Review Round 19 - Sydney Swans vs Essendon - Match Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I understand that, been hearing it all year, but you know what, if you cross the line at the start then you are 100% fit IMO. We are not lacking depth in his area so why not rest him?

I have been thinking the same. He is obviously injured and we have plenty of mids to cover. I reckon Mitchell will be ready in a couple of weeks. Dan might be back next week and we could cover easily. Young George Hewitt played a blinder for the Twos this week. The kid is really good, the best balanced footballer I have seen since Barry Robran, Michael Voss or Paul Kelly. Speaking of Kells, Harry can also play mid. We have multiple options so I don't see the problem with resting Kizza if he is injured.

have to agree lrt is all but shot and it's not just yesterday that he has been showing signs that his time is up.

Been a great career for a limited player

Great clubman

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Bird struggling tonight , membrey has worked so hard of the ball and they won't kick it to him.

No, some of our senior players will only kick to each other. I am going to name them, Mal & Macca. On quite a few occasions these two had either Membrey or Towers free and then ignored them. Towers led up very well on several occasions and was only used at the last minute because he was the last resort. By that time his opponent had him covered. Macca did this to him twice. Towers led and was clear and Macca kicked to Goodes who was covered by two players, one to contest one to mop up. This is not saying there is a deliberate divide but it is subliminal. Having played so long together they automatically hit up the long term team-mate. Was happening early in the year too. Need another one of those no holds barred talks. Maybe they could talk about the coaches being sucked into leaving free men in defence & not covering the opposition defensive side of stoppages & centre bounces.

Poor guy is getting eaten alive for trying to inject logic.

Yeah thought he deserved some praise for acknowledging better side won

I mean whinge about umps

But th tin foil hat wearing s**t is a bit much

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
punts - we are getting to the pointy end. we will play three top 8 teams three weeks in a row. (hawks, dons, port) these teams are going to come at us. so far we have held up well....well no...we've done better than that....longmire & co are not resting on their laurels....we are building...

We were very lucky tonight. I don't think those watching on telly could know just how lucky. There were occasions when they had a run on and stuffed it very badly by either poor delivery or taking poor options. The third and last quarters were full of Bomber clangers that we mopped up. We can't continue to get murdered in the stoppages. We can't also continue to leave opposition teams with loose men in defence. They set up their attacks from those defensive loose men by creating the overlap or loose man. This nearly tore us apart in the third. Longmire needs to address this s**t before the finals.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Hawthorn and essendon fans back to back is an interesting look at humanity

, bring on the port fans a decent bunch of people

You are from Tassie. You obviously haven't been to a match where Port have been involved in Adelaide. I barrack for Glenelg and grew up in Adelaide and Port fans are just like Collingwood fans. They have all had frontal lobotomies and their favourite TV program is Cage Fighting. I can remember beating them at Alberton, their home ground, one Saturday afternoon. On the way to the train in the carpark there was a bunch of Port thugs running around, literally, beating people up and children were being hit too. I was about 12 or 13 and got king hit by a thug. These are Port fans from the old Port (SANFL) team. I know that there are many Port supporters who didn't follow Port SANFL team but there are still that component.

Not any more he isn't. I saw the reserves and he was ok but poor old LRT was pretty ordinary.

Going to watch the replay tomorrow but there were a number of times I saw Towers close to a contest and not bore in when he should have. Will check to see if I am wrong but that was what that post was for during the game - after one of those times.

I keep hearing "athletic" "fast" "speed" etc etc but all I see is not much of anything but some leads to the boundary line with an opponent close by. Might be harsh as TV clearly doesn't show it all but Tim was at least leading to spaces and actually WANTED the ball. I just haven't seen Dean demand the pill yet by repeated efforts to athletically and speedily get in consistent space.

All moot anyway. Place saver for Hanners or Buddy only.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think he is done for the year in the seniors. Jones back in if Hanners isn't right

Jones is injured keep up with the injury list please. He didn't even play reserves. Mitchell came back and played a half. ROK is finished and so is LRT (well & truly). Saw them both play reserves last night and ROK was ok but LRT just made the contest and that was all, really ordinary in the skills area. Young George Hewitt is pressing for a début with a wonderful game against Brisbane Reserves.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Going to watch the replay tomorrow but there were a number of times I saw Towers close to a contest and not bore in when he should have. Will check to see if I am wrong but that was what that post was for during the game - after one of those times.

I keep hearing "athletic" "fast" "speed" etc etc but all I see is not much of anything but some leads to the boundary line with an opponent close by. Might be harsh as TV clearly doesn't show it all but Tim was at least leading to spaces and actually WANTED the ball. I just haven't seen Dean demand the pill yet by repeated efforts to athletically and speedily get in consistent space.

