Preview Round 2, 2020: Geelong v Hawthorn, 12 June 2020, 7.50pm @ GMBHA Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
There are no other teams
I'm feeling a late out - either Gunston or Morrison out for a midfielder. No way does Hardwick replace O'Meara
Unless he is injured Gunston out is as much a chance as flying to the moon on a broomstick.

It simple will not happen.

As per the training report if there is a late out it would be Poppy.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Geelong have a stronger team in on paper. They really have no excuse to lose this. We're at least 3 players off our best team but still give us a huge chance. We have enough class to trouble them alot.

Great signs for us when we have Scrimshaw and Lewis as emergencies. Depth will be key this year!

Our depth does look good. You need around 10-12 players to choose from. Arguably the bolded are best 22 when fit.

Lewis - 14 games
Nash - 19 games
Glass - 17 games
Scrimshaw - 14 games
Howe - 62 games
Hartley - 44 games
Jiath - 2 games
Moore - 7 games
Minchington - 28 games
Cousins - 19 games
Brooksby - 14 games

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Geelong have a stronger team in on paper. They really have no excuse to lose this. We're at least 3 players off our best team but still give us a huge chance. We have enough class to trouble them alot.
I’m not seeing that there better on paper than us at all. You have to take in to account where their big names are in their career right now and they don’t scare me (ie Duckwood, Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins).

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m not seeing that there better on paper than us at all. You have to take in to account where their big names are in their career right now and they don’t scare me (ie Duckwood, Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins).
There's not much in it. Full strength Vs full strength we have definitely the better list. That backline of theirs is slow as treacle excluding Touhy, O Connor and Stewart. Difference with our tall backs is they are fast and athletic. If we get the ball to ground often enough they are going to be in all sorts. Patton the huge key here forcing his big body in the way often enough to either halve contests or win them outright. TImmy to crash packs with his leap.

There's not much in it. Full strength Vs full strength we have definitely the better list. That backline of theirs is slow as treacle excluding Touhy, O Connor and Stewart. Difference with our tall backs is they are fast and athletic. If we get the ball to ground often enough they are going to be in all sorts. Patton the huge key here forcing his big body in the way often enough to either halve contests or win them outright. TImmy to crash packs with his leap.
Yep, spot on.

And for all the doubters about McEvoy's role in the backline, he's perfectly matched up with Ratugolea. Our backs match up very well with what they can throw forward at us.

MercurialHawk26

Senior List
Jan 23, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
After watching today's game, I think the comments on a shortened game lowering Scully's value are a bit off...every player on the field looks run off their feet. An endurance player like Scully may very well rise to the top in the last quarter of a game tomorrow when everyone else is a touch off the pace.

After watching today's game, I think the comments on a shortened game lowering Scully's value are a bit off...every player on the field looks run off their feet. An endurance player like Scully may very well rise to the top in the last quarter of a game tomorrow when everyone else is a touch off the pace.
Yeah the players haven't had normal prep, they will all be way down on normal.
Scully and Smith and Hendo will be valuable no doubt

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
I think this is likely (Scully having an advantage) over the next 2-3 rounds, at least until most players build their fitness back up.

Jan 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA Clippers
Our depth does look good. You need around 10-12 players to choose from. Arguably the bolded are best 22 when fit.

Lewis - 14 games
Nash - 19 games
Glass - 17 games
Scrimshaw - 14 games
Howe - 62 games
Hartley - 44 games
Jiath - 2 games
Moore - 7 games
Minchington - 28 games
Cousins - 19 games
Brooksby - 14 games
I think what’s important about this list is that they don’t need to come into our side and star, they just need to play a role which they’re definitely capable of doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back