Preview Round 19 - Sydney v Geelong, Sunday @ SCG

Who will win

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
VFL team has the bye this coming week - makes it a bit harder with the Menegola situation, because no doubt a second week in the VFL would be beneficial but it's not an option unless we are holding him back for another 3 weeks from senior football

I'm thinking we'll see Scooter into the team this week

Outs: Stanley, Parsons & Atkins
Ins: Scooter, Smith & Menegola/Simpson
Yeah bye situation might get the MC thinking. Small SCG might give scooter or constable a chance. Bring in Sparkle for some flair. Atkins needs a spell, it’s his first year in the 1’s so he needs a break. Parsons on smaller ground, probably not. Swans poor at home in last 2 years, but always solid. We need a win to keep Brisbane & eagles at bay!!! Actually this should be a gauge on how we are are traveling because we need a win and they should be desperate!

Time to piss with the wind, take the game on and run run run.
Screw the scoreboard, time to play a style that suits finals and JUST DO IT, not worry about what the swans may or may not do, just play our way.

Yeah I like this approach! If we lose we are still top! Go crazy!

There's been talk in the autopsy thread of dropping Bews and reverting to our back 6 from earlier in the year.

Just thinking with Atkins and how when he was selected at the start of the season a key aspect of his role seemed to be as a pressure player in our forward half, and not make things easy for the oppositions defenders. He has been down over recent weeks and probably could use a weeks rest followed by a VFL game or 2 to try & find some touch.

Depending on player availablity, could we switch Bews to the forward line to be playing that defensive-forward role? We know that he knows how to lock down on an opposition small forward - could be so something similar with an opposition small/medium defender who would normally provide drive from the backline?

Me...
In. Smith, Scooter, Menegola, Constable
Out. Stanley, Atkins, Rohan, Parsons

But Chris Scott won't drop these players that needs to be dropped and grow some tennis balls.
Constable wins us clearances which we are struggling to do..
Wouldn't mind Narkle in to bring some pace and speed

I don’t necessarily disagree with your changes but Constable’s clearance work is often overstated. He averages 2.9 per game this year. Parsons averages 3.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t necessarily disagree with your changes but Constable’s clearance work is often overstated. He averages 2.9 per game this year. Parsons averages 3.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fair point. The other stat is Constable is better than Parsons ;)

The week before the bye we smashed Richmond. Then was the bye week.

I hope the club knows what they are doing in planning for the finals run.

Good lord. Do I have to think about watching that crap again already? I'll pop back later in the week.
I thought it was pretty good viewing from half time onwards last time we played the swans

Zac Smith played well in this game so I wouldn't mind seeing him come in for Stanley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Give him credit though, he genuinely had a go today.
He's just not up to it.
I'd rather a player put in but not be good enough (the GHS rule) vs a player who has it but doesn't have the effort (the Motlop rule).
Look I agree with you... He did have a go today. Plus there were other players were worse then him.. and I do admit, his 2 games before this game this year he was good...

There's been talk in the autopsy thread of dropping Bews and reverting to our back 6 from earlier in the year.

Just thinking with Atkins and how when he was selected at the start of the season a key aspect of his role seemed to be as a pressure player in our forward half, and not make things easy for the oppositions defenders. He has been down over recent weeks and probably could use a weeks rest followed by a VFL game or 2 to try & find some touch.

Depending on player availablity, could we switch Bews to the forward line to be playing that defensive-forward role? We know that he knows how to lock down on an opposition small forward - could be so something similar with an opposition small/medium defender who would normally provide drive from the backline?

Atkins doesn't lose his feet and competes well to win ground balls that are in dispute. Bews doesn't possess these skills and is an abhorrently poor shot on goal given a sniff. His shank out of bounds today when running into an open goal is testimony to that.

The idea of Bews up forward gives me shivers (not good ones).

could you elaborate AM?
what did Scott say in relation to the McEvoy/Stanley 'duel'?
When talking about the McEvoy ascendency he said something along the lines of which is the more significant a player winning that battle or a side getting done in the clearances as Hawthorn did today. Sort of playing down the significance of the ruck loss I guess. It may be he was protecting his player.

