Review Round 19 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

.... Our biggest issue in the first half was our standard s**t ball use .....
I actually thought both teams played incredibly well in the conditions with regard to the skills shown. I mean at some point in the 2nd quarter (I think) Motlop went on a run and actually bounced the ball twice which was insane.

If the Bulldogs had kicked better it may not have worked. That last 10 minutes of the third quarter, where the ball was nearly continually in the Bulldogs 50 and the score went from 7.5 - 4.0 to 7.6 - 5.4 was a case in point. An Attempt to protect a lead which resulted in the ball never leaving their half. The result came with a helicoptered free to the top of the square where Schache pushed in front. We were just lucky that all they could kick were setshots as that was where they got all their goals.
Nicks spoke about ^ just now on radio, saying it was a drop off by our mids and that's why Ken got stuck into Ollie.
Your right i'm glad they didn't have their kicking boots on then BUT they'd put thru' 5 without a miss so evened out I reckon.
A pretty obvious stat that's flown under the radar a bit is the 2nd 1/2 where we went 7-8 (50pts) to 1-4 (10pts) so big tick.

Byrne-Jones's debut as part of the midfield mix
Interesting point have wondered what Darce has been up to lately kicking for goals and Nicks again said we were worried
about Johansen setting up plays for them. Get some goal kicking practice into DBJ and who knows maybe a new weapon.
Might be used in the showdown to check Milera's run and Laird's too.

Our cheer squad / TAC were bloody amazing! Bet they had to sing to keep warm in that weather!

Hoping we can play some clean and decently efficient footy for the weeks tk come, when we’ll be really tested
Who was the guy leading them in the cheering?

He is in the bay next to us at AO. Great to have him around.

Nicks spoke about ^ just now on radio, saying it was a drop off by our mids and that's why Ken got stuck into Ollie.
Your right i'm glad they didn't have their kicking boots on then BUT they'd put thru' 5 without a miss so evened out I reckon.
A pretty obvious stat that's flown under the radar a bit is the 2nd 1/2 where we went 7-8 (50pts) to 1-4 (10pts) so big tick.

Interesting point have wondered what Darce has been up to lately kicking for goals and Nicks again said we were worried
about Johansen setting up plays for them. Get some goal kicking practice into DBJ and who knows maybe a new weapon.
Might be used in the showdown to check Milera's run and Laird's too.

I dare say you might be right. Really like what he's done against Whitfield and Johansen. Should have scored a goal in each game too. Nothing wrong with a quick defensive forward who blankets the oppo playmaker and kicks a goal a game.

I wonder what Ken thinks Bonner is bringing to the table.

He is not getting enough kicks consistently off HB and his defensive skills are ordinary.

I do like him but I’m not sure where he is at and what his focus is from the coaches.

I haven't seen a replay and even though it happened right in front of me* - how did DBJ miss from the goal square?

That was an absolute gift from Chad to DBJ. No left foot and no clue at that moment, slight bunny in the spot light.

I think it was technically correct but **** me Trengove was facing in the opposite direction. Ebert was never going to impact that passage of play.

You think that was bad. I saw one where a Swans player was following a player out of the protected zone, stopped to see where they were for half a second and then took off again and was pinged because in that split second their opponent was too far away.
And the kicker was walking back to their mark for a kick at the goal square with no teammates near, there was no way they were going to play on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why? What exactly can't Frampton do. I keep hearing from our coaches including Scott Thompson before the Maggies last week, that he isnt quiet ready but cant describe why. They just make a statement. Its bulldust. There were plenty of back up ruckmen who could have been selected for a break in case of emergency situation in the DFA list, main draft, PSD and rookie draft. He only has to be on the list for 1 year..

We are robbing Peter to pay Paul to force Dixon, Howard and Westhoff to ruck for big chunks of games when we shoud be picking a proper ruck. Sure if an injury happens in a game you have to make changes but going in with the wrong mindset is wrong. Hayes was picked to play in 2019 which now wont happen before Rd 1 2020 with his ACL.

We wont win a flag if we keep excepting stupid excuses.
I can't say exactly why, I'm not the coaches.

Would assume he would get destroyed in the ruck, and offer little to nothing around the ground.

First quarter and a bit, stupidly we tried to play dry weather footy. Then adjusted, cut out a lot of the UFH's and played good solid simpler wet weather footy. And Charlie finally clunked a few in front of his head not over running the ball and leaning back and trying to mark.

