Review Round 19 vs Brisbane @ The GABBA (24.07.2021 @ 3:10pm)

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Goldcoast-vs-Brisbane.png

2021 AFL Season
Round 19
Gold Coast FC vs Brisbane Lions
The GABBA, Wollongabba, Queensland
Saturday 24th July - 3:10pm - Australian Eastern Standard Time​

Last edited:

robo_1

Premiership Player
Nov 11, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I would give Rowell a rest he looks underdone.. He is trying hard but he’s going to be swallow 2.0 smashed up before he is mid 20s if he isn’t protected from himself

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I would give Rowell a rest he looks underdone.. He is trying hard but he’s going to be swallow 2.0 smashed up before he is mid 20s if he isn’t protected from himself
Agree, looks no where near his former self so if he is underdone and we aren’t making finals then why are we playing him

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm not sure Lach comes in after having such an interrupted run at it, but at this stage we're running out of troops that can run along that wing position. Big blow with Ellis down.

Sharpe doing well. Atkins will probably get a few games to prove he’s worth the contract he got (hopefully). Luko can move up the ground a bit if we need too as he played Wing early in the season, especially if Markov can come back soon. Anderson as well could be more on the wing if needed for rotations. But yes, looking a lot slower and softer without Ellis.

Aug 7, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Rams, 76's, Brewers
Agree, looks no where near his former self so if he is underdone and we aren’t making finals then why are we playing him
I spoke to a few from the club at training in Melb. They said he’s medically fine, it’s just getting confidence back. He relies so much on his shoulders to free his arms in tackles and his knee to stand up in those tackles. His centre bounce attendances are around 55% and not punishing him. More a confidence thing.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
I spoke to a few from the club at training in Melb. They said he’s medically fine, it’s just getting confidence back. He relies so much on his shoulders to free his arms in tackles and his knee to stand up in those tackles. His centre bounce attendances are around 55% and not punishing him. More a confidence thing.
Thanks for that

in my mind we are eroding his confidence further, send him to the 2s and let him dominate for a couple of weeks

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
The Dees have looked vulnerable lately. They drew with Hawthorn last night, lost to GWS a fortnight ago and lost to Collingwood four week ago. We've beaten all three of those clubs this year.

Melbourne's forward line isn't as tall the Bulldogs so we probably have an opportunity to omit Graham and bring in a smaller player like Markov who will give us more run off the halfback line and through the midfield which I felt we missed yesterday. I assume Collins will take McDonald and Ballard will take Brown. The rest of their forwards are under 190cms and can be covered by our smaller guys.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast

This would be a good outcome for us to play the Lions at the Gabba instead. Mr Bods would be a huge fan of us getting the opportunity to head up the M1 and potentially end Brisbane's top 4 hopes with a win on their home deck. I've watched Brisbane play live the last two weeks and they've looked completely bereft of any confidence in their structures out there at times, particularly in the Saints game. I think their struggling structurally to deal with their mounting injuries. No Hipwood, no Gardiner, no Rayner and it looks like McCarthy hurt his chest on Friday night as well. Even Andrews looked slow the other night against Richmond. They are struggling big time with injuries all over the ground.

I can't help but think back to the preseason matches we played against them this year with Daniher & Hipwood dominating in the first week when Collins was hurt and Bowes was required to play tall. Then the following week we brought Collins back in the first half and we smashed them before we took him off for the second half and they smashed us. Well, this time the shoe is on the other foot and they'll only have Daniher (and McStay) meanwhile we'll have Collins, Ballard, Lukosius and potentially Graham as well. Height won't be an issue this time around and if McCarthy misses then that's a huge blow for them in terms of small forwards because Charlie Cameron has been really struggling as of late but it's been masked by McCarthy stepping up. Their only forward that really concerns me is Zac Bailey because he's an x factor kind of player that can rip a game open on his own.

Side note - Touk v Zorko is going to be very fun to watch this time.

Jul 11, 2006
Chermside
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
See Below
Someone on FB Suns group is saying that apparently our home game next week will be vs Melbourne at Optus
Firstly - I wouldn't trust that group as far as I could throw them (Yes, I'm in that group but that's beside the point)
Secondly - No way WA lets us in, I was supposed to fly in on Saturday but I would have to quarantine when I got in so those flights have been sent to the bin.

RowellAnderson12

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 4, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Max Verstappen, Pacers, DR3
I probably prefer to play Brisbane this week. Down Adams & Hipwood might sneak the win here

Back