Autopsy Round 2, 2020: Hawks go home early

Remove this Banner Ad

And a few teams started flat this round as well

Really need to see a few more rounds before judging sides this year
Agree entirely. A few pseudo preseason matches to dust off the cobwebs and get some game-day kms into the legs and perhaps some sort of normality will resume.

So we've had 4 matches so far - and 3 teams pretty much haven't scored after half time

That's very unusual
Interestingly, Matthew Lloyd was saying yesterday before our game that he was expecting some big margins and blowouts to occur based on just what he was hearing round the traps that many clubs just weren’t ready with the limited prep time. With that and what’s happened in other games, feeling less down about what we dished up.

A lot of negativity understandably but we just had a bad day after a long layoff, we were outplayed and credit to the finals underachievers who were better on the night. Few dodgy umpiring calls didn’t help. I’m glad we are playing the Tigers next week so we can benchmark next weeks performance and result against quality rather than beating a bottom 4 team and assuming order is restored.

I meant Dangerfield big. Fyfe big. Martin big. Boak big. Finn aint anywhere near that yet
I’d hope Wrighty is putting the feelers out on Jackson Hately (GWS). He’s 190cm however is only 83kgs atm. You’d think he’d fill out nicely but as always there’s the Gil factor at play and Hately is born in Canberra too.

And a few teams started flat this round as well

Really need to see a few more rounds before judging sides this year
It's true of every year. While in normal season the 8 tends to be set after 8 rounds, the changes over that time can be significant.

And we all know making the 8 doesn't mean winning it

I don't think it will take 8 rounds to set the 8 this year but two with such a gap between and such strange circumstances is certainly too early to decide who is in or out

I hope Clarkson, though he's probably my favorite all time coach after Jeans, has the humility to accept he's wrong.

McEvoy's pace off the mark is unacceptable for the backline. I can even see him doing his hamstring trying to catch his opponent. He's most effective in the Ruck and around the ground. For Mine:
Outs: Ceglar, Morrison, O'brien, Puopolo
Ins: Lewis, O'Meara, Minchington, Jones.

FFS all the players were really impressed with Jones. Minchington looked better than Pup even based on one practice game. Also, We need to give some kids reward for effort. And Harry is a hard nut too. Stratton is lucky he's Captain coz Scrimshaw is part of our future and should replace him too.

Perspective : Eagles at full strength got smashed by Suns.

I hope Clarkson, though he's probably my favorite all time coach after Jeans, has the humility to accept he's wrong.

McEvoy's pace off the mark is unacceptable for the backline. I can even see him doing his hamstring trying to catch his opponent. He's most effective in the Ruck and around the ground. For Mine:
Outs: Ceglar, Morrison, O'brien, Puopolo
Ins: Lewis, O'Meara, Minchington, Jones.

FFS all the players were really impressed with Jones. Minchington looked better than Pup even based on one practice game. Also, We need to give some kids reward for effort. And Harry is a hard nut too. Stratton is lucky he's Captain coz Scrimshaw is part of our future and should replace him too.

Perspective : Eagles at full strength got smashed by Suns.

Agree with all bar Minchington, he needs to get more conditioning

I thought there was some pretty good signs in first half. I actually thought at that point, we're a good footy side.
But we didn't go with Geelong's intensity in 2nd half. That's going make you look second rate.
Clarko is still fiddling with this side.and still trying to find the right mix but we've got some genuine talent in this side which should hold us in good stead.
Few things to work on but I think we'll be ok.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually I thought the same. I wonder if some of the players didn't train hard enough during the break.

Interestingly, Matthew Lloyd was saying yesterday before our game that he was expecting some big margins and blowouts to occur based on just what he was hearing round the traps that many clubs just weren’t ready with the limited prep time. With that and what’s happened in other games, feeling less down about what we dished up.

This is hard to swallow. Last time I checked every club had the exact same break.

We have one of the highest paid coaching staff in the AFL with Clarko Mitchell and Bolton in charge with a gun medical team to back them.

Completely no excuse for our club to not be ready to play on Friday night or completely run out of puff as they did at half time.

Bring on the Tigers and let’s hope our players want and desire turn up this game as Friday was complete rubbish from us in the second half.

This is hard to swallow. Last time I checked every club had the exact same break.

We have one of the highest paid coaching staff in the AFL with Clarko Mitchell and Bolton in charge with a gun medical team to back them.

Completely no excuse for our club to not be ready to play on Friday night or completely run out of puff as they did at half time.

Bring on the Tigers and let’s hope our players want and desire turn up this game as Friday was complete rubbish from us in the second half.
Yep no excuse to say we weren't prepared. As a professional organisation I can't swallow that.

I agree with you, but we certainly played like a club who weren’t ready, whether it was mental or physical. I haven’t seen us fade that badly in a very very long time.

West Coast and us basically turned in the same performance .
Didnt turn up and slow to start , worked into the game by half time. Than stopped working/running and got carved up by a hungrier opponant .

If you want a simplistic reason we lost like we did , I think that would be it .

Are we still in an intense training block!?
No, we were simply crap. First up match for 3 months with every other team on the same limited preparation. Some have handled it well (like Geelong). Others have handled it badly (like us).

Not easy pulling a group of professional athletes out of self isolation, getting them to reassimilate to each other and new tactics, etc.

It‘s new ground for every club.

I’ll reserve judgment for a few weeks but if we’re the middle of the road team we were in 2019 that won’t be surprising.

Not easy pulling a group of professional athletes out of self isolation, getting them to reassimilate to each other and new tactics, etc.

It‘s new ground for every club.

I’ll reserve judgment for a few weeks but if we’re the middle of the road team we were in 2019 that won’t be surprising.
Interestingly the following HFC current/ex coaches didn’t win the “return to active duty” game.

Clarkson, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron, Hardwick.

Dew and Ratten did, but beat Bevo and Simpson in the process.

Perhaps there’s a common thread here?

Interestingly the following HFC current/ex coaches didn’t win the “return to active duty” game.

Clarkson, Beveridge, Simpson, Cameron, Hardwick.

Dew and Ratten did, but beat Bevo and Simpson in the process.

Perhaps there’s a common thread here?

Its a hell of coaching tree but not sure I think there’s a pattern.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back