Don't think there's much doubt we'd like to have much better ruck choices, but we don't. I'd like to see Smith get a run next week but it's real crystal ball gazing to make a call on what the MC will do IMO. The only rough guage is to note what those inside the bubble say.

Following is the link to the presser.

Sold.

Don't mind that idea at all - and I've seen Bews play surprisingly decent football up forward at VFL level.

Atkins needs a break, as you say.

After a few years of being on the fence I am firmly in the pro-Bews camp; he is a limited player but knows his limitations and he is as tough as they come. One of the very few players not to dip dramatically in form come finals time. He's definitely in my best 22 barring a serious downturn in consistency and/or form.

When talking about the McEvoy ascendency he said something along the lines of which is the more significant a player winning that battle or a side getting done in the clearances as Hawthorn did today. Sort of playing down the significance of the ruck loss I guess. It may be he was protecting his player.

Don't think there's much doubt we'd like to have much better ruck choices, but we don't. I'd like to see Smith get a run next week but it's real crystal ball gazing to make a call on what the MC will do IMO. The only rough guage is to note what those inside the bubble say.

Following is the link to the presser.

Much obliged AM.

I mentioned in my review earlier in the thread that I reckon the club needs to bite the bullet and put the fate of the club's ruck stocks in its own hands; identify a kid we like and move heaven and earth to get him. I understand that drafting young ruckmen is a tricky business but its time for Wells and co to dig extra deep and identifies the next pimply-faced Paul Salmon (yes I know Salmon started as a FF; he was pimply though) or Steven King.

People have forgotten Parfitt... Surely he comes in if there is no major issue with him.

Dunno about Scooter. I'd have an underdone Menegola ahead of him.

Narkle, Constable, Abbott, Henderson will all be under consideration this week.

Sold.

Don't mind that idea at all - and I've seen Bews play surprisingly decent football up forward at VFL level.

Atkins needs a break, as you say.

After a few years of being on the fence I am firmly in the pro-Bews camp; he is a limited player but knows his limitations and he is as tough as they come. One of the very few players not to dip dramatically in form come finals time. He's definitely in my best 22 barring a serious downturn in consistency and/or form.
I think Bews can play as a negating forward... Gives us defender depth also on match day.

Sydney's ruck situation is worse than ours at the moment. Sinclair's not due back for another couple of weeks, with no other damaging ruckmen available, so the ruck won't be so much of a problem as it may be against other sides. Does that mean they leave Stanley in to get some confidence back, or bring in Abbott for a go after some good VFL form? Or Smith? (although it seems like he's on the outer for some reason). I think it will depend on other changes for the game.

Menegola for Parsons is a no-brainer, and Atkins really looks like he needs a rest, maybe Narkle in for him. Henry and Bews to me is a toss-up, neither have been great in their past couple of outings, I suspect they'll bring Henry in though. I think Joel needs a rest too, but it probably won't happen (Parfitt if fit/Constable if it does).

If they make three other changes I think Stanley stays in, any less and I wouldn't be surprised to see Stanley 'rested' and Abbott given a go.

Must see if Selwood, Menegola, Constable and Narkle are up to it at AFL level for finals. Has to happen now
Also need to get Parfitt and Henry back into the team
My preference is for mass changes this week
In Selwood, Menegola, Smith, Constable, Henry, Parfitt
Out Parsons, Atkins, Guthrie, Stanley, Tuohy, Clark (managed)

Next week on hard Perth ground rest Ablett and bring Narkle in. Rest another for Clark

This week
Kolo Blitz O'Connor
Henry Taylor Stewart
Duncan Kelly Selwood
Dahlhaus Hawkins Menegola
Ablett Ratagolea Rohan
Smith Dangerfield Parfitt
Scooter Bews Miers Constable

IMO Bews is still and has been our best small defender for years and when he gets played on the opposition's best small forward he does his job.

I can't understand why people want him dropped when there are so many other players who don't do their jobs like he does.

Anyway that's my two cents.

I think Bews can play as a negating forward... Gives us defender depth also on match day.

For a laugh the Cats could assign him to Lloyd against the Swans; I suspect he wouldn't last longer than a quarter and get totally dismantled.

Atkins is the man for that job as he is a natural footballer with an infinitely higher footy IQ / skillset than the limited Jed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back