Preview Round 2, 2020: Geelong v Hawthorn, 12 June 2020, 7.50pm @ GMBHA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty confident we'll roll them. We've got a nice mix of experience and youth now, the maturity and wisdom of guys like Shiels, Smith, Breust and Gunston will help alot. Feel like that was evident round 1.

They're cooked.

Assuming Dimma will be right? Training reports?
Dimma should be ready.
Jars was in full training today apparently.

How does everyone see the reserves looking like with no VFL?

B: Glass, Koschitzke, Jiath

HB: Howe, Hartley, Greaves

C: Morrison, Maginness, Day

HF: Nash, Walker, Ross

F: Minchington, O’Brien*, Moore

R: Brooksby, Cousins, Jones

INT: Morris, Pepper, Reeves, Jeka

Watch Clarko use playing at their dump of a venue as a way to motivate the playing group, similar to playing in the snow. Geelong hold no fears. Slow as treacle and pretty old and apart from Dangerfield unspectacular. Reckon the narrow ground may even suit our choking of opposition ball movement. The Chris Scott presser post a loss would be sublime viewing.
Yeah exactly this.
Plus Dangerfield spend much of the break sooking about the potential hubs

How many players on our list would have played on that shitheap of a ground before?
Burgoyne, Wingard, Scully, Patton, O'meara possibly Scrimshaw?

Basically any player we rescued from a minnow team...

A real supporter would still turn up.

Heard someone call in to SEN saying cats supporters should turn up and make noise outside. really? Id have thought in Geelong the Police have plenty to attend to without wasting time herding cat fans

Heard someone call in to SEN saying cats supporters should turn up and make noise outside. really? Id have thought in Geelong the Police have plenty to attend to without wasting time herding cat fans
Honestly it would probably make things easier for the cops. Imagine all those outstanding warrants in one place. Drop a few tear gas canisters in the middle of them and hope the ice doesn't give them too much resistance to the effects.

Would love a selection surprise like Finn or Jones in for a debut but reckon Clarko will go for the round 1 side (Dimma for Morrison)

Stratton Chip Dimma
Sicily Frost Smith
Shiels Mitchell Scully
Bruest Gunston Wingard
Silk Patton Timmy
Ceglar Jaeger Worps
Hendo Ollie McEvoy Poppy

In: Dimma McEvoy rucking and forward
Out:Morrison Slow backline

Gunston and Timmy can rotate back if needed. Plenty of options through the midfield and forward.

The narrow ground should suit our defensive structures and our tall options up front.

Would love a selection surprise like Finn or Jones in for a debut but reckon Clarko will go for the round 1 side (Dimma for Morrison)

Stratton Chip Dimma
Sicily Frost Smith
Shiels Mitchell Scully
Bruest Gunston Wingard
Silk Patton Timmy
Ceglar Jaeger Worps
Hendo Ollie McEvoy Poppy

Gunston and Timmy can rotate back if needed. Plenty of options through the midfield and forward.

The narrow ground should suit our defensive structures and our tall options up front.
Room for Scrim? I rate the kid.

Cats love the narrow ground and teams bombing it in with monsters either marking or spoiling from HB and off they go.

Will be very interesting to watch our game plan/style.
Harry Taylor usually the key with that game plan. But seriously, is he still a thing? He'll get Patton, but if we can bring the ball to the ground Taylor will be embarrassed by our smalls.

Stewart's a good player. I'll give him that. But I don't worry about blokes like Tuohy, Guthrie, Bews, Kolo, O'Connor.
If we're fair dinkum, Breust, Gunston, Shaun, Chad and Poppy should rip them an absolute new one.

Bring it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stratton Chip Dimma
Sicily Frost Smith
Shiels Mitchell Scully
Bruest Gunston Wingard
Silk Patton Timmy
Ceglar Jaeger Worps
Hendo Ollie McEvoy Poppy

I still think McEvoy will play back, with Frost taking a medium sized forward, or even a small.

Doesn't have the class of Kelly. Very good at what he does and will add speed but if they think losing Kelly won't hurt much they will be mistaken. West Coast will be a lot better this year with him there. Is already a barometer.
Put it this way, I almost feared Kelly and what he can do, I don't fear tiprat Steven.

Last time we played there in 2006 was one of our best wins in the early Clarko years. They were top of the ladder at the time, and we were coming off the Rocca vs Dawson mauling. We came out and somehow beat the cats by about 9 goals down there, Hodgey dominated them.

Don't need to tell me .

I was there ;)

Last edited:
Rumours there will be 0.

You never knock back a flag, but this could be a hollow one.

I know I am in the minority but I feel the opposite way. This is a special premiership and the victors will be remembered for a long time.

I have caught wind in a lot of interviews that the clubs are treating it the same way.

I know I am in the minority but I feel the opposite way. This is a special premiership and the victors will be remembered for a long time.

I have caught wind in a lot of interviews that the clubs are treating it the same way.
Well there's now talk of 30k fans being let in for thr GF. They'd make enough noise for an atmosphere.

This season is such a moving beast. You're right, would be special in it's own unique way. They all are really.

If SA or WA were to remain virus free - the GF could be there (but of course Gil and co would have to isolate for 14 days - if its good enough for the umpires....

Harry Taylor usually the key with that game plan. But seriously, is he still a thing? He'll get Patton, but if we can bring the ball to the ground Taylor will be embarrassed by our smalls.

Stewart's a good player. I'll give him that. But I don't worry about blokes like Tuohy, Guthrie, Bews, Kolo, O'Connor.
If we're fair dinkum, Breust, Gunston, Shaun, Chad and Poppy should rip them an absolute new one.

Bring it.
Spot on with Patton. Taylor used to run amok cutting off high entries into our forward 50 because there wasn't great competition. The primary strengths of Buddy and Roughy was not with their contested marking. McEvoy and Hale had the ability but they were primarily being used as our main ruckman. Gunston a great mark but without the reach and strength to reliably compete directly with Taylor.

Patton has what's required. He can read the flight of the ball, he has the strength to wrestle for position and protect the space, and he can take contested marks on the lead and when stuck under the high ball. The issue will be if they can lock him up and allow for another to go 3rd man up. But if I can see that then there's no doubt we'll be prepared for that and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back