Review Round 2, 2017: Box Hill Hawks v Coburg Lions, 22 April 2017, 2.00pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Boy oh boy! Wowee!

I was going to head down to watch too... Damn

Fantastic to hear lots of good performances

Whitecross very impressive, tons of quality ball use and you'd think he was the captain with his voice out on the ground and in the huddles.

Duryea got better the longer the game went. Too good for this level, can he step it up though?

Harry Morrison very good. In everything across half back. Very assured.

Pittonet best game I've seen from him. Rucked well, linked up repeatedly, kicked well, smashed some blokes with some truly vicious tackles, and even took a couple of contested marks.

They are the HFC blokes that stood out to me, and Fitzy obviously. He finds a way to kick some amazing goals for someone who looks so unco.

David Mirra is a bloody superstar VFL player. Never beaten.

Round 2 vs Coburg

Duryea:
Had a solid game in defense. But his decision making won't be getting him a call up anytime soon. Defends very well one on one but he still can't hit a target.

Whitecross: Played across half back and at times in the midfield and had a very good game. He may lack leg speed but his decision making more then makes up for it.

O'Rourke: Another good day at the office. Started the game well and was one of the reasons Box Hill dominated the opening quarter with his hard work in the midfield. He's getting closer to earning a spot in the senior team.

Willsmore: Won plenty of ball and sent it inside Box Hill's 50 a lot. He was one of the best today. He isn't too far off making his AFL debut.

Schoenmakers: Didn't have a great game up forward with Fitzpatrick and Vickery being the main targets he struggled up ans then was moved into the back-line during the second half and did okay.

Vickery: Was easily Box Hill's best forward in the opening quarter. Competed very well and provided plenty of leads. Took a lot marks and had a solid game overall.

Fitzpatrick: For the second week in a row he was the best Hawthorn listed player. He was everywhere. In the ruck, marking the ball up forward and even drifted into the defensive 50 at times. It's his second and third efforts that are exceptional for a big man and knows how to tackle too. Kicked a couple of nice goals at ground level highlighting his athleticism finishing with 5 goals. I'd love to see him in the senior team soon. He's consistent.

Morrison: In his second game he was impressive across half back again. Good composure when he has the ball and rarely panics and provides some run coming out of defense.

Surman: Played at full back he was good again. Reads the high ball very well and is good in one on one marking duals. There's a lot to like about him. Will only get better from here.

Lewis: He played much better then his first game. Provided plenty of good leads and took a couple of nice contested marks playing as the third tall forward finishing the game with 2 goals.

Stewart: Not as dominant or influential as last weeks game as he was well held for most of the afternoon. He still went in hard at the footy when it was his turn to go. In 2-3 years time he's going to be a very good footballer.

Miles: Wasn't a standout game and he wasn't the worst either. He played okay in defense with some stints up the ground.

Pittonet: He dominant in the ruck from the get go. Won a lot of hit-outs in the center square which contributed to Box Hill's dominance in the first quarter and got his hands on the footy a fair bit. One of the best tacklers out there today. If there's one weakness in his game it's his inability to take marks around the ground.

Glass: Not as good as last week but still played a good game with his run out of defense. Even when he's under pressure he knows how to kick the footy and hit a target. Take note Duryea.

Nash: I like this kid. Nice size and speed for a key defender. Played at center half back and marked well and kicks well too. Looking forward to seeing his progress throughout the year. He's an exciting prospect.

Cousins: Another solid game. He doesn't play like a rookie. He was tough around the contests and in tight won a fair bit of the ball during the first half. He and O'Rourke seem to work well in together. It's only a matter of time now before he's upgraded from the rookie list.

Last edited:
Do these count as stats?

Best Players: J. Fitzpatrick, M. Pittonet, B. Whitecross, T. Miles, D. Mirra, R. Schoenmakers
Not really.

And when I asked the BoxHill twitter account they said they had some issues today and don't have any.

:thumbsdown:

Just come from the match. Good to see a win.

Very impressive first quarter from the boys. Pittonet was outstanding in the first. Was also very impressed with Glass and the big forwards Fitzy and Vickery were excellent.

We chased some tail in the second quarter. We were the better side in the second half.

Fair to say Coburg butchered the ball a fair bit but our pressure was great.

Whitecross IMO was our best mid , ball use was outstanding and extremely vocal.

Mirra was a great four quarter performer.

Taylor Duryea was slow to start but did some good things in the last.

Mitchell Lewis and Surman have some good size about them, as does Nash - he is extremely athletic the young Irishman.

Morrison showed a bit too off the back line.

Fitzpatrick was BOG for mine great hands with a few contested marks and five goals.

O'Rourke was in and under and got through unscathed, as did Stewart.

Really pleased with what I saw. Box Hill 2-0 :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If box hill get to keep most of fitzy vickerey schoey pittoney for the season they'll do well

Vickerey and schoey are 100 gamers like whitex. Any sign of leadership from them too?