All moot anyway. Place saver for Hanners or Buddy only.

Being at the game I could the work Towers was doing. But the players upfeild took so long to kick by the time they did his opponent was on him. Both he and Membrey were ignored on quite a few occasions in the third quarter. They were getting to the right spots to open it up on the SCG but not honoured. This was the problem with Jake Lloyd early in the season. The older players justr ignored him.

Saw him lead quiet a few times and get ignored, maybe its a good thing, shows him the ball wont just come to you.

Yes that was the problem the older players ignored him the same as they did Jakie Lloyd when he first played.

Being at the game I could the work Towers was doing. But the players upfeild took so long to kick by the time they did his opponent was on him. Both he and Membrey were ignored on quite a few occasions in the third quarter. They were getting to the right spots to open it up on the SCG but not honoured. This was the problem with Jake Lloyd early in the season. The older players justr ignored him.

Fair enough.

Anyway Hanners and Buddy sort him out.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Call me crazy but id like to see membrey in the side with buddy, could he do more than reid? Maybe i am being silly, just he looked like he belonged

I don't think you are crazy. Can I propose something I think is a long term plan at Swans for player transition.

Membrey = Goodes replacement

Biggs = Mal

Hewett = Macca

Rohan = Shaw

Naismith = Pyke

We are transitioning players very well. We have recruited real talent at the high end. Towers might end being a good player yet. He has always been a player that has had to work hard and learn his game. Membrey looks very comfortable. The thing I am worried about at this time is the transition of the key backs. I think Xav Richards is coming along nicely and Aliir was doing very well until injured. But we need to draft a few young key defenders. We have plenty of time to transition the forwardline. By the way young Goergie Hewett is a real sharp shooter around goal, very clever. He had a shot yesterday that you would have said was almost impossible and if not for the wind blowing it the wrong way would have curved the ball around the goal post and back out through the points. so clever. When people talk about excitement I look at Hewett and think man this young guy has sooooo much talent. He is also good defensively and in the Twos yesterday he set up all the stoppage plays. I get the feeling, even though he is the youngest list player, he is the boss of the mids when the ROK is not there. By the waY Naismith is a very good player and getting better every week.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Held him to two marks for the game. Two! The way Carlisle has been marking them recently, that's a win no matter how you look at it.

I thought Horse had mistake with this match up and thought Teddy would end up on Carlisle. But Reg actually did a great job on him. Reg lost a few times when Carlisle led but in the contested situations he outpointed him hands down. Reg was one of our best players. This also freed Teddy up to run off the resting rucks, which he did on quite few occasions.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Clearances 47 - 40 there way - centre clearances 12-6 there way

This is a worry Punts. We have been destroyed in the stoppages two weeks running. It is a matter of mid set ups and we have gone back to using failed stoppage set ups again. I'd like to ring Stewie's neck. These set ups were being used earlier in the season and were crap. They were abandoned last season too as they open us up. Don't know why we are using them again. What happens is we have most of our players on our defensive side so the other side seeing this sets up on their defensive side. At ball ins they also set up blocks on our defensive side and ferry the ball to their defensive side and then spread. We don't counter this and they get the clearance.

baja

Premiership Player
Dec 23, 2010
Bass Strait
AFL Club
Sydney
Pyke - 49
Bellchambers, Ryder, Goddard, Myers, Hocking - 45

FFS

I thought Pyke played very well so don't take this as a knock on him..

Firstly Im not really a stat person and I do know my footy a little bit, but I have been getting into stats a bit this year, more just out of interest and watching how they work its interesting and you would have to be very naive to think they don't help especially when you read them in context backed with a little football knowledge.

I say this because I got bagged by a few on here by those saying "I don't need stats I know my football"..

Sure that's fine me neither but don't dismiss stats altogether as they can be totally relevant and interesting on a football discussion forum.

As for your post above that I did enjoy..

Pyke 49 hit outs.

Bellchambers, Ryder, Goddard, Myers, Hocking 45 hit outs.

Well firstly, Bellchambers and Ryder had 41 between them Pyke and Tippett had 51 so a couple of other Swans had a couple too.

But its the hits to advantage that Pyke usually does very well in and he did again last night with 49 (29% to adv)
Tippett had 3 (0% to adv) our team had a total 54 (26% to adv)

Essendon had 45 (40% to adv) Ryder 28(32% to adv) Bellchambers 13 (62%:eek: to adv)

Now reading other stats, we were beaten in the clearences 47-40, , beaten in the tackles, beaten in pressure acts..

Sorry for long rant but just putting a little perspective in your ruck stats can we relate them to being beaten in the clearance stats or is it more as Wolftone suggests above, the set ups?

Im sure you wont take it the wrong way, yes we got the win and that's what matters the most but it was far from convincing.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back