Autopsy Round 19 = Port Adelaide 97-69 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Minus the loss, can't fault the effort. Were outclassed by experience in the 2nd quarter, but they fought back and took it right up to them.
In the end their men v our kids probably was the factor. But geez did our kids showed a lot of promise.

Ollie. Another great game. Could have had 5 goals. 15 disposals and 7 score involvements.
Bianco. Continues to shine.
Macrae looked good in the midfield, will keep improving.
Poulter, another who is getting better.
Ginny, May not have got a lot of it (medium forwards don't tend to), but when he did have the ball, his composure was outstanding. Most take years to get that. Looked really comfortable. He is one you have to perserve with. Had a chuckle when he drew that free kick.
Ruscoe - Feels like he now has a spot in that backline. Looks more comfortable every game he plays there. Just reads the ball well, and can just play his own game.

Future is bright!

Last edited:
If the AFL were ever going to relent and allow Cox to have frees paid for arm chopping and tunneling I would say persist with him but as that isn't going to happen he has no future in the game.
Someone give him Dixon's jumper

Two chances and they still couldn't get the rules right

E6-lsXsVcAwQ7-L

One of the most skillful players I have ever seen... Played 15 games in his first season with us in 75. Won the Copeland and finished 3 votes behind Dempsey in the Brownlow. Oh what could have been if he wasn't a peanut... Another that comes to mind is Rene Kink but for different reasons

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was also a superb athlete one of the all time greats if he had half a brain.

Last edited:
Just got home from a Queensland pub where i watched the game with no sound.
I will read this thread tomorrow, but did the ch7 commentators talk about the umpiring?
It was the worst I've seen since the 1987 game against the swans at Victoria park.
I'm ******* ropeable.
They DID say that Roughead had been very unlucky on the night.
( FWIW, I thought there were some god-awful decisions that cost us goals at both ends).

FWIW, I have no problem with posters bagging thr club when win or lose. I have a problem with people thinking they have the right to tell others what they can and cannot say (drawing a line at threats of violence, racism sexism etc.) . I'm under the assumption that we are all mad passionate pies fans on here and sometimes we get frustrated..

FWIW, I have no problem with posters bagging thr club when win or lose. I have a problem with people thinking they have the right to tell others what they can and cannot say (drawing a line at threats of violence, racism sexism etc.) . I'm under the assumption that we are all mad passionate pies fans on here and sometimes we get frustrated..
Very true Shannin however there are some true artists who hide behind passionate posts and have a long history of antagonism to club, player etc.

It shines through in their of their posts outside of the game day thread.

Passion is a very real and laudable thing - so is hiding behind it.

Whilst never happy to lose, I was pretty relaxed watching last nights game.

451 games and Rosebury is hopeless and/or a cheat. What hope do the other umpires have? How he could look at Walsh last week and not penalise him for holding the ball and then this week go bang in the first quarter for “no genuine attempt“ was laughable.

We butcher the ball a bit but at least it was generally trying aggressive kicks.

Pendles - Hope it’s not serious

Tohill - Clearly was not ready to play AFL. Was GW sending a message that our key defensive stocks are completely screwed?

Henry - looks to have settled in. Looks a smart forward and that is something we lack. I wonder who GW will recruit to be his partner? Hawks had the Breust/Gunston combo that were both super intelligent.

Macrae - can find the football and will settle in with more games.

Cameron - Does not do enough. Does nice things but needs to do more.

Grundy - to his credit that was a better game. Not a brilliant / dominant game but a step in the right direction.

Ruscoe - seems to have found a home at half back or doing enough to be steak knives in a deal.

Crisp - one of the better games he has played. Ball use seemed to be good.

Cox - Never used to get out marked but now he does.

Ginnivan - can guarantee now that we have a player that can draw free kicks, the afl will change the rules.

Steele - got more of the ball but not amazing. At least he had a crack.

Robert Harvey - to his credit he has coached ok. He has not had Moore (barely had him) or Howe and then loses Pendles in the first term. He deserves a few more wins.

2022 forward line:

Main forward - to be filled
2nd forward - Cameron
3rd tall - Checkers
4th - Henry / Elliott
smalls - McCreery and Ginnivan - maybe Dib gets added the mix and Daicos

It is slowly starting to come together.

We don't have a lot of absolute star talent coming through, but we have so much young guys who looks quality future Ayers it's not funny.

Quaynor, Henry, McRae, Poulter, Bianco and now add in Ruscoe in his position. It feels to me like an era shift, and I'm so glad we've been able to do it without getting pumped each week like so many others. I can see these guys all playing 150 plus games for the club.

I would like to say that I absolutely agree, but I think it’s still a bit too early to make a call on the bolded. You can add McCreery to that list, maybe Ginnivan too, and we still haven’t seen McInnes or McMahon, much less Johnson.

If these guys become good players - just good - Hine will have performed extraordinarily well. If some do better than that, then we will have had a very rich haul from two years of drafting.

Re your other point - about us not getting pumped every week - I have been saying this all season. Our defence has performed miraculously, given no Moore or Howe and some of our playing personnel.

When this horrible season finally ends, including our off-field turmoil, I think we will in many ways have overachieved. A lesser club would have crumpled under the pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to say that I absolutely agree, but I think it’s still a bit too early to make a call on the bolded. You can add McCreery to that list, maybe Ginnivan too, and we still haven’t seen McInnes or McMahon, much less Johnson.

