Review Round 2, 2016: Williamstown v Box Hill Hawks, 17 April 2016, 11.40am @ Burbank Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Definatly some pressure on the senior list from Lovell & JOR!
Pitt is closer than I thought.
Stewart has something about him that screams long term & leadership... Time will tell
Burton has everything to make him scary good!

Lovell and Hardwick surely must play some senior games this year. I liked the way Brand went about his game. Took a few good marks, botched a kick across the face of goal in the first qrt which led to a willy goal but the kid has a future in our backline.

Great win, they ran out the game superb, some of these kids a screaming for senior selection, they have energy and enthusiasm and skill to match.

Indeed the future looks bright.

Very low key celebration from Burton following his goal. Had every reason to get into it too.

1. Big goal in the context of the game.
2. His first goal in the VFL
3. His first competition goal since returning from his knee
4. Just a bloody impressive goal from a difficult spot in trying conditions.

It was like he considered it a pretty pedestrian goal. Can't wait to see what ones get him really pumped up.

Box Hill were playing Williamstown at their home ground. They were without O'Brien, Sicily and Grimley (three of last years main forward options). They were overrun by a fast paced Williamstown in the second quarter with a massive breeze looming (in Williamstown's favour) in the third. It would have been easy to lay down and not try: but the young Box Hill boys just kept trying and trying in a performance that makes me excited for both Box Hill and Hawthorn's future.

Here are how the players went (and boy is it exciting):

Kieran Lovell: Kicked 5 goals and was the standout. Without having the direct stats, he probably had 18-20 disposals and a handful of tackles to go with it. Is very evasive despite his small stature and has a signature sidestep to avoid tackles that seriously reminds me of Mitchell. Torched the ball with his disposal a little early on but rectified it quickly. Very consistent game and B.O.G for mine.

Blake Hardwick: Played half back at the beginning and managed to shut down Anasatsio (a player who tore Box Hill apart in the 2015 GF) who had only 3 possessions to his name by half time. When Heatherley was concussed we moved Hardwick into the midfield/half forward and he provided a real spark. Kicked a fantastic goal and was constantly tackling and putting on massive hits. Got pinned a few times but he'll learn.

Ryan Burton: Very dangerous in the first quarter with a clean pair of hands. Faded in the second (it was rarely up forward in the second though) and was moved to the backline when Heatherley was concussed. Was serviceable down back: didn't get beaten in the one on ones and took the game on with some real exciting, fast-paced runs that you don't really see in tall players. Took a great mark and kicked a crucial goal in the fourth that was 45 metres out on the boundary with a swirling wind. That goal swung momentum after Box Hill missed so many gettable goals.

Jonathan O'Rourke: Was OK in the first half but nothing too special. He seriously lifted in the second half and was the catalyst out of the middle. Was constantly getting the ball at the contests and distributing it to a teammate cleanly while generating run, finishing with 25 disposals. It's not only that though, as deft blocks and shepards for the ball carrier are usually overlooked and O'Rourke was doing plenty of those. Had Lovell not kicked 5 O'Rourke would have been B.O.G.

Kade Stewart: For a small player this bloke tackles like a truck. Massive hits and was the only midfielder in the second quarter that could hold his head high. His disposal is near elite and really caught my eye with a lace out pass to a teammate 50 metre out. Got a nice goal for his efforts. Faded somewhat in the second half but that can be attributed to everyone else lifting.

Kaiden Brand: Got a real look at him today because he played on Ayce Cordy who is a genuine aerialist. And I must say I'm impressed. Brand reads the ball well in the air and goes for his contested marks, taking some really important ones throughout the match. He's also deceptively agile for a big man and can run it out of defence just as well as any midfielder. Good disposal apart from one blunder that led to a Willy goal. The only times he ever got genuinely beaten by Cordy were lace out passes that only the most exceptional of defenders can block.

Marc Pittonet: Neese is a very good ruckman and apart from fading in the second quarter Pittonet matched him all day. Shouldered 80% of the rucking duties and when he tackled it was like a giant oak falling on a scared squirrel. Contrary to the typical Hawthorn ruckman he also wins the hit outs. Needs to add a better forward option to his game but his development has been outstanding.

Dallas Willsmore: Leading Box Hill disposal getter at 28 to accompany his goal and was on fire in the first quarter. Box Hill directly give the ball to him at half back to use his elite kicking skills to set up attack. Doesn't find a lot of the ball on his own merit but is deadly when he gets it into his hands, akin to a Suckling type. I thought he was a wingman but he seems to lack the raw speed accompanying that role. When he went quiet in the second quarter (1 disposal) the whole team seemed to buckle somewhat.

