Preview Round 2, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th June, 6:05PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I know that but anyone who has geary out of the side is going to be disappointed. May as well pick him and get the others right.

Quite true...Geary has been loyal and devoted, and for all his faults, he at least knows how to organise a fairly unsettled backline efficiently. I'm not his biggest fan, but I reckon he deserves this season to bed in the Paton & Coffield types, and get the defensive line properly settled, because it will be the final year of captain Geary being an instant pick.

Yes I know that but anyone who has geary out of the side is going to be disappointed. May as well pick him and get the others right.
You mean disappointed like we all are every week, month or season?
I don't think anyone actually expects Gears to be omitted. We do however expect to be disappointed, so no harm surly???

I’m of the view that Ryder isn’t a super effective ruckman anymore and certainly isn’t a dangerous enough option going forward. I can appreciate he’s dropped some weight and is a handy back up but there’s just no way he fits into the 22 with the shortened quarters. He probably plays if there’s even a 5 man extended bench but not 4 so it is a close call.

Given the above, I’m comfortable with King rucking for 4mins per quarter as it will get his hands on the ball and we could really use his athleticism around the ball with such garbage mids.. having Marshall and King switching b/w ruck/FF for the next 10 years is quite the thought. Imagine having two Peter Everett’s!! With the possibility of adding a third who would likely be the stay at home CHF in B King.

I digress.. Other points I’d like make include Battle performing said stay at home CHF role for now as he can actually kick it through. Imagine having the next Jack darling and not picking him..

Clark plays the whole year as a ruck rover, there’s no reason to play him off half back any more if we have Long Webster and Roberton up and going. Coffield plays the defensive wing role all year while hill is the attacking winger.

Stop picking dean Kent! Bloke is a shocking kick.. sold some fake news there bloody hell. Another bad kick makes way in dunstan

Gresham 50/50 forward where he belongs as he’s not a good enough field kick to play on ball full time. Billings to be the next dal santo hopefully

My 2020 losing elimination final team is as follows:

Wilkie Howard Webster
Long Carlisle Roberton
Hill Clark Coffield
Parker Battle Gresham
King Membrey (C) Lonie
Marshall Hanneberry Billings

Jones Butler Ross
Steele

Geary Joyce Dunstan
Ryder Marsh Sinclair
Ballsy team, would give us a different look, that's for sure. I think we would be belted on the inside tho, but don't know if u don't try.

Also, I hope they don't play our King in the truck- at least for a couple of years

For me my ideal best 22 for this season would be

Wilkie - Howard - Geary
Roberton - Carlisle - Long
Hill - Hannerbery - Billings
Gresham - Battle - Membrey
Lonie - King - Hind
Marshall - Ross - Dunstan
Jones - Coffield - Clark - Sinclair.

Its about pace and impact for this season imo, AFL in 2020 is a different beast to every other season

On this board there just seems to be this accepted wisdom that Battle cant play back as it makes us too tall. It is discussed page after page and I just don't understand it.

Assuming our opposition plays 2 key forwards, we can (and I believe should) play all of Carlisle (200cm, 106kg), Howard (199cm, 92kg) & Battle (193cm, 92kg). Two match up, leaving Carlisle or Battle as the floating interceptor. Then all 3 match up if / when there is a resting ruck.

When we were flying around 2010 we played all of Dawson, Blake & Fisher every week. All were 190+ and more importantly all played tall. It meant Fisher largely floated around to do what he wanted. It was an ideal setup. Early 2000s we played 3 backs over 190cm with Penny, Hudgeton & Fisher.

Considering we play half our games under a roof, I see no reason why we cant play all 3. Carlisle would be lethal as a floating spare tall (the same way Essendon used to use him with Hurley and Hooker).

I have had an absolute gutfull of watching Savage or Geary as our spare man for the last 3-4 years. They do nothing to kill the ball in the air, and the opposition is happy to let them play loose all day long because half of their disposals come screaming back over their head (twice as fast).

Of course if it is wet, or we are playing a team with a small front half (ie Collingwood), then you adjust accordingly. Ie Battle plays forward and we go in with 1 ruck.

But in terms of our ideal setup (I know playing the game on our terms is a strange idea after years of Richo but...) I want to play with a genuine tall as our spare defender to kill the ball in the air.

The other 4 flankers and pockets are then selected between Wilkie, Robbo, JWebb, Geary*, Paton, Long and Coff. It is a completely different backline philosophy then we have had for a decade, but we need to evolve. Our current backline mix is absolutely not right. Sure it can defend effectively, but who cares. I would much much much much rather the ability intercept and move the ball quickly and accurately from the back half as our priority, then to defend. Its not 1992.