If these guys become good players - just good - Hine will have performed extraordinarily well. If some do better than that, then we will have had a very rich haul from two years of drafting.

Re your other point - about us not getting pumped every week - I have been saying this all season. Our defence has performed miraculously, given no Moore or Howe and some of our playing personnel.

When this horrible season finally ends, including our off-field turmoil, I think we will in many ways have overachieved. A lesser club would have crumpled under the pressure.
Good points Vicky and if the club takes the effort to study our off and on field performance in a season of extraordinary turmoil and challenge there is a lot to learn from it that will make us a better club.

Collingwood took the game on, and played on and tried to move the ball forward at every opportunity. This is also the reason we lost because we turned it over as a result of our aggressive ball movment and gave away too many turnover end to end goals.

Its almost as if Collingwood wasnt trying to win and instead was just trying to invest in a new game plan and a new list of players..............:)

Collingwood took the game on, and played on and tried to move the ball forward at every opportunity. This is also the reason we lost because we turned it over as a result of our aggressive ball movment and gave away too many turnover end to end goals.

Its almost as if Collingwood wasnt trying to win and instead was just trying to invest in a new game plan and a new list of players..............:)
I would buy tickets to that Timmy :eek: ;)

Just got home from a Queensland pub where i watched the game with no sound.
I will read this thread tomorrow, but did the ch7 commentators talk about the umpiring?
It was the worst I've seen since the 1987 game against the swans at Victoria park.
I'm ******* ropeable.
I often feel like we’re getting a raw deal from the umps and I try to temper my reactions by acknowledging my own bias. Last night, though, was over the top. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game where there were so many blatantly wrong decisions favouring one side and the 50/50 calls went one way. I’m not saying it cost us the game, but I will say the game would have been much tighter with a decent umpiring performance.
So I have some questions… what is the AFL’s process for dealing with situations like this? Is there a process for identifying the reasons for an umpiring performance like that, and if so how does it work?
More fundamentally, is there a process for identifying and treating historical biases, and if so how does that work? If there isn’t such a process, why not? I hope we aren’t taking all this on trust alone.
At the very least there should be a register, held by the umpiring administration, of umpires’ historical club likes and dislikes so either performance can be matched and assessed against that or, preferably, umpires never get allocated to games involving specified teams.

I often feel like we’re getting a raw deal from the umps and I try to temper my reactions by acknowledging my own bias. Last night, though, was over the top. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a game where there were so many blatantly wrong decisions favouring one side and the 50/50 calls went one way. I’m not saying it cost us the game, but I will say the game would have been much tighter with a decent umpiring performance.
So I have some questions… what is the AFL’s process for dealing with situations like this? Is there a process for identifying the reasons for an umpiring performance like that, and if so how does it work?
More fundamentally, is there a process for identifying and treating historical biases, and if so how does that work? If there isn’t such a process, why not? I hope we aren’t taking all this on trust alone.
At the very least there should be a register, held by the umpiring administration, of umpires’ historical club likes and dislikes so either performance can be matched and assessed against that or, preferably, umpires never get allocated to games involving specified teams.
Having such processes in train would hinder the AFL's ability to 'craft' the season.
It's a simple matter of dollars.
The AFL has spent hundreds of millions of clubs and supporters dollars in setting up the expansion clubs - they must succeed or the AFL is bankrupt - at least morally - if not financially.
Then there are the demands of the AFL's masters to consider - allowing clubs to perform to their capabilities disrupts the carefully constructed 'premiership cycle' that has been enforced on all Victorian clubs. Allowing clubs to prosper from their own hard work would mean that viewing audiences and betting odds would be warped away from maximum revenue penetration and said masters would be very unhappy.
In short it will never happen.

Poulter still showing good signs too - puts his body on the line, clean below his knees, finds the ball well. And some glimpses from Ginnivan, there’s definitely something there.
Must be watching different games.
Ginnivan did not get near it and I did write in the match thread about Poulter legitimately not wanting the ball. I like Poulter and understand it’s his first year but with his leg he should be instructed to get on the end it far more. Body on the line…..yet to see it at all.

That one umpire f’ed us, the Noble HTB in the first WTF? The frees against Roughy, the 9 metre pass, did he sing the song with the Port players after the game? I thought he was best on ground for them.

Dead set cheat.

Noble forgot to wiggle like a worm! Absolutely no prior whatsoever.

Who was asking questions of 'where's Henry re'.. when there was no word spoken of him from a few weeks ago re.. the Gimp mate.. and who saw the good in Ruscoe when everyone was like.. what's this bloke re.. like ergghhh.. and aghhhh.. and all that sort of stuff and that re sort of a thing and that re.. the Gimp mate..

How's that for an eagle eye for talent re.

Am I a great or what re.

Geez I really hope that Reef (or maybe Tyler Brown) makes the grade.

Unfortunately with Sier looking on the way out, no Treloar, & with Pendles close to the end, Adams is our only genuine inside clearance player at the moment. When he isn’t winning it at the coal face we really struggle.

Our other options like Josh Daicos, McCrae & a future Nick Daicos are all much more uncontested players, who we want as our second possession+ players

Personally I think this should be a focus late in the draft or rookie draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back