Teia Miles: Was one of the quieter players out there today but a very solid contributer regardless. Has a very nice burst of speed and good disposal that offset his small frame. Kicked a crucial goal in the fourth quarter when the game was on the line. I don't think the selectors have decided whether he's more valuable as a small defender or a small forward.

Jermaine Miller-Lewis: This guy has come from obscurity. His run off half back today was very impressive as were his tackling efforts. Probably prevented three clean forward entries thanks to his genuine speed. Reminds me of Wanganeen which is a great sign this early in his development. Unfortunately he carries the same problem that Wanganeen did in that his disposal can sometimes be fantastic or sometimes be horrific. That can be worked on though, and 75% of his disposal (estimate here) was good today. Very encouraging signs.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Likes to take a mark and covers the ground well. Almost kicked a ripper of a goal in the first but the wind took it left. However, his work in the hitouts leaves much to be desired and Pittonet is probably the better ruckman which is not good considering the age differential. Fitzpatrick has better knowledge of how to provide a forward option though, and while he didn't convert today he did get his chances.

Brendan Whitecross: It wasn't a bad game from Whitecross either, but he was eclipsed by the younger players who tackled harder and ran faster. Kicked a mongrel torpedo from the boundary that miraculously sailed through for a goal in the second and was pretty good with his disposal, but didn't have a genuine impact otherwise and struggled to stand up. Lacks the leg speed as a result of his knee reconstruction and it shows. He'll find himself behind the likes of O'Rourke, Hardwick, Lovell and maybe even Stewart based on today's performance which is disheartening for the poor bloke. Box Hill value his on-field leadership though.

Kurt Heatherley: Has a Lake-Gibson dynamic going on with Brand where he peels off his man to assist. Has a great pair of hands overhead coupled with a booming kick and a preference to go for a run with ball in hand. Misjudged the drop of the ball occasionally which led to Williamstown getting the ball out the back and needs to work on that. Kicked an absolutely monsterous goal from 55-60 metres out in the second quarter after selling some candy, but then came off and didn't take the field again. It's been reported that it was a concussion which is unfortunate.

You think I'm looking at this through rose-coloured glasses but I'm not. Apart from some errant disposal typical to the VFL level, almost every Hawthorn listed player had a great side to their game today when excluding the second quarter where everyone (minus Stewart) seemed slow and uninterested. These are very good signs for the future of Hawthorn (2015 draft especially looking like a ripper) and with Spangher and Webster to come back for Box Hill good signs for them was well.

Was fun to watch the game. Can't tell anything from the radio broadcasts which prefer stupid and pointless conversations about anything that doesn't involve casting the game.

Last edited:
Box Hill were playing Williamstown at their home ground. They were without O'Brien, Sicily and Grimley (three of last years main forward options). They were overrun by a fast paced Williamstown in the second quarter with a massive breeze looming (in Williamstown's favour) in the third. It would have been easy to lay down and not try: but the young Box Hill boys just kept trying and trying in a performance that makes me excited for both Box Hill and Hawthorn's future.

Kieran Lovell: Kicked 5 goals and was the standout. Without having the direct stats, he probably had 18-20 disposals and a handful of tackles to go with it. Is very evasive despite his small stature and has a signature sidestep to avoid tackles that seriously reminds me of Mitchell. Torched the ball with his disposal a little early on but rectified it quickly. Very consistent game and B.O.G for mine.

Blake Hardwick: Played half back at the beginning and managed to shut down Anasatsio (a player who tore Box Hill apart in the 2015 GF) who had only 3 possessions to his name by half time. When Heatherley was concussed we moved Hardwick into the midfield/half forward and he provided a real spark. Kicked a fantastic goal and was constantly tackling and putting on massive hits. Got pinned a few times but he'll learn.

Ryan Burton: Very dangerous in the first quarter with a clean pair of hands. Faded in the second (it was rarely up forward in the second though) and was moved to the backline when Heatherley was concussed. Was serviceable down back: didn't get beaten in the one on ones and took the game on with some real exciting, fast-paced runs that you don't really see in tall players. Took a great mark and kicked a crucial goal in the fourth that was 45 metres out on the boundary with a swirling wind. That goal swung momentum after Box Hill missed so many gettable goals.