Plenty of good contributors and great to see the back line didnt get sucked too far up the the ground with our press, so didnt let any easy out the back goals, we have let happen to often earlier this year and in 2016-17.

As frustrating as the first half was I really really enjoyed the final quarter. We finally looked like we had time and space and we playing football on our terms.

I’m almost cautiously optimistic that we are building to start storming home into the finals.

Just finished watching the first half. Difficult conditions against a weak opponent. We have dominated the game, but the weather, relatively good defense by the Dogs, their accuracy, and Motlop's nerves kept the score close.

Our offense and ball movement were good. With almost 30 players inside our F50, and conditions affecting long kicks to goal, it was hard for us finding scoring opportunities. 8 scores was decent; and 4.4, acceptable.

Bar few mistakes, we did what we were supposed to do. We played smart footy for a change; specially considering the circumstances.

Ebert surprised me positively. Watts' and Motlop's involvement were outstanding. Midfield was playing as if they were all on notice.

I liked our first half. It had been a while since the last time I did (probably, it was against Richmond – eight weeks ago).

Last edited:
I wonder what Ken thinks Bonner is bringing to the table.

He is not getting enough kicks consistently off HB and his defensive skills are ordinary.

I do like him but I’m not sure where he is at and what his focus is from the coaches.

Crying out for the weather to warm up and the ground to get firmer.

Just finished watching the first half. Difficult conditions against a weak opponent. We have dominated the game, but the weather, relatively good defense by the Dogs, their accuracy, and Motlop's nerves kept the score close.

Our offense and ball movement were good. With almost 30 players inside our F50, and conditions affecting long kicks to goal, it was hard for us finding scoring opportunities. 8 scores was decent; and 4.4, acceptable.

Bar few mistakes, we did what we were supposed to do. We played smart footy for a change; specially considering the circumstances.

Ebert surprised me positively. Watts' and Motlop's involvement were outstanding. Midfield was playing as if they were all on notice.

I liked our first half. It had been a while since the last time I did (probably, it was against Richmond – eight weeks ago).
I liked our second half better :D

The wrong place to mention it I guess but given the luxury of the win I'm happy that Jacko (theirs) had a good game. Definitely one of their best. Looked especially likely in the first half. Still hard to see him in an oppo guernsey
I was listening to the call on Triple M for the first half and when they said “Jackson Trengove kicks the goal” I fist pumped and said “Yes Ports lets go!” before quickly saying “oh wait s**t lol we have the other one now”

For a good part of the first half it appeared that players on both sides knew it would be difficult and they should play accordingly. But for a while they went too far as kicks off the ground abounded and continual packs appeared. Towards the end of the first half both sides realised that however bad the conditions were, it was still best to try to play something like football and hopefully beat the conditions instead of allowing them to fully dictate the game. The sight of Brian Taylor's umbrella turning inside out may have convinced some players that the conditions were close to impossible and it took nearly half of the game to find out they were not as bad as first thought and football(of a sort) could be played in them.

Ok. I've finished watching the second half. We have been complaining, for the entire season, Port never plays well four consecutive quarters, but, guess what, we have just done that. Best game by Port this year, and the score shows it — best percentage of the season.

We started Q3 with a bang and hold it until the wind turned hard against us. Then, we kept repealing the Dogs, mostly denying them any chance to goal. In Q4, we had the wind. Then, the difference in quality between the two sides were evident — we simply blew them over.

When Voss said in 3QT that we could play full defense, he was referring to the possibility of us losing the wind advantage to the Dogs: "the wind keeps changing direction." Otherwise, we were supposed to obliterate them, as we actually did.

I know he killed it this weekend, being a complete beast as our main target, but I sincerely like watching Dixon rucking in F50. We should do it more often. By the way, Dixon actually made some very smart "false-ruck" plays, where he taps the ball, instead of marking it, during the game. He is not bad at all at it.

Ebert miss after siren was a shame. Farrell almost scored from a bit further up the field some seconds earlier. We could have improved our percentage there!

Refreshing performance after our last two games. Hopefully, we can carry it on to the Showdown. The Crows will be desperate. We need to be smarter than ever to take advantage of that. We have played smart against Footscray, but we cannot take it for granted.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back