brodie is also out (he was arguably the best player) but Miles and Weller should be back. Ainsworth and Bowes should also be available but both are coming from a long lay off.

Suns did dominated centre clearances against Blues but Essendon speed and Suns turnovers and no confidence will probably kill us. Suns need to start well to have any chance.

Last edited:
Heppell has a foot injury. It is a growth plate on his foot that has not fused properly and will not get better without an operation. He had his other foot operated on for the same thing a few years ago. He missed 2 games with it prior to Adelaide and then played under duress. He didn't start in the middle very often and played out of the goal square in the last quarter. He has been wearing a moon boot for the last month, except for the week before the Adelaide game, and he is back in it this week. They will try to nurse him as much as possible, and see if, and how often, he can play with it for the rest of the season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back