Jonathan O'Rourke: Was OK in the first half but nothing too special. He seriously lifted in the second half and was the catalyst out of the middle. Was constantly getting the ball at the contests and distributing it to a teammate cleanly while generating run, finishing with 25 disposals. It's not only that though, as deft blocks and shepards for the ball carrier are usually overlooked and O'Rourke was doing plenty of those. Had Lovell not kicked 5 O'Rourke would have been B.O.G.

Kade Stewart: For a small player this bloke tackles like a truck. Massive hits and was the only midfielder in the second quarter that could hold his head high. His disposal is near elite and really caught my eye with a lace out pass to a teammate 50 metre out. Got a nice goal for his efforts. Faded somewhat in the second half but that can be attributed to everyone else lifting.

Kaiden Brand: Got a real look at him today because he played on Ayce Cordy who is a genuine aerialist. And I must say I'm impressed. Brand reads the ball well in the air and goes for his contested marks, taking some really important ones throughout the match. He's also deceptively agile for a big man and can run it out of defence just as well as any midfielder. Good disposal apart from one blunder that led to a Willy goal. The only times he ever got genuinely beaten by Cordy were lace out passes that only the most exceptional of defenders can block.

Marc Pittonet: Neese is a very good ruckman and apart from fading in the second quarter Pittonet matched him all day. Shouldered 80% of the rucking duties and when he tackled it was like a giant oak falling on a scared squirrel. Contrary to the typical Hawthorn ruckman he also wins the hit outs. Needs to add a better forward option to his game but his development has been outstanding.

Dallas Willsmore: Leading Box Hill disposal getter at 28 to accompany his goal and was on fire in the first quarter. Box Hill directly give the ball to him at half back to use his elite kicking skills to set up attack. Doesn't find a lot of the ball on his own merit but is deadly when he gets it into his hands, akin to a Suckling type. I thought he was a wingman but he seems to lack the raw speed accompanying that role. When he went quiet in the second quarter (1 disposal) the whole team seemed to buckle somewhat.

Teia Miles: Was one of the quieter players out there today but a very solid contributer regardless. Has a very nice burst of speed and good disposal that offset his small frame. Kicked a crucial goal in the fourth quarter when the game was on the line. I don't think the selectors have decided whether he's more valuable as a small defender or a small forward.

Jermaine Miller-Lewis: This guy has come from obscurity. His run off half back today was very impressive as were his tackling efforts. Probably prevented three clean forward entries thanks to his genuine speed. Reminds me of Wanganeen which is a great sign this early in his development. Unfortunately he carries the same problem that Wanganeen did in that his disposal can sometimes be fantastic or sometimes be horrific. That can be worked on though, and 75% of his disposal (estimate here) was good today. Very encouraging signs.

Jack Fitzpatrick: Likes to take a mark and covers the ground well. Almost kicked a ripper of a goal in the first but the wind took it left. However, his work in the hitouts leaves much to be desired and Pittonet is probably the better ruckman which is not good considering the age differential. Fitzpatrick has better knowledge of how to provide a forward option though, and while he didn't convert today he did get his chances.

Brendan Whitecross: It wasn't a bad game from Whitecross either, but he was eclipsed by the younger players who tackled harder and ran faster. Kicked a mongrel torpedo from the boundary that miraculously sailed through for a goal in the second and was pretty good with his disposal, but didn't have a genuine impact otherwise and struggled to stand up. Lacks the leg speed as a result of his knee reconstruction and it shows. He'll find himself behind the likes of O'Rourke, Hardwick, Lovell and maybe even Stewart based on today's performance which is disheartening for the poor bloke. Box Hill value his on-field leadership though.

Kurt Heatherley: Has a Lake-Gibson dynamic going on with Brand where he peels off his man to assist. Has a great pair of hands overhead coupled with a booming kick and a preference to go for a run with ball in hand. Misjudged the drop of the ball occasionally which led to Williamstown getting the ball out the back and needs to work on that. Kicked an absolutely monsterous goal from 55-60 metres out in the second quarter after selling some candy, but then came off and didn't take the field again. It's been reported that it was a concussion which is unfortunate.

You think I'm looking at this through rose-coloured glasses but I'm not. Apart from some errant disposal typical to the VFL level, almost every Hawthorn listed player had a great side to their game today when excluding the second quarter where everyone (minus Stewart) seemed slow and uninterested. These are very good signs for the future of Hawthorn (2015 draft especially looking like a ripper) and with Spangher and Webster to come back for Box Hill good signs for them was well.

