Preview Round 2, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th June, 6:05PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget Hill

On DUB-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hill is quick enough but his endurance is his real weapon, 30 minutes into a quarter he's still going full pelt. Hind is an absolute rocket. I still remember watching him play VFL before we drafted him, he looked like a video game when you hit turbo boost mode. You expect a line of flames to be left in his wake.

Forward coach N riewoldt
Mid coach l montagna
Back coach m Hutchison
Not sure if they can all coach but fck it thay blead red whit & black

On INE-LX2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
He's decided to go down the media lane but Montagna's ability to coach