Preview Round 19 - Richmond VS GWS - Saturday July 30 13:45

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last week’s win over Port Adelaide was Greater Western Sydney's 12th for the year, a new record for the club, and they'll be keen to repeat the dose against Richmond, a team they’ve never beaten. The Giants sit in second spot on the ladder, one of six teams on 12 wins for the season, so they will be well aware of the importance surrounding this clash in Canberra. The Tigers showed some good signs against Hawthorn last week but fell away badly after half-time, so coach Damien Hardwick will want a strong showing on Saturday afternoon. It's Richmond’s first visit to the nation's capital and if the Giants maintain the intensity they showed in the second half against the Power, the Tigers will have a tough flight home.

LAST FIVE MEETINGS
R14, 2015, Richmond 10.18 (78) d Greater Western Sydney 10.9 (69) at the MCG
R19, 2014, Richmond 13.11 (89) d Greater Western Sydney 8.14 (62) at the MCG
R10, 2014, Richmond 24.10 (154) d Greater Western Sydney 5.11 (41) at Spotless Stadium
R22, 2013, Richmond 25.13 (163) d Greater Western Sydney 6.6 (42) at Spotless Stadium
R12, 2012, Richmond 11.20 (86) d Greater Western Sydney 12.2 (74) at Spotless Stadium

THE SIX POINTS
1. When these two sides last played the Giants led by five points at half-time and 15 at three-quarter time, before the Tigers overran them. Trent Cotchin was the difference with 33 disposals, two goals and seven tackles.

2. No team has kicked the football more this season than GWS, who are averaging 222.2 per game; the Tigers are sixth at 207.1 per game.

3. The Giants and the Tigers have met five times and Richmond has won all of them, with two of the victories coming by more than 100 points.

4. GWS is the number one clearance side after 17 games averaging 41 per game, while Richmond has struggled in this area, ranked 11th at 36.2 per game.

5. The Giants have overtaken Adelaide as the highest scoring side in 2016, kicking 109 points per game; the Tigers are a long way back with 84 points per game.

6. Richmond midfielder Dustin Martin has continued his rise up the Schick Official Player Ratings, he’s now ranked 26th after being 54th in the competition after round five.

IT’S A BIG WEEK FOR… Jack Riewoldt
The star Tiger had a quiet afternoon against the Hawks last week and needs to respond if his side is any chance of causing an upset. The small ground in Canberra will make it hard for Riewoldt to find space against a Giants' defence in top form, and if the Tigers can't generate more than the 37 inside 50s they had against Hawthorn, they're in trouble.

PREDICTION: Greater Western Sydney by 57 points

Taken from AFL website.

Ah, the one game that I have been dreading for quite a while now. We need to be wary of playing against them like we did against Hawthorn. GWS have a good midfield and their forward line has the most points for, telling me that they can do some serious damage if we give them the midfield ascendency we gave Hawthorn.

I say GWS to get one back at us and win by 100+ points (maybe around 103 points). We may avoid a 100+ loss if Mumford doesn't play, if Houli comes back in or if they simply take the foot off the pedal. As it stands though, I just don't see us win the midfield battle (GWS are 1st for inside 50s and we are in the bottom 4 for this at 15th), don't see our defence stand up to their forward line and don't see our forwards kick a high score, hence why I am saying a 100+ loss.

We haven't received back-to-back smashings in many years though, so it'll be interesting to see whether or not they actually perform well for this game.

We have played them in Canberra in a NAB Cup match.
Ah, the one where we smashed them by 74 points

The scoring shots were 40 (20.20) to 16 (10.6) that day. What happened to our forward line? It used to be much more potent in those 2012-2013 days.

Yea

But let's face it McBean was given three games and needs time in the VFL to learn how to kick

Vickery's currency is so low it can only go up
How much more time does Liam need? He's only had four years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Call be crazy, but shouldn't you at least have a passable AFL level kick before you are drafted.
Athletes before footballers.
it's been something that has pissed me off for a while now.

Just go for an attacking game plan this week, no point in being ultra defensive, they have way to much class to stop them. Just realise the shackles
I agree. No more of this stop start crap.
if it's 15 goals to 25, then so be it.

I agree. No more of this stop start crap.
if it's 15 goals to 25, then so be it.
Too true. Be great if a few of those on the list underneath the iceberg tip that we were told about were given a run. Richmond's young list up against the comps best young list going head to head. See where the Club really sits in the scheme of things.

Not going to happen but I would love to see C Moore come in for McBean/Vickery before the year is out. I think he needs some one to go LTI to be elevated though. He will be a great tall fwd in time. Real X factor type s**t.
He was excellent last Sunday in the VFL. really impressive.

It's finally arrived. After more than 5 years of saying the concessions are bullshit and GWS have been gift wrapped a bunch of premierships, I've always been able to point to the fact GWS have never beaten us to show that it's a rational position and I'm not just sulking because we lost. I was saying they'd been handed premierships back when we were beating them by 20 goals, and I still am now.

As of Saturday, I'm no longer going to be able to claim that. I'm just going to become another Vic supporter who is jelly and offended because his team lost to the giants. And that's how it will remain as they embark on their multi-flag conquest. It's lucky they have no fans to bring it up.

#eco

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back