Preview Round 2 – West Coast vs GWS Giants, Saturday 30th March 2019, Optus Stadium, 8.10pm EDT

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Dylan who?

And no wonder Smith referred to Giants Stadium as a graveyard. He must have had a premonition.

What a delightful way to spend a very muggy Sunday afternoon. I don’t think anyone in that non-derby record crowd saw it coming, especially the Bombers and their Melbourne media mates.

Now we pack our bags and head across the Nullarbor to face the Eagles at their flashy new home. The toughest road trip in the AFL, or so they say.

I’ve always thought that claim was a bit over-stated. The Eagles and the Dockers go back and forth every other week, and it never seems to trouble them, or stop them getting to and winning grand finals. The “toughest road trip” seems to bother people from the East much more than in the West.

The key to winning on Saturday will be mental preparation. The Eagles will be under immense pressure to perform in front of their home crowd after getting pantsed by the Lions in Brisbane, and while some of that might have been due to limited preparation and a premiership hangover, they’ll certainly be back on the wagon, more than keen to unveil their flag at home with a win.

It remains to be seen how our new look team performs for an extended period, but if today was any indication, Tim Taranto looks right at home in the midfield, and performed above expectations. The pre-match fears about our midfield were unfounded. We smashed them.

The only injury worries were Keeffe and Perryman. I think Keeffe will be OK - he's a big strong lad, but something tells me Perryman won’t be traveling to Perth. Nick Haynes is a chance to return, he will strengthen a back line that had an exceptional afternoon. I'm not sure about Josh Kelly. I suspect his problem is more chronic that the club is letting on.

It was a great effort against the Bombers guys, so enjoy the moment, and get yourselves ready. You'll have to bring your “A” game to win.

I think we can cause an upset. Go Giants!

Great preview. In the corrosponding game last year I think we were lucky to get away with the win considering how many shots on goal you guys had. I doubt you will be as inaccurate as that again. In saying that, we didnt have Darling and Kennedy for that game but we should have them this week (I dont think Toby Greene played either). Should be a cracking contest, I think we will win but dont expect the margin to go out further than three goals either side.

What a cracking game yesterday and now the attention moves on to a huge game against West Coast at Optus Oval

I could see Haynes coming in for Keefe, depending on how he pulls up in the next 2 days. Would be a required player to assist with the West Coast tall's but dont think he will be 100% this week where as Haynes played out the NEAFL game.

Kelly will be interesting one, cant recall seeing him on the sidelines prior to the game or after, thing he will be back for Tigers

The only injury worries were Keeffe and Perryman. I think Keeffe will be OK - he's a big strong lad, but something tells me Perryman won’t be traveling to Perth. Nick Haynes is a chance to return, he will strengthen a back line that had an exceptional afternoon. I'm not sure about Josh Kelly. I suspect his problem is more chronic that the club is letting on.
Williams hobbled off at one point but returned to the field, and Whitfield copped a really late knock. Hopefully both are fine.

Shaw Davis Kennedy
Williams Taylor Finlayson
Whitfield Coniglio Kelly
Greene Cameron Deledio
De Boer HH Daniels
Simpson Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson Keeffe Lloyd Reid

It will be another nervous build up to this game for me, and I am not taking too much out of the win apart from the Bombers were awful and I cant believe the kms run by the 22 for them and with such an easy run first up I feel it takes away the 6 day break and with the Eagles travelling back from Brisbane the travel factor is slightly more even IMO

I can only see enforced changes this week and my team for the week at this stage wouldnt have Keefe or Perryman in and I think they both looked reasonably serious it will be interesting to see the approach they take with Keefe and if they decide on surgery or rest is the best option based on the severity. One thing I have noticed with most selected players is generally they are able spend time in at least 2 parts of the ground and they will be rotated through. TOJ I saw in the forward 50 a couple of times and also Shaw I think had a couple of shots on goal or a pass from inside 50 as well as a shot

Haynes getting through the reserves run yesterday would have him in the picture and then the other 3 possibilities would be Kelly, Bonar and Cumming.

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Coniglio Bonar
Greene Cameron Deledio
De Boer HH Daniels
Simpson Taranto Hopper

Tomlinson TOJ Lloyd Reid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always tough playing against a team that has lost badly the previous week.
Especially against a team unfurling a Premiership Flag!

Always tough playing against a team that has lost badly the previous week.
Especially against a team unfurling a Premiership Flag!
They will be emotional and the crowd will be hostile. I think the first quarter will be match defining (even the first 10 minutes)

Brisbane ran all over them in the midfield last week. I think we are much better than them in this area of the ground. If our midfield stands up and we quiet the crowd in the first quarter- we could maybe pocket one of the biggest wins on the road you can get!

After listening to LC's presser from today he does talk about Greene being sore from the game and if he has the ability to play of a 6 day break this early in the season. so from this my team would be

Shaw Davis Haynes
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Taranto Tomlinson
MDB Cameron Bonar
Daniels HH Lloyd
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio TOJ Reid Kelly

Emergencies:Cumming Buntine Flynn Hately
Kelly seems likely and he can spend more time forward and on a wing than around the ball
Keefe I dont think they will take a risk with and see how he is the week after
I hope Bonar gets a call up as I think he is important to the teams hopes this year and I think Hately will get more benefit from another run with the reserves than spending the time travelling to perth and back although it would be a learning experience for him with the big away trip and how the players deal with game day preperation

Yep this will be tough. And OF COURSE Kennedy just miraculously is much better this week, so David will have to be on his toes.

The only better news for us is that rioli won't play but Liam Ryan may cause us some issues.

The key here I'll tell you is to keep the crowd out of it. They are unfurling that new flag of theirs so it will be a 60k sellout. If they get off to a 3 goal head start our boys won't be able to hear each other's calls

I dare say the message will be to go as fast and hard at the start as possible.

Knocking of West coast at Optus has only ever been done once i think. No reason why not again

Go giants

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back