May 14 v Richmond should be good

Last edited:
Thanks to all the regulars who get to the games and gives us a good rundown.

Just a question for anyone who gets to the games, what are Cousins & Morrison's leg speed like? Is there any current AFL players that you could compare them too in the way they go about it?

An interesting game and a good win. Basically blew them off the park in the first quarter, Coburg had the better of the second quarter, and the last half was pretty even.
I thought Whitecross, Fitzpatrick and Mirra were very good, Pittonet solid but obviously missed Miles and Schoenmakers contributions which elevated them to best player status.
Of the younger players Morrison and Cousins look as if they may become solid AFL players eventually.
I never try to draw conclusions from one game other than to say it will be interesting to watch Box Hill this year.
Now for the Hawks/ West Coast clash at the MCG tomorrow.

Now that the dust has settled, I'm not sure what to make of that match. Box Hill were so dominant in the first quarter yet in the following three quarters the teams were more or less even, at least in terms of scores. The game was won in the first quarter; is this testament to Box Hill's superiority or an indictment on Coburg? Well we will see I suppose over the coming weeks. First chance I have had to see some of the youngsters that others have been talking about such as Cousins and Connor Glass who were both quite good I thought. No doubt Fitzpatrick and Vickery were amongst the best so hopefully their form continues, we could use both of them at Hawthorn if they are in this kind of form. Pittonet seems to have improved a fair bit, he had a very good game IMO. Thought Whitecross was very good, always gives 110%. From the Box Hill players Mirra was good (what's new!) and newcomer Adducci was very good in the last quarter. Surprised to see Schoey listed in the best players. I thought he was just ok, did a few good things but made some mistakes too. Hard to find any bad players in such a comprehensive win.

Other observations. We seen to have moved our bench to the one closer to the Box Hill rooms. Have Coburg changed their colours a bit? The blue looked a bit lighter to me. I thought the crowd was a bit disappointing considering it was such a nice day and it was our first home game. Also there was a trophy for today's match as these two teams traditionally play for the ANZAC Cup, was great to see Chris Newman with his first piece of silverware as Box Hill coach, may there be more to come :D

Last edited:
Was a lovely day to be at the footy, my daughter got a high five from man of the match Fitz so she was pretty chuffed

A few random thoughts from the match

Pitto went hard in the tackle with a smile, very much like a certain GWS ruck does

Having a pretty much full list to choose from means box hill have a lot of quality tall to use, a far cry from last year

Love the way Mirra goes about it, we're lucky to have him

Nash is a very exciting young KP prospect

Surman in defence looks really good.

Schoey seems more useful down back for box hill than up forward at the moment, still when your forward line has TV, Fitz and Lewis in it, from those Schoey is the one to send back

First time I saw cousins and Morrison live and I saw enough to like.

Dallas must be close to a debut

Doc was scratchy

My four year old wants to play footy and is excited that there is a Hawks girls team

Look i would like to get excited about today. I was when it was 11 goals to zip. However u can only play as well as the opposition lets u. Coburg arent going to be troubling many sides this year.

In saying that fitzy was great must be getting close to a senior debut. O'Rourke wasnt as good as last week. Whitey was great in the first and last qtr with a few touches in between. Impressed by pittonet today was much more physical in the contest than i have ever seen from him before cousins and morrison had their moments

Next week we play Williamstown we will learn more then

Thanks to all the regulars who get to the games and gives us a good rundown.

Just a question for anyone who gets to the games, what are Cousins & Morrison's leg speed like? Is there any current AFL players that you could compare them too in the way they go about it?

Cousins is ok. Morrisons is a worry for mine for his size.

Look i would like to get excited about today. I was when it was 11 goals to zip. However u can only play as well as the opposition lets u. Coburg arent going to be troubling many sides this year.

In saying that fitzy was great must be getting close to a senior debut. O'Rourke wasnt as good as last week. Whitey was great in the first and last qtr with a few touches in between. Impressed by pittonet today was much more physical in the contest than i have ever seen from him before cousins and morrison had their moments

Next week we play Williamstown we will learn more then
Q1 showed the level Coburg is at, the rest of the game really smacked of a team going through the motions in general as the game was already over
At least I hope they were going through the motions ;)

In what way Roger?

Tend to agree. Morrison, Miles and Hanrahan all listed as circa 180 cm and low 70 kgs. Stewart is also listed at 180 cm and 67 kgs yet he looks and "plays" heavier than that.
I hope they all do well but guys that size need to be awfully good to succeed these days.

Tend to agree. Morrison, Miles and Hanrahan all listed as circa 180 cm and low 70 kgs. Stewart is also listed at 180 cm and 67 kgs yet he looks and "plays" heavier than that.
I hope they all do well but guys that size need to be awfully good to succeed these days.
Depends if you think they are that size or still growing.
I don't think 180 is too short if you can carry closed to 80

Remove this Banner Ad

Back