Preview Round 2, 2020: Geelong v Hawthorn, 12 June 2020, 7.50pm @ GMBHA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder with a few weeks up our sleeve before the game, that they bring the boundaries in at Waverley. I recall reading about us doing it in recent times. Maybe for SCG games?

I recall that they adjusted the dimensions of Waverley Park for the preliminary final against the Dockers in 2015.

Watch Clarko use playing at their dump of a venue as a way to motivate the playing group, similar to playing in the snow. Geelong hold no fears. Slow as treacle and pretty old and apart from Dangerfield unspectacular. Reckon the narrow ground may even suit our choking of opposition ball movement. The Chris Scott presser post a loss would be sublime viewing.
I want the win for the sole reason that he can't sook about the home ground post game. I'd pay good money to see it.

I’m expecting Gunston, Breust, Shiels and Smith all to play close to their best this year. As they’re all in their prime.

Henderson, McEvoy and Frawley are coming off career best seasons.

The improvement will come from Lewis, Scrimshaw and Worpel.

Wingard, Scully and Meara will all be much better then last year.

Looking forward to seeing the Sicily and Scrimshaw half back combo. Should be fun to watch.

Remember that game against West Coast last year? Notice how in the games Scrimshaw played last year that Burgoyne played forward? He has kicked 6 goals in the last two games.

I don’t know how many games will be played this year, but at some point Walker,
Maginness, Jones and Greaves will all make their debut.

Last edited:
The loss of Kelly nowhere near as bad due to the recruitment of Stevens.

Going back to the 2006 game at KP in the weeks before after north played the cats, coach Laidley pronounce the Cats 'certain premiers'

Mind you in 2006 the cats still had hangover intimidation issue with Hawthorn. Not so much now. Razor would be a certainty

Remember the time Geelong had that big sook and somehow managed to convince the AFL to play a final at Kidney park against Fremantle? So funny when they lost. I'd love for them to lose their most important game at that ground since as well. Our more direct style perfectly suited for this ground.

How many players on our list would have played on that shitheap of a ground before?
More than you would think.

Frawley, Frost, McEvoy, Burgoyne, Wingard, Henderson, Mitchell, O'Meara, Patton, Impey, Scully.

I've not included Ceglar, O'Brien or Lewis who I'm pretty certain have played VFL there before.

Nor have I included Worpel who would certainly have played there at the U18 level.

And our trump card is Bolton who coached against them in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last time we played there in 2006 was one of our best wins in the early Clarko years. They were top of the ladder at the time, and we were coming off the Rocca vs Dawson mauling. We came out and somehow beat the cats by about 9 goals down there, Hodgey dominated them.

Classic game! Beat them the following year as well down in Tassie and there was talk of Tommo getting the axe before they turned it all around...

More than you would think.

Frawley, Frost, McEvoy, Burgoyne, Wingard, Henderson, Mitchell, O'Meara, Patton, Impey, Scully.

I've not included Ceglar, O'Brien or Lewis who I'm pretty certain have played VFL there before.

Nor have I included Worpel who would certainly have played there at the U18 level.

And our trump card is Bolton who coached against them in 2018.
That's why I asked, I knew it would be more than we might imagine, given that we, as a club, haven't played there for almost a decade and a half.

If you include Brisbane this means we're going to play 4 finalists in the first 5 rounds - the premiers (off a 6 day break), the runner up at their home ground and the minor premiers at their spiritual home ground off a 6 day break. Going to be a good demonstration of where we're at. It's a really tough draw.

Thinking our tall timber will be as important as ever on the smaller ground? Hopefully its dry and we can unleash the 4 headed monster that is
Patton O'Brien Gunston Lewis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back