Autopsy Round 19: Richmond vs Collingwood, @ Victoria park, Saturday 22nd of August at 10:30am

Remove this Banner Ad

So basically we a have bit of depth in form. But fitting the Bean in is hard and Knights just has to prove his fitness before they'll risk him. Apart from that the VFL team needs a lot of work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went along and watched up until 3/4 time.
McBean was the highlight. He worked really hard pushing well up the ground to give a target and then deep in the forward line where he is most dangerous. He was the best big man out there today
Knights was good he's smart and puts himself in the right position. Last week he was kicking a lot on his right this week he used the left more but lacked a bit of penetration.
Butler was better than last week I watched him and he was working really hard defensively. It's very hard for players like him and Castangna to use their run and carry because of the game style we play. Slow sideways movement means there's not a great lot of opportunities to really take the game on
Mena due was also better than the previous week. He showed a bit of dash on a couple of occasions and looks like the type of player that is more comfortable going long (good penetration with kicking ) than trying to pinpoint 25m passes.
Mckenzie is a work in progress he looks spent to me he seemed to be treading water at different times today but still managed to take some good grabs and is surprisingly good on the ground.
Elton was OK I thought.considering the amount of ball coming in and the size of the Pies forward line. He attacked the ball in the air and took the gamer on a few times in the 2nd Q when we had our tails up.
Castagna is a very busy player doing all the team stuff _ 2nd and 3rd efforts are good and he tackles well. I think they might be developing him as a run with/defensive mid rather than a small back. From what I saw he didn't have as much of it as last week
Gordon was very ordinary. He doesn't have footy smarts but is a good athlete, just didn't work hard enough today.
Pies fill ins were much better than ours. Close who is a similar size and shape to McBean looked good. Moves like a basketballer has a good vertical leap. Looks a worthwhile rookie type

I don't really think we should have a problem with McBean coming into the side next season in terms of us upsetting the 2 or 3 talls structure, purely for the fact that he doesn't really play as a tall. Yes he is good overhead and is (technically) tall, but he isn't really a contested marking big forward, plays more as a quick medium sized lead up forward. He is pretty good below the knees and quick off the mark, he gets most of his goals by creating space off his defender and marking a meter in front rather than wrestling, he's also very good on the snap. The question is who does he replace in the side as a forward?
Its hard to see who we are going to drop in the coming weeks to fit in Grimes and Conca, let alone trying to squeeze McBean in, I suppose the 2 that should be nervous would be Lloyd and Morris but if they keep playing like they have the last 2 weeks how could you drop them?
I'm still in the camp that would like to see Hunt upgraded, but he's been in the side all year so hard to see that happening.

I don't really think we should have a problem with McBean coming into the side next season in terms of us upsetting the 2 or 3 talls structure, purely for the fact that he doesn't really play as a tall. Yes he is good overhead and is (technically) tall, but he isn't really a contested marking big forward, plays more as a quick medium sized lead up forward. He is pretty good below the knees and quick off the mark, he gets most of his goals by creating space off his defender and marking a meter in front rather than wrestling, he's also very good on the snap. The question is who does he replace in the side as a forward?
Its hard to see who we are going to drop in the coming weeks to fit in Grimes and Conca, let alone trying to squeeze McBean in, I suppose the 2 that should be nervous would be Lloyd and Morris but if they keep playing like they have the last 2 weeks how could you drop them?
I'm still in the camp that would like to see Hunt upgraded, but he's been in the side all year so hard to see that happening.
If McBean comes in it's at the expense of Lennon or Lloyd. Hard to drop Lloyd after his goals from the last few weeks. Likewise hard to drop Lennon when he's getting comfortable with the pace. Plus the forward line is working really well together after getting some consistency

We won't see McBean again this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back