Discussion Round 2, 2018 (Easter Weekend) - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thursday, March 29
Adelaide v Richmond (AO) (N)

Friday, March 30
North Melbourne v St Kilda (ES)

Saturday, March 31
Carlton v Gold Coast (ES)
Collingwood v Greater Western Sydney (MCG) (T)
Brisbane v Melbourne (G) (N)
Fremantle v Essendon (OS) (N)

Sunday, April 1
Western Bulldogs v West Coast (ES)
Sydney v Port Adelaide (SCG) (T)

Monday, April 2
Geelong v Hawthorn (MCG)
________________________________________________________________________________
My predictions are below
Adelaide full home v. Richmond in clash + white shorts (Grand final rematch!)

North Melbourne in full royal v. St. Kilda in home with white shorts

Carlton full home v. Gold Coast in full red - eye catching!

Collingwood in full home v. GWS in clash/white shorts

Brisbane in home v. Melbourne in home with white shorts
Fremantle in full home v. Essendon in clash with white shorts <= (full purple v full red would've looked even more amazing )

Western Bulldogs in full royal v. Eagles in Peril with white shorts (looking forward to this!)
Sydney in full royal v. Port Adelaide in full home (and this!)

Geelong in home with white shorts v. Hawthorn in full home

Fremantle in Optus guernsey and north v saints most likely to include the good friday kick for kids logo

We haven't seen Brisbane play host to Melbourne since 2013, so I think this will be an interesting match-up jumper wise, particularly with Melbourne no longer having a white option. I don't believe the home or redback provide enough contrast, so we may see the bright royal get wheeled out for its first appearance.

Although it didn't get mentioned in the release article... would the home really provide the contrast to the maroon of Brisbane?

"Melbourne will wear its royal blue clash guernsey in away matches against the likes of Adelaide Crows, Carlton, Essendon, Fremantle, Port Adelaide and St Kilda.

The red back jumper will be worn in away matches against the West Coast Eagles and the Western Bulldogs."

The Dees wore their white clash away to Brisbane in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013. They wore their silver clash in 2008.

Prior to that, the last Brisbane home game vs Melb was in 1999 - the Lions sold 7 consecutive years of Gabba games to the Dees from 2001 to 2007.

In that time we saw:
2007 - Dees in home with white shorts, Brisbane in full home
2006, 2005 - Dees in full home, Brisbane in yellow with white shorts
2004, 2003, 2002, 2001 - Dees in full home, Brisbane in home with white shorts

Last edited:
akkaps do we need to specify if we think there will be a kick for the kids logo on the North/St Kilda jumpers?
Yes. Kick for Kids loo needs to mentioned. But you also need need to get the current kits.
Eg, Home (Kick for Kids)/ Royal instead of Kick for Kids / Royal.
Last week, with the Stkilda jumper, I didn’t worry about it at the design was not a typical jumper.

Brisbane in home v. Melbourne in home with white shorts

I’m not 100% sure about this. History says that Melbourne will be in their clash jumper, by their clash jumper is now royal, which clashes with Brisbane’s jumper. The red jumper doesn’t offer much different to their home jumper in this case.
Geelong in home with white shorts v. Hawthorn in full home
I would think the same here as well, but history suggests full brown. I would like to see Hawks in full home. They have worn full home a couple of times in this match up in the past couple of seasons, but they’ve also been one off jumpers (some premiership jumper, and the Hodge jumper).

We haven't seen Brisbane play host to Melbourne since 2013, so I think this will be an interesting match-up jumper wise, particularly with Melbourne no longer having a white option. I don't believe the home or redback provide enough contrast, so we may see the bright royal get wheeled out for its first appearance.

Although it didn't get mentioned in the release article... would the home really provide the contrast to the maroon of Brisbane?

The Dees wore their white clash away to Brisbane in 2009, 2010, 2012 and 2013. They wore their silver clash in 2008.

Prior to that, the last Brisbane home game vs Melb was in 1999 - the Lions sold 7 consecutive years of Gabba games to the Dees from 2001 to 2007.

