Preview Round 2, 2020: Geelong v Hawthorn, 12 June 2020, 7.50pm @ GMBHA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The amazing kardinia park record for geelong over the past 10 years has been inflated by the substandard opposition that have been unlucky enough to have been sent to Geelong. Hawks by plenty.

I accidently droped that into the geelong board preview round 2 by accident. oh well that'll go down well.
They're surprisingly not that confident for once.

Looks like Minchington has lost some weight during the shutdown period. It will be interesting to see how the depth players outside the best 22 like Minchington, Hartley, Brooksby etc put their hands up for selection with no VFL this year.

Looks like Minchington has lost some weight during the shutdown period. It will be interesting to see how the depth players outside the best 22 like Minchington, Hartley, Brooksby etc put their hands up for selection with no VFL this year.
With the role Mich is likely to play which is depth as a pressure forward I reckon it’s a good thing. If he gets a shot to play then you want him to be as nimble as possible.

Perhaps they have reduced his weight a bit to try to prevent injuries.

I've got a feeling we will beat Geelong this time. Generally feeling positive for the season, I think Clarko is likely to handle the unusual season better than other coaches and hopefully the team will benefit. Other than the Tiges I'm pretty sure we will be competitive with other teams.

You ramp up intensity too quickly you get injuries.

With the format for the restarted season and the short lead in for clubs to prepare there are going to be injuries.

How clubs rotate players and adapt workload to this as well as who has the depth to do it well will be important.

As well a game plan that is sustainable.

Geelong have struggled in the second half of seasons recently but been strong early.

Be interesting to see how this game plays out.

Last update on O'Meara I saw was that he was 'in doubt". I'm starting to think they are just easing us into the fact he probably won't get up.

On the positive side apparently Hardwick is good to go

Impey and Howe to be ready in July at some point

good call - we have the same luxury in tassie to some extent but we still have to get on a flight to tassie as do the oppo and we don’t get to train at the venue like the pussies who know every blade of grass on the ground at gmhba. Their oval shape is also unique and at the elite level every small % of advantage makes a difference. Saying all that - if your good enough you win doesn’t matter about weather conditions or ground size. no excuses.

Last update on O'Meara I saw was that he was 'in doubt". I'm starting to think they are just easing us into the fact he probably won't get up.

On the positive side apparently Hardwick is good to go

Impey and Howe to be ready in July at some point
We can replace JOM. With Mitchell back it's added that extra dimension and it just means that the midfield group moves up in order. Worpel is probably our 2nd best mid ATM as it is and Wingard will probably spend a fair bit of the game in there if JOM doesn't play. We replace Jaeger with Finn your still getting that big bodied mid around the ball. You need 3 prime mids at any 1 time to be very competitive and we still will have that. Shiels is a very good 4th mid. Geelong will have Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and Steven (If he plays) as their frontliners with Parfitt and Narkle as their younger mids going through there. It's a decent group but realistically you wont get a major impact from Duckboy moving forward I reckon. That's why they have Parfitt and Narkle in their more prominently. It will be Duncan and Dangerfield who will provide the impact required and as was posted earlier we should look to lock down Duncan and risk Danger doing what he wants. Can't see him doing much forward anyway we have guys that can match him.

We can replace JOM. With Mitchell back it's added that extra dimension and it just means that the midfield group moves up in order. Worpel is probably our 2nd best mid ATM as it is and Wingard will probably spend a fair bit of the game in there if JOM doesn't play. We replace Jaeger with Finn your still getting that big bodied mid around the ball. You need 3 prime mids at any 1 time to be very competitive and we still will have that. Shiels is a very good 4th mid. Geelong will have Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan and Steven (If he plays) as their frontliners with Parfitt and Narkle as their younger mids going through there. It's a decent group but realistically you wont get a major impact from Duckboy moving forward I reckon. That's why they have Parfitt and Narkle in their more prominently. It will be Duncan and Dangerfield who will provide the impact required and as was posted earlier we should look to lock down Duncan and risk Danger doing what he wants. Can't see him doing much forward anyway we have guys that can match him.
Think Duncan played at HF v GWS R1 and kicked 3. Good player, but don't see him racking up 35 in the midfield and cutting us up in there. Kelly yes, but he's gone now, m'kay.