For me the logjam is between Wilkie, Coff and Robbo. None are particularly quick, none can lock down on the small crafty goalkickers, none are elite kicks and none can play KPD. Hence (assuming you play Battle back) you can only play a max of one of those 3 as a midsize / tall distributer. But for me, that's where the selection question comes.

Against the Dogs, under a roof, assuming Naughton and Bruce play, then I am selecting all of Battle, Howard and Carlisle in our back half. With Dunkley, Wallis, Bont and McCrae delivering the ball I50, I love the idea of Carlisle or Battle with a licence to float free all day

Can't drop wilkie.
Wilkie, Carlisle, Howard, Battle is far too tall and immobile.

Maybe JWebster in the middle- we lacked ba*ls in the 3rd Q against North in the middle of the ground.

We lacked THE ball in the middle against north.
We need mids that can rack up 30+ possies week in and out, I don't think Jwebb could do that

Wilkie - Howard - Geary
Lonie - King - Hind

Its about pace and impact for this season imo, AFL in 2020 is a different beast to every other season
That full forward line sucks ,,, Sorry mate

Can't drop wilkie.

We need mids that can rack up 30+ possies week in and out, I don't think Jwebb could do that
That's for sure- it's the missing link in us getting up the ladder and into finals, but need to get a bit more inventive around midfield selection and try something new.

That's for sure- it's the missing link in us getting up the ladder and into finals, but need to get a bit more inventive around midfield selection and try something new.
Webster isnt going to fix our mid issues , thats just clutching at straws, lets hope bytel can help out in the middle

What I want:

FB: Paton - Howard - Wilkie
HB: Roberton - Carlisle - Long
C: Billings - Ross - Hill
HF: Gresham - Membrey (c) - Butler
FF: Battle - King - Lonie
R: Marshall - Steele - Dunstan
I: Hannebery - Jones - Coffield - Parker

What I expect:

FB: Geary (c) - Howard - Webster
HB:
HF: Gresham - Membrey - Kent
FF:
Ryder - King - Lonie
I: Hannebery - Jones - Savage - Sinclair

What I want:

What I expect:

HB:
FF:
Ryder - King - Lonie
Jeez our depth has improved if Hunter can't get a run in either side ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont go to training so i would have no idea if they think he can play as a mid
From I've seen in the practice games and what I've read on here, they keep using him as a forward and occasionally run him through the midfield. Thats the role he played in the game at Morwell against the Hawks. Did some of the forward half ruckwork as well.

Don't really expect much but I reckon he's got as much ability as Battle and I've seen him do some freakish things that get me more excited that he could be a bit more of a wildcard type than Battle.

What I want:

What I expect:

HB:
FF:
Ryder - King - Lonie
Why would you expect players like Savage or Sinclair when they didnt get a game rd1 - and in Savage's case not in all the preseason games - despite being fit and able to play?

Can't drop wilkie.

And with all the talk of how great Gresh is, he is far from doing that at the moment.
Although most top line midfielders average around the 25 disposals per game (including their first years) with Gresh sitting on 22 disposals, so not far away needs to rise to the next level starting this season.

Why would you expect players like Savage or Sinclair when they didnt get a game rd1 - and in Savage's case not in all the preseason games - despite being fit and able to play?
Those Two and a few more need to be pushed out if we are ever going to challenge for a flag again , we have way to many nice blokes -GOP's

The trauma of Richo's selections still lingers...

Gonna take a while for Ratts to heal that wound.

Wilkie - Howard - Geary
Lonie - King - Hind

Roberton looked crap in round one. I’d have Savage, Webster, Paton or Clark in there for him.

I think Savage played preseason games from memory

He played the first but not the second one.
We aren’t going back to savage surely. Depth now. I’d rather coffield if they want to replace robbo. Having said that Carlisle is the logical replacement. Battle replaces Ryder and maybe Kent is in trouble but I didn’t think he was that bad in the first game apart from the usual saints disease of kicking poorly. I can’t fit Webster in the side but I wish I could.

We aren’t going back to savage surely. Depth now. I’d rather coffield if they want to replace robbo. Having said that Carlisle is the logical replacement. Battle replaces Ryder and maybe Kent is in trouble but I didn’t think he was that bad in the first game apart from the usual saints disease of kicking poorly. I can’t fit Webster in the side but I wish I could.
He can take Geary's spot surely. .

I agree. I dont think we are looking at Savage as anything but depth, which is why he only played the one preseason game while players like Paton and Coffield played in both.

I'd keep Robbo in and play him as that 3rd defender/half back which he didnt do in rd1. Carlisle, Webster and Battle in with Paton, Wilkie and Ryder out. It's harsh on Wilkie who has done nothing wrong but I just favour Robbo's more attacking and creative ball movement over Wilkie who is a bit more conservative. That said with Webster, Long and Clark all in the backline, we probably dont need Robbo's attacking style as much and Wilkie being more defensively minded could make us more more balanced back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back