In that time we saw:
2007 - Dees in home with white shorts, Brisbane in full home
2006, 2005 - Dees in full home, Brisbane in yellow with white shorts
2004, 2003, 2002, 2001 - Dees in full home, Brisbane in home with white shorts

Is there Bintang clash 100% gone? I have a feeling they'll whip it out (hope not!), rekon the royal is too clashy

FE55BA53-DADD-4C0F-803B-5C4E8B52FEE7.jpeg North are wearing the kicks for kids logo - same as last year but this year logo below the afl logo

Good Year is a very good get for a VFL team, but then again United Petroleum still sponsor the Collingwood VFL and never upped theirs to the main team. Usually it's local car dealerships or removalists or something.

Also has there ever been a logo below the AFL one? Looks odd, and it feels like they'd try and reserve that right hand side for their own space. Obviously themed rounds, Grand Finals, stuff like Dreamtime at the 'G or Heritage Round are different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good Year is a very good get for a VFL team, but then again United Petroleum still sponsor the Collingwood VFL and never upped theirs to the main team. Usually it's local car dealerships or removalists or something.

Also has there ever been a logo below the AFL one? Looks odd, and it feels like they'd try and reserve that right hand side for their own space. Obviously themed rounds, Grand Finals, stuff like Dreamtime at the 'G or Heritage Round are different.
The China game between Port and Gold Coast, Port had the flags of both countries below the AFL logo.
Mostly logos go above the AFL logo. (Gold Coast had the flags above the AFL logo)
Anzac Day is the most obvious, but also there's been a few other once-offs that were placed above the AFL logo.

Is there Bintang clash 100% gone? I have a feeling they'll whip it out (hope not!), rekon the royal is too clashy
I'm of the view that WC's royal doesn't clash with the Lions' home jumper. Therefore I would think that Melbourne's royal clash should be ok.

The one concern would be whether the red yoke combined with the royal base creates an issue against Brisbane's royal yoke and maroon base. We shall see.

Do we normally have Thursday and Monday games on an Easter weekend? I can’t remember
Yeah almost always Thursday night; sometimes I think it even fell a lot on round one, so it was usually the season opener, day off, then back into it.

I don't know if it's a post Kennett's Curse thing, but Hawks - Cats has always been on the Monday. Pencil it in.

Not AFL related but I thought it was interesting, looks like ISC are using 3 different collars for 4 different SANFL teams. South Adelaide and Norwood using the old old one (2014?), Crows using the current one and Port with a classic V neck (this one looks best).

Yeah almost always Thursday night; sometimes I think it even fell a lot on round one, so it was usually the season opener, day off, then back into it.

I don't know if it's a post Kennett's Curse thing, but Hawks - Cats has always been on the Monday. Pencil it in.
The AFL have considered cats-hawks a rivalry sober the 2008 gf. I think they should just move on.

I'm of the view that WC's royal doesn't clash with the Lions' home jumper. Therefore I would think that Melbourne's royal clash should be ok.

The one concern would be whether the red yoke combined with the royal base creates an issue against Brisbane's royal yoke and maroon base. We shall see.
Yet Brisbane ARE one of the teams West Coast aren't allowed to wear Royal against. We've worn our clash against them consistently.

Realistically Melbourne's clash doesn't do it's job with Brisbane. If they use Royal as a clash, they need an alternate option, even if they only wear it v the Lions.

Yet Brisbane ARE one of the teams West Coast aren't allowed to wear Royal against. We've worn our clash against them consistently.

Realistically Melbourne's clash doesn't do it's job with Brisbane. If they use Royal as a clash, they need an alternate option, even if they only wear it v the Lions.
As much as I love Melbourne’s royal jumper, it’s gonna clash with any team wearing navy or royal (and purple) Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Freo, North, West Coast, Bulldogs.
The front of the red jumper should be reversed, so that the yoke is navy.

As much as I love Melbourne’s royal jumper, it’s gonna clash with any team wearing navy or royal (and purple) Adelaide, Brisbane, Carlton, Freo, North, West Coast, Bulldogs.
The front of the red jumper should be reversed, so that the yoke is navy.
Freo is a good example. West Coast have not been allowed to wear either Navy or Royal jumpers against them.

Yet that is the only 2 options Melbourne now have.

A red inverse jumper would been a better option.

Freo is a good example. West Coast have not been allowed to wear either Navy or Royal jumpers against them.

Yet that is the only 2 options Melbourne now have.

A red inverse jumper would been a better option.
Hopefully Melbourne will realise this. But when they do, they will bring back a white jumper instead of inverting the home or royal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back