Autopsy Round 19 = Port Adelaide 97-69 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m really happy with how we went. Kids showed plenty, lost Pendles yet we kept finding, copped every bad decision yet we kept coming.

All the kids showed something.

Decision to have Cox as sub cost us significantly.WTF?

How? Which of the other emergencies would have made any significant difference? I wouldn't ever pick Cox as the Med-sub myself but I find this line of thinking perplexing. I actually thought Cox nullified Aliir's impact which on the whole helped our performance.

Mcceery excited me from day one. It wasn't about touches, it was his attack on the pill and the pressure he placed on defenders.

Different types. Both types have a place in our forward line.

How? Which of the other emergencies would have made any significant difference? I wouldn't ever pick Cox as the Med-sub myself but I find this line of thinking perplexing. I actually thought Cox nullified Aliir's impact which on the whole helped our performance.
I think it resulting in our forward line becoming relatively immobile and making Elliott have to play mid minutes was significantly impactful. A midfielder (like Sier) would have been much better suited.

I think it resulting in our forward line becoming relatively immobile and making Elliott have to play mid minutes was significantly impactful. A midfielder (like Sier) would have been much better suited.

Again, I don't see it. There may have been some minor improvement through the midfield, but then you allow Aliir (7 disposal, 5 marks, most in the 1st quarter, 1st <10 disposals for the season) greater potential to impact as he has done all season, net gain, a NTTAWWTteenth of FA. I think the criticism is largely based on the perspectives people hold on Cox rather than any real on-field variance. I also liked that a player like Macrae likely got greater midfield time as a consequence, and that Checkers got greater freedom. Elliott always has midfield rotations.

I'm starting to think Sier has been told he won't play again - no matter what - which would lead me to think he's broken a non negotiable rule. Sometimes what isn't said is more important than what's said. He hasn't played since he suffered "gastro" early in the year.
If Sier is no longer an option which seems to be the case, the cupboard is bare

I'm starting to think Sier has been told he won't play again - no matter what - which would lead me to think he's broken a non negotiable rule. Sometimes what isn't said is more important than what's said. He hasn't played since he suffered "gastro" early in the year.

I reckon you'll know next week

Played the following week and returned R11 & R12.

Cox was pretty useless I thought and I reckon he added nothing much at all, but more than that I reckon it is insane picking a 2 position player as sub. Just my opinion.

Cox was pretty useless I thought and I reckon he added nothing much at all, but more than that I reckon it is insane picking a 2 position player as sub. Just my opinion.

Okay. Aliir averages 15.3 disposals, 6.3 marks, 7.8 intercepts, yet was kept to 7 disposals (3 BC), 5 marks (2BC), 6 ITC's (2BC) while Cox himself managed 5 disposals and kicked 1-1. You see that as "pretty useless", I see it as nullifying 1 of their key players. Aliir going to Cox also meant Checkers got off the leash because he got McKenzie/Jonas, 10 marks and 3.3. Still doesn't answer the question, which of our emergencies would have had a more significant impact?

Last edited:
Okay. Aliir averages 15.3 disposals, 6.3 marks, 7.8 intercepts, yet was kept to 7 disposals (3 BC), 5 marks (2BC), 6 ITC's (2BC) while Cox himself managed 5 disposals and kicked 1-1. You see that as "pretty useless", I see it as nullifying 1 of their key players. Aliir going to Cox also meant Checkers got off the leash because he got McKenzie/Jonas, 10 marks and 3.3.

I thought Aliir slowed down after the Grundy knee to the nuts

I usually don't contribute to autopsy threads - I always feel a little dirty when I do. It's either gleeful triumphalism, or wailing and gnashing of teeth, so I tend to say nothing.
I'd just like to say that Friday night was the most that I've enjoyed a game of football that I thought we had no hope of winning since the last game of 2017 - a game that the Pies won and kept Melbourne out of the finals. I left that game full of hope for the next year. Friday night I went to bed full of the same hope.

Some of the kids are going to make it. Next year won't be nirvana , but it will be potentially a joy to watch.

A word about Sidebottom. He isn't the player he once was, but I thought he tried his guts out in the 2nd half particularly. Should have given the handball to Ginnivan, but it seemed like a case of his brain still thinking he's capable of kicking the goal when his body isn't. Probably still has some trade value - would we be brave enough to pull the trigger?

I usually don't contribute to autopsy threads - I always feel a little dirty when I do. It's either gleeful triumphalism, or wailing and gnashing of teeth, so I tend to say nothing.
I'd just like to say that Friday night was the most that I've enjoyed a game of football that I thought we had no hope of winning since the last game of 2017 - a game that the Pies won and kept Melbourne out of the finals. I left that game full of hope for the next year. Friday night I went to bed full of the same hope.

Some of the kids are going to make it. Next year won't be nirvana , but it will be potentially a joy to watch.

A word about Sidebottom. He isn't the player he once was, but I thought he tried his guts out in the 2nd half particularly. Should have given the handball to Ginnivan, but it seemed like a case of his brain still thinking he's capable of kicking the goal when his body isn't. Probably still has some trade value - would we be brave enough to pull the trigger?
I think a sidebottom trade is quite possible but not for a dregs pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get why they did it. Harvey seems to want to play an extra marking target up forward than Bux used to. At the moment, he's got the mediocre choice between Cox and Murphy as the third tall target. If he had've played Cox in the 22 and the more versatile Murphy as sub, it'd look fine, but it's really the same as playing Murphy in the team and Cox as sub, as an injury just means that Cox moves to the third tall option and Murphy gets used like the sub.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back