The amazing kardinia park record for geelong over the past 10 years has been inflated by the substandard opposition that have been unlucky enough to have been sent to Geelong. Hawks by plenty.

I accidently droped that into the geelong board preview round 2 by accident. oh well that'll go down well.
Same with us at Launceston

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Duncan played at HF v GWS R1 and kicked 3. Good player, but don't see him racking up 35 in the midfield and cutting us up in there. Kelly yes, but he's gone now, m'kay.

I honestly reckon Duncan is their best midfielder now. Dangerfield is dangerous on his day but more often than not he simply bombs it forward to the opposition and puts on minimal defensive pressure. Ablett is more skilled but these days he can’t even be bothered to chase an opponent. Selwood is their best two-way midfielder and he’s still tough but he’s really slowed down. Duncan is less prolific but still has speed, can run and carry and his ball use can actually be damaging. We’ve tagged him in the past and I suspect Sheils may run with him again. I feel like losing Kelly was a massive blow to Geelong - he had all the tools they needed and was in a good age bracket. Steven is an alright replacement but he needs to actually get on the park.

Two-way running has been a weakness of the Cats for a while and the reason their prolific midfield hasn’t achieved any success IMO. It’s why I’m really optimistic about our midfield this year - all our mids had 3+ tackles and a handful of pressure acts to go along with their disposals. It suggested we actually are doing the defensive stuff. Even Wingard, who was our most damaging midfielder, registered 3 tackles

I honestly reckon Duncan is their best midfielder now. Dangerfield is dangerous on his day but more often than not he simply bombs it forward to the opposition and puts on minimal defensive pressure. Ablett is more skilled but these days he can’t even be bothered to chase an opponent. Selwood is their best two-way midfielder and he’s still tough but he’s really slowed down. Duncan is less prolific but still has speed, can run and carry and his ball use can actually be damaging. We’ve tagged him in the past and I suspect Sheils may run with him again. I feel like losing Kelly was a massive blow to Geelong - he had all the tools they needed and was in a good age bracket. Steven is an alright replacement but he needs to actually get on the park.

Two-way running has been a weakness of the Cats for a while and the reason their prolific midfield hasn’t achieved any success IMO. It’s why I’m really optimistic about our midfield this year - all our mids had 3+ tackles and a handful of pressure acts to go along with their disposals. It suggested we actually are doing the defensive stuff. Even Wingard, who was our most damaging midfielder, registered 3 tackles

Agreed Duncan is there most reliable.
i think we have a better side than Geelong i can see us finising higher on the ladder with that being said i see this round 2 game as a 50/50 game.
Bringing the ball out of the back half will be a big key to winning! so many sides kick the ball out on the full because of the skinny ground and are not use to playing there, The back 6 will need to be very good with there disposal, if we can get the run & carry game going we will be fine if they force us to kick i will be a lil concerned buy foot if Mcevoy,Frost,Chip,Stratts all line up in defence together on that ground.

I think our Mids and Fwds will be to damaging Mitch,Worps,Jags,Wingard,Shiles,Gunston,Breust,Patton,Smith,Scully is a such a good balanced of core group players. Tough,Class,Smart,Quick,Endurance. Once they builld that chemistry with Mitch & Patton we will be a very solid side.

Agreed Duncan is there most reliable.
i think we have a better side than Geelong i can see us finising higher on the ladder with that being said i see this round 2 game as a 50/50 game.
Bringing the ball out of the back half will be a big key to winning! so many sides kick the ball out on the full because of the skinny ground and are not use to playing there, The back 6 will need to be very good with there disposal, if we can get the run & carry game going we will be fine if they force us to kick i will be a lil concerned buy foot if Mcevoy,Frost,Chip,Stratts all line up in defence together on that ground.

I think our Mids and Fwds will be to damaging Mitch,Worps,Jags,Wingard,Shiles,Gunston,Breust,Patton,Smith,Scully is a such a good balanced of core group players. Tough,Class,Smart,Quick,Endurance. Once they builld that chemistry with Mitch & Patton we will be a very solid side.
We managed to stop them(and others in the 2nd half of last season) moving the ball with any fluency last year. Should be able to make it even harder for them at the narrower ground this time

There’s a number of players in contention for selection if O’Meara doesn’t play.

Cousins would be leading the race for a spot. He was an emergency in Round 1, Maginness and Jones are the other two in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back