Review Round 19 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t care how s**t of form Dixon is in, you play him. A big power forward like him to crash packs and bring the ball to ground and to stop Haynes from continuous intercept marks is what would’ve got us over the line last night.

Having him in the side improves our forward structure. Sure he’s not marking them and kicking backs but he fixes our structure just a little bit. Having a little bit of structure is so much better than having none at all.

Another week with a strong side on the park and good effort from the players and still manage to lose.

Surely the 3 requirements talent, effort and system between them 1 is lacking.

My conclusion after watching that game is that both Port and GWS need a new coach ASAP if they are to realise their potential.
Surely it has reached some sort of tipping point. There has got to be some better coaches that aren’t all ex afl players.

I have seen far better ammos coaches than what are drawing the big bucks in the afl.

I know he will be gone soon but I hope we don’t just fall for the charismatic salesman again (I don’t think he has charisma but maybe he comes across as a good person and they find it hard to be ruthless to the nice guy)

I don’t care how s**t of form Dixon is in, you play him. A big power forward like him to crash packs and bring the ball to ground and to stop Haynes from continuous intercept marks is what would’ve got us over the line last night.

Having him in the side improves our forward structure. Sure he’s not marking them and kicking backs but he fixes our structure just a little bit. Having a little bit of structure is so much better than having none at all.
Yep, I agree

It's a 1 point loss that didn't feel like a 1 point loss. At 3 qtr time I posted that I couldn't see us gaining and maintaining the lead. We didn't even get the lead. This team is structured for grinding to a loss, not smashing through for a win.

The guy behind me told me during the 2nd quarter, the radio call said that a GWS key defender went off but didn't catch the name.

I look at who it might be and look at their back lines and see Davis - 197cm/96kgs, Haynes 193cm/90kgs, Keeffe 204/102 and I say I don't know who it is. Click on the app at half time and see it looks like Taylor - who I have no idea who he is and see 20 year old 25 gamer 196/87 kgs - so there is 4 big/tall defenders.

Then I look at rest of list playing 2 giants in ruck in Simpson 210/109 and Mumford 197/105

Up forward Cameron 196/96, Tomilinson 194/96, Himmleberg 194/92, Finlayson 196/92.

Their midfield is made up with 3 187cm players Taranto, Hopper and Whitfield

They are ******* Giants indeed. Yep we play shrimps everywhere to try and combat them.

This footy wire graphic sums it up.

Surely it has reached some sort of tipping point. There has got to be some better coaches that aren’t all ex afl players.

I have seen far better ammos coaches than what are drawing the big bucks in the afl.

I know he will be gone soon but I hope we don’t just fall for the charismatic salesman again (I don’t think he has charisma but maybe he comes across as a good person and they find it hard to be ruthless to the nice guy)
Yes, and the thing I am also concerned about is the judgement of KT, Koch and the board.

Watching the game last night reminded me that, in 2012, we might have had Cameron instead of Hinkley. And I think that would have been a poor choice as well.

While it's true you can't really know in advance who will be a good choice and who won't, you can still examine the track record and question the judgement of those making the choices.

Wasn't KT in 2012 planning to extend Primus before the GWS game? Then he pursued Cameron and Hinkley but left Simpson on the shelf? Then the unwarranted extension at the end of 2017. This looks to me like a pattern of poor judgement, so if Hinkley goes in the next few weeks how confident can we be about the process to select the next coach?

Name a player that we have recruited in the last 7 years that went on to be a better player at Port than the club they left. Polec and?????????
Add to that our draftees seem to peak in their 2nd year. We are a wasteland for AFL talent

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Matt White was handy before his body failed him.

Monfries had a few solid years before his body failed him.

Hombsch developed into a nice player before his body failed him.

Great, so we gave up a first and second round pick for one season of Ryder

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If it’s any consolation I don’t think those picks have materialized into much (unless one is Parish).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just saw the non-behind call. That was terrible umpiring. You were robbed.
Yeah it was a terrible call and cost us a goal. But we did our own robbing. In Portspeak "win" and "lose by a non-threatening margin" are synonymous.

Not prepared to let anyone off the hook for yesterday's mess by blaming the umpires.

Tom rockliffe's 2 year afl rating is equal to Karl amon's 2 year average rating?

Holy smoke... he's been THAT bad?
Rockliff had a poor year last year. Was injured thru the preseason and wasn't fit enough when we picked him in rd 1. Rd's 1-4 he polled 1 vote out of a possible 100 coaches votes in those first 4 games. Then was rested for a couple of games with injury then played a couple in the SANFL. The last 7 games he played poorly in the first 6 and was injured in the 7th. Polled 19 out of a possible 150 coaches votes in those 6 games.

Rockliff had a poor year last year. Was injured thru the preseason and wasn't fit enough when we picked him in rd 1. Rd's 1-4 he polled 1 vote out of a possible 100 coaches votes in those first 4 games. Then was rested for a couple of games with injury then played a couple in the SANFL. The last 7 games he played poorly in the first 6 and was injured in the 7th. Polled 19 out of a possible 150 coaches votes in those 6 games.
In other words, he's been a complete waste of space

Another example, going back to the days of Stephen salopek, that if a club pays a high draft pick or big salary for a player, they play them, prematurely, and to the detriment of themselves and the team

Ditto Dixon, motlop, rockliff

In other words, he's been a complete waste of space

Another example, going back to the days of Stephen salopek, that if a club pays a high draft pick or big salary for a player, they play them, prematurely, and to the detriment of themselves and the team

Ditto Dixon, motlop, rockliff
Last year yes. This year he has been a good contributor.

This looks to me like a pattern of poor judgement, so if Hinkley goes in the next few weeks how confident can we be about the process to select the next coach?

It is unequivocally a pattern of poor judgement and it is why after we have finally fired Hinkley (who is without doubt an illiterate incompetent buffoon), we need to also find a way of extricating both KT and Koch out of the club. The heat must stay on this pair of born and proven losers who've achieved nothing but failure and bad decisions in their time here, and whose manifold incompetencies got us mired in this mess in the first place. I have no sympathy or warm feeling toward either of them, they have massively shat the bed multiple times and are now wallowing in their own faeces wondering why everything smells.

Somehow, somehow we must find a way to get the next coaching appointment right, and not allow KT/Koch to go with the 'safe' option of Bassett or the 'media' option of Voss. It will spell absolute disaster and we are just about at breaking point for how much more failure this club can withstand.

Nevermind the Hinkley sideshow, my eyes are now fixed firmly and squarely on David Koch and Keith Thomas. Can they locate their missing balls and find a way to make the first good, ruthless decision since they first arrived at Port? Or are they going to find a way to * it all up again? Time will tell I guess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back