Was fun to watch the game. Can't tell anything from the radio broadcasts which prefer stupid and pointless conversations about anything that doesn't involve casting the game.
Great report. Cheers

Williamstowns best player was umpire number 10. Was so bias it was almost funny, no not really.

I thought the williamstwon ruckman was allowed to just run under the ball and jump straight into Pitto all day in the center and was only pinged once for blocking.

Hope the Hawks fan who couldn't find the bar found it, as that was the most important thing.

Cheers for that in depth analysis. Missed the first half and was fairly distracted watching the second half up until the last quarter.

Agree there's a lot to be excited about. We took a few risks in this latest draft gone by and so far it looks like they're paying off.

Lovell was a bit of a surprise pick but given the similarities to Mitchell and the way he's hit the ground running in preseason, NAB and now the VFL has me wondering how he didn't go earlier in the draft.

Burton was the riskiest pick but keep your fingers crossed because it seems to be working. Only looks like he's aerobic fitness and a couple months of backline/accountability lessons away from making his debut. The idea of this forward line gives me goosebumps...

HF: Burton Gunston Sicily
FF: Rioli Roughead Breust
Int: Puopolo

...and add in Hardwick at some point too. Talk about another hidden draft gem in the same vein as Puopolo, Duryea and Stratton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ZMSksTh.png

AhdPYQw.png

Great read mate, really appreciate it. Our future is certainly bright. You're right that each of the youngsters could bring something special to the seniors. Particuarly hope that Burton and Lovell become our next A grade mids.

I was at this game and seeing as it was televised I don't think my summary would be as comprehensive as those who watched on TV, but highlight of the day was being on TV a couple times.

It was a tough game and I was surprised that we were still holding on at 3qtr time because we really didn't deserve to. I am officially Kade Stewart's biggest fan. He is as skinny as spaghetti but my god he is a competitive beast ala Woodward and Jed Anderson. As I said from week 1 of pre-season box hill game, he is the typical Hawthorn mould. A fantastic kick, a good runner, a heavy tackler and just so determined that I would put him ahead of a few of the senior listed players at the moment.

Got nice and burnt today in mid April so that was fun, but great last quarter and onto Coburg next week.

Great wins by the Senior and Development Mustang Hawkers. I'm really excited about the prospect of watching our first year players Burton, Lovell, Hardwick and Stewart develop after such encouraging signs in their first two games. The performances of Brand has been very strong given he missed last year.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4
Williamstown
1.0-6 3.1-19 6.4-40 7.9-51
Box Hill Hawks 4.9-33 6.13-49 7.16-58 10.17-77

Williamstown
Goal Kickers: T. Curtis 2, A. Di Ciero, J. Dorgan, M. Norton, J. Greiser, L. Schultz
Best Players: B. Myers, J. Eales, L. Schultz, L. Carter, A. Carr, T. Curtis
Box Hill Hawks
Goal Kickers: J. Sullivan 2, J. Soccio 2, B. Mcintyre 2, B. Kilpatrick, L. Cox, X. Dimasi, J. Summers
Best Players: S. Gibson, A. Kennedy, J. Walker, S. Switkowski, L. Langford, M. Traynor

.........You think I'm looking at this through rose-coloured glasses but I'm not. Apart from some errant disposal typical to the VFL level, almost every Hawthorn listed player had a great side to their game today when excluding the second quarter where everyone (minus Stewart) seemed slow and uninterested. These are very good signs for the future of Hawthorn (2015 draft especially looking like a ripper) and with Spangher and Webster to come back for Box Hill good signs for them was well.

Was fun to watch the game...

Thanks for your thoughts. That was a very high quality game.

Brand is doing everything right. Hope he can come up against some decent competition or they just bite the bullet and start putting AFL games into him. Definitely got AFL skills and composure.

It was good Lovell snagged a few goals, would have liked him to win a few more clearances and being a bit more active around the stoppages.

Fitzpatrick is a tantalising prospect. He gets his paws to a heap of marking contests and rarely if ever gets outmarked, he gets it or no one does. His ruckwork is garbage, if he can get a clue there may be some hope with him.

Great work BHH. Again, interested to see WX in the best despite the viewers summaries. Boosting his trade value? Hopefully not - would love to see him back and burning it up for hawthorn.
He helps set the team up, took some really good intercept marks around the ground used it pretty well today, good steady hand was involved in a few if our scores in the fourth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back