No Oppo Supporters Round 19 - Richmond VS GWS - Saturday July 30 13:45 - NO OPPOSITION SUPPORTERS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week’s win over Port Adelaide was Greater Western Sydney's 12th for the year, a new record for the club, and they'll be keen to repeat the dose against Richmond, a team they’ve never beaten. The Giants sit in second spot on the ladder, one of six teams on 12 wins for the season, so they will be well aware of the importance surrounding this clash in Canberra. The Tigers showed some good signs against Hawthorn last week but fell away badly after half-time, so coach Damien Hardwick will want a strong showing on Saturday afternoon. It's Richmond’s first visit to the nation's capital and if the Giants maintain the intensity they showed in the second half against the Power, the Tigers will have a tough flight home.

LAST FIVE MEETINGS
R14, 2015, Richmond 10.18 (78) d Greater Western Sydney 10.9 (69) at the MCG
R19, 2014, Richmond 13.11 (89) d Greater Western Sydney 8.14 (62) at the MCG
R10, 2014, Richmond 24.10 (154) d Greater Western Sydney 5.11 (41) at Spotless Stadium
R22, 2013, Richmond 25.13 (163) d Greater Western Sydney 6.6 (42) at Spotless Stadium
R12, 2012, Richmond 11.20 (86) d Greater Western Sydney 12.2 (74) at Spotless Stadium

THE SIX POINTS
1. When these two sides last played the Giants led by five points at half-time and 15 at three-quarter time, before the Tigers overran them. Trent Cotchin was the difference with 33 disposals, two goals and seven tackles.

2. No team has kicked the football more this season than GWS, who are averaging 222.2 per game; the Tigers are sixth at 207.1 per game.

3. The Giants and the Tigers have met five times and Richmond has won all of them, with two of the victories coming by more than 100 points.

4. GWS is the number one clearance side after 17 games averaging 41 per game, while Richmond has struggled in this area, ranked 11th at 36.2 per game.

5. The Giants have overtaken Adelaide as the highest scoring side in 2016, kicking 109 points per game; the Tigers are a long way back with 84 points per game.

6. Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin has continued his rise up the Schick Official Player Ratings, he’s now ranked 26th after being 54th in the competition after round five.

IT’S A BIG WEEK FOR… Jack Riewoldt
The star Tiger had a quiet afternoon against the Hawks last week and needs to respond if his side is any chance of causing an upset. The small ground in Canberra will make it hard for Riewoldt to find space against a Giants' defence in top form, and if the Tigers can't generate more than the 37 inside 50s they had against Hawthorn, they're in trouble.

PREDICTION: Greater Western Sydney by 57 points

Taken from AFL website.

About to head off to the game. I'm expecting parking and entry queues to be the usual hassle. Though should say though that Manuka Oval's playing surface is actually slightly longer than the MCG (167.5m to 160m) while its width is marginally shorter (138.2m to 141m). The surface is superb so Jack should be right at home if only our mids can give him some decent delivery. The grey sky is starting to lift and there is no wind to speak of. All in all perfect conditions for footy. I'm hoping for a competitive game but can't realistically expect a win. It's a bit ironic that GWS's coach is a former Tiger player but he does have one hell of a list to work with. I've a bad feeling that GWS is going to be a nuisance in the competition for many years to come. With their playing depth, they have the opportunity to create a Hawthorn/Cats dynasty of their own as long as they don't stuff it up.

will be interesting

i think if we had lids we could win,

they beat poort who have pumped us twice by 100 points at this ground earlier in the year.

if dimma tries to play his stupid slow kick backwards gameplan we will get destroyed. our only chance is to play the fast game like in the dogs game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't even know who this guy is
He is a champ, known him since he was a young fella.
That's typical of these Giants. He has played about 80 games, is crazy brave, great skills and can close small forwards right down, yet nobody knows who he is because they are all stars.
Would be one of our better players:(

FFS the little campaigner Boomer has accused us of tanking to secure draft picks.

I hope our club takes action.
Bullshit????
He really hates us I wonder what happened?
If he said that then that is the dumbest thing he will ever say, and of all the weeks??
We don't need to tank!!

GWS owe us for some serious beltings (100+ points), and I have this horrible feeling today will be one of those days. Hopefully GWS can win a flag soon so the AFL can stop giving them a free ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back