Preview Round 2, 2019: Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs, 31 March 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both teams came out of the first round with a win. Both looked to tire in the fourth quarter but held on for wins.

This is our first home game for the year and spirits should be high after the effort the boys put in against the Crows.

So far we don't look to have any major injury concerns out of the game. Shiels dislocated a finger but it's not the type of injury to keep him out.

Box Hill have a practice match against Casey today though it's going to be tough to push any of the 22 out given the four quarter effort put in.

So, time to put your thinking hats on, pick your teams and discuss how we are going to get the four points come Sunday

IN:

images

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Impey, Mirra, Sicily

C: Henderson, Shiels, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O’Meara, Worpel

INT: Morrison, Ceglar, Scrimshaw, Cousins

If Wingard is ready he slots straight in. Whoever misses is going to be EXTREMELY stiff but we brought Wingard in for a reason. Otherwise no change.

Bulldogs beat Sydney by playing a similar style to 2016 - they flooded the contest and threw themselves at the ball, relying on sheer effort and some deft (and dubious) disposal to release the ball. Their forward entries were often long bombs, which is going to become a common occurrence with the 6-6-6 setup. Sydney went into their shells and the Doggies kept up the unrelenting pressure. But when Sydney started to fight back, lifting their intensity as the Dogs began to tire, they managed to claw back a ~40 point deficit. It was really only in the last few minutes that the Bulldogs were able to steady the ship. It wasn't pretty football but it got them the win.

If we structure defensively like we did v Adelaide it is going to be extremely hard for the Bulldogs to score. Additionally, their main movers across halfback (ironically Duryea and Suckling) are extremely susceptible to forward pressure and can quickly become liabilities. Two of our biggest strengths vs Adelaide come into play here.

The midfield is where most of the battle will take place - Bulldogs players will literally throw themselves at the ball and we need to match their intensity. If they get the quick clearance and bomb the chaos ball into the forwardline we won't have time to establish structures Luckily, the MCG isn't as small as Marvel stadium. McEvoy and Ceglar will play a big role here - English will be a good player but is physically lacking. Their influence both at the contests and around the ground will be crucial.

I do expect a tough contest - the Bulldogs will be up and about after their win. But if we produce what we did vs Adelaide (hopefully with straighter kicking) then I see us winning reasonably comfortably with a few uncomfortable moments throughout the game. Hawks by 25.

The Bulldogs ruck stocks is a weakness. McEvoy and Ceglar really should dominate in the ruck and around the ground.

The Bulldogs do have a very good young midfield though. Going to need big games again from O’Meara, Worpel and Cousins if were are to win.

Tom Mitchell would've been pretty pumped sitting in the box last night!

With Worpel performing well & Birch, Scully & Wingard to come in, I can see him declaring himself fit in the next week or 2, just to stay in the minds of Clarko & the Match Committee.

Tom Mitchell would've been pretty pumped sitting in the box last night!

With Worpel performing well & Birch, Scully & Wingard to come in, I can see him declaring himself fit in the next week or 2, just to stay in the minds of Clarko & the Match Committee.

Fingers crossed all the midfield can keep improving. We really don't want to see 50 possessions a game by Mr Mitchell, every game, but a spread across the board.

Fingers crossed all the midfield can keep improving. We really don't want to see 50 possessions a game by Mr Mitchell, every game, but a spread across the board.
We do if everyone else gets 50.

Could maybe see Howe coming in to play on Bont. If anyone was omitted after yesterday they would be stiff though.

Wouldn’t rush Wingard in as I think we have the Doggies covered and we need him fit and firing for the North game. Will spew if we lose to those spuds again.

Nash appeared a bit sore at the end so hopefully he’s okay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could maybe see Howe coming in to play on Bont. If anyone was omitted after yesterday they would be stiff though.

Wouldn’t rush Wingard in as I think we have the Doggies covered and we need him fit and firing for the North game. Will spew if we lose to those spuds again.

Nash appeared a bit sore at the end so hopefully he’s okay.

Nash can’t play. Needs more time to adjust but does not contribute enough at the contest or when he has the ball. Lucky to stay in anyway with the exception of development.
Watch the replay keep an eye out for the handballs

Would love to know how Howe went in the Box Hill practice match.
I am leaning towards him coming in for Cousins.
You didn't think Cousins played well?

Edit: Probs needs 24+ possessions as opposed to 18, but the 2.0 helped

Not sure about Nash. Sure he can tackle but I reckon you need forwards who can kick. I wouldn't back him from 20m straight in front

Not even sure what reserves we have right now but if Nash is in I'm happy to go unchanged. Not a fan of Mirra but thought he got a pass yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back