Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
used to be able to clunk a few contested marks back in his prime... now he just drops marks constantly. I'd argue his spot is well and truly up for grabs in a few weeks.
I thought Rough had a good game against the crows. He had quite a presence physical wise and bet opposition players don't take him lightly.

I thought Rough had a good game against the crows. He had quite a presence physical wise and bet opposition players don't take him lightly.
I think Roughy is extermely happy to have Nash in the side.

Even though he's not clunking he's playing with a lot more confidence and freedom than last year and I think he'll be great for us this year. Will probably beat up on a couple of dud sides as well, which is always fun.

used to be able to clunk a few contested marks back in his prime... now he just drops marks constantly. I'd argue his spot is well and truly up for grabs in a few weeks.
This post belongs in 2017 mate. He makes his game doing other stuff now.

Expecting him to be a power-marking KPF (or part-time Ruckman:rolleyes:) is unrealistic.

This post belongs in 2017 mate. He makes his game doing other stuff now.

Expecting him to be a power-marking KPF (or part-time Ruckman:rolleyes:) is unrealistic.

Thats good for him but what our team has lacked for the longest time is a FF/CHF who can take a grab

Thats good for him but what our team has lacked for the longest time is a FF/CHF who can take a grab

Nope.

What we've lacked more than a big marking KPF, is a midfield that could break even or transition the ball quickly, from end to end.

The reason you’re wanting a marking KPF is because we’ve brought the ball forward shitly & have been forced to go long/high into our F50m. Hoping that a KPF will take 4+ contested marks a week to fix that isn’t the solution & even if it did work (history will show you that it never has), it would be papering over the cracks...

We’ve had BigBoy & Ceglar play FF over the last couple years & they’ve been largely ineffective, despite their being good-great pack marking players. With zoning off & the structured defences of the modern game, it is simply too easy to block/spoil big marking players.

We’ve grabbed Mitchell, JO’M, Wingard, Scully, Henderson & Impey since 2016, to complement Burgoyne, Howe, Worpel, Shiels & Smitty. At the end of this year, we’ll add Coniglio to that list (maybe lose Burgoyne). Our ball movement problem is almost fixed, which means we’ll soon be able to enter our F50m on our terms & with the new (6-6-6) rules, we’ll be a lot more dynamic with numerous options (like 2015).

I agree with you that we need a dangerous KPF to play FF, but not for his high/pack marking; we need someone who is quick off the mark, dangerous on the lead & with a tank to re-lead.

Interestingly, a few BHH watchers are very happy with the way Lewis marks on the lead & in 1-on1 contested situations.

I don't think we've ever been known to have that; FF/CHF, since the 80's & 90's, have we?

Roughy & Franklin were never that.. Nathan Thompson to a degree? Dunstall in the 90's, I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boyle was shaping up to be a decent chf before that sickening leg break. He was due to debut that week immsmc?
Nick Holland and John Barker were CHFs

Nathan Thompson was awesome in full flight.
Nick Holland was close to the best forward in the competition for a year or two, before injury.
Jade Rawlings was very handy... earned a big contract at WB.
Jonathan Barker was dangerous, though ageing.

McPharlin, Croad, and Hay down back.

We had a great spine... but we weren't that disciplined on or off the ground.

Rough's never been a huge aerial threat, he's always been judged on other metrics. Thought he took a good defender and was decent last week. Given his recent record against the dogs I'm expecting a good performance tomorrow. His spot is well and truly safe

Watch his 2008 finals series and tell me Ruff wasn’t an aerial threat? He was athletic, had sticky hands and moved brilliantly, he had a good 6-8 years of being very good in the air. I reckon around 29/30 he started to really drop off, could be some obvious adversity he’s faced.

Team is collecting some serious speed and endurance

Scully smith hendo Morrison Nash Poppy Impey Bigboy O’Meara Worpel among others
Everyone always forgets poor Shiela...

Watch his 2008 finals series and tell me Ruff wasn’t an aerial threat? He was athletic, had sticky hands and moved brilliantly, he had a good 6-8 years of being very good in the air. I reckon around 29/30 he started to really drop off, could be some obvious adversity he’s faced.

Love Rough, but this is demonstrably false. Never been a contested marking forward, and has never averaged more than 1.8 contested marks a game for any year and averages 1 a game across his career. Compare to actual aerial threats like Jack Riewoldt who averages 1.7, Nick who averaged 2, Kennedy 1.5. Even Buddy averages 1.6.

Nathan Thompson was awesome in full flight.
Nick Holland was close to the best forward in the competition for a year or two, before injury.
Jade Rawlings was very handy... earned a big contract at WB.
Jonathan Barker was dangerous, though ageing.

McPharlin, Croad, and Hay down back.

We had a great spine... but we weren't that disciplined on or off the ground.
We never got near winning a premiership when Nick Holland was playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back