Review Round 19 vs Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Not even the chop out watching Dixon get back to his best today. I'd much rather see Westhoff or Howard give Paddy the spell and leave Dixon in the 50.

Special mention to Watts today to, thought his game opened it up for Dixon, and Watts showed the intent I didn't know he had. That's the standard for him going forward. I think that game may do him the world of good.

Bring on the the last month. If we make the top 4, we deserve and it will be well placed and hardened for what comes.

Watts is really good at drawing his opponent away from Charlie's territory. When he's playing, Charlie is rarely double-teamed.
Also interesting that when Charlie goals, Watts is usually first in to gee him up.
If Charlie's going to start holding his marks from now on, like he did after half time, we become a big chance for the big dance.

The wrong place to mention it I guess but given the luxury of the win I'm happy that Jacko (theirs) had a good game. Definitely one of their best. Looked especially likely in the first half. Still hard to see him in an oppo guernsey

Maybe I'm being a w***er but he annoyed me a bit with his celebrations. Not a big fan of players celebrating goals against their old club.

Midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen one of these posts, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces.

There were 18 bounces

Polec 15 wing
Wines 12
Ebert 10 (9i, 1w)
Wingard 9
R.Gray 9
SPP 8
Rockliff 7
Westhoff 6 wing
Pittard 6 wing
Byrne-Jones 5 wing
Motlop 3 wing

Rucks:
Ryder 13
Westhoff 5

Notes:
- 8 normal defenders played so one wing was predominantly taken by the extra flanker
- Byrne-Jones's debut as part of the midfield mix in analysed games
- Pittard's most appearances in analysed games. It was also his first midfield start in analysed games since Rd 23, 2016
- Robbie Gray's starts were almost entirely in the 2nd half

Maybe I'm being a w***er but he annoyed me a bit with his celebrations. Not a big fan of players celebrating goals against their old club.

Why not? We pushed him out so he has a point to prove, plus we know he's a fierce competitor and we know he loves us. Need only look back at when we played them at AO to know that.

Those celebrations were because he wants to win. I mean who wouldn't - especially against your mates!

yeah! Why didn’t we play ryder last week???

Why didn't we play Frampton?

Why don't we have a triple redundancy system where our dopey list managers and recruiters have enough ready to go ruckmen in our squad rather than she'll be right planning?

Can we have more of Eleni umpiring our games please. She deserves praise for her outstanding umpiring display today.

Totally agree!

although we should be awarded 8 points for winning any match Pannell umpires us in

Just finished watching game. Very happy with the win. Dix and Polec enormous. Amazing what can happen when Dix holds his position and plays with intent. Bont kept out of game which was great defensive work. Jonas and Ryder back makes a big difference.

Nice Ken went up to Trengove after game. Next week much tougher but its all about application.

Thought Clurey was excellent, one of his best games of the year. Hombsch was solid as a rock as well. Thought Lienert was poor early but worked into the game alright. Watts didn't do a lot but he had some brilliant moments. Stoked for Kane, what a way to slot your first goal! Good to see Dixon finally put a big performance together.

Was a good win. Onto the Crows!
Loved Clureys sheparding work and his smart tackling, always low. Three top handballs from Watts which created goals or chances. Played with much more intent today and always value for touches. I still think he can give more which would make him a really important player.

Last edited:
Midfield frequency stats for the match. If you haven't seen one of these posts, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at centre bounces.

There were 18 bounces

Polec 15 wing
Wines 12
Ebert 10 (9i, 1w)
Wingard 9
R.Gray 9
SPP 8
Rockliff 7
Westhoff 6 wing
Pittard 6 wing
Byrne-Jones 5 wing
Motlop 3 wing

Rucks:
Ryder 13
Westhoff 5

Notes:
- 8 normal defenders played so one wing was predominantly taken by the extra flanker
- Byrne-Jones's debut as part of the midfield mix in analysed games
- Pittard's most appearances in analysed games. It was also his first midfield start in analysed games since Rd 23, 2016
- Robbie Gray's starts were almost entirely in the 2nd half
Do you have the sheets with the data on .xls? If so, could you post them?

Great work!

Why don't we have a triple redundancy system where our dopey list managers and recruiters have enough ready to go ruckmen in our squad rather than she'll be right planning?
Frampton would be a liability.

As would other ruckmen that were available through the rookie draft etc. Agree we should’ve developed a decent back up by now though, Hayes going down with an ACL was unlucky! I reckon he may have been a chance to play.

I reckon if we had Jonas in the team Howard would’ve rucked more. But Dixon is usually our best option so we are a bit damned if we do damned if we don’t with him.. :(

Far out I’m looking forward to his end to the season though. Who could forget his final against West Coast!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should play Frampton when Ryder is playing. If Frampton is struggling, we have Ryder to play as main ruck. If Frampton isn't struggling, we have a 2-man ruck rotation.

Thought Clurey was excellent, one of his best games of the year. Hombsch was solid as a rock as well. Thought Lienert was poor early but worked into the game alright. Watts didn't do a lot but he had some brilliant moments. Stoked for Kane, what a way to slot your first goal! Good to see Dixon finally put a big performance together.

Was a good win. Onto the Crows!

Clurey has had a excellent few weeks

Great win by the lads.

Similar to the second half of last year, Dixon showing that he can be the most dominant big man in the league if he wants it.

I thought Boakies game was really solid, having his best year since 2014.

Leinert is best 22.

Wingard seems to be enjoying the game again and did some great defensive work.

Polec is in AA and career best form. He is worth every cent of 700k.

Loved the fact that Ken went up to Jacko after the game.

Really sick of us doing our absolute best to try to not lose matches, instead of trying to win them. Sure it seems to work for us more often than not but it’s ugly to watch

We should play Frampton when Ryder is playing. If Frampton is struggling, we have Ryder to play as main ruck. If Frampton isn't struggling, we have a 2-man ruck rotation.

Not many teams (if any) carry two recognised ruckman. If Frampton is struggling, we are effectively a man down as he can't really be used anywhere else on the ground.

Really sick of us doing our absolute best to try to not lose matches, instead of trying to win them. Sure it seems to work for us more often than not but it’s ugly to watch
If the Bulldogs had kicked better it may not have worked. That last 10 minutes of the third quarter, where the ball was nearly continually in the Bulldogs 50 and the score went from 7.5 - 4.0 to 7.6 - 5.4 was a case in point. An Attempt to protect a lead which resulted in the ball never leaving their half. The result came with a helicoptered free to the top of the square where Schache pushed in front. We were just lucky that all they could kick were setshots as that was where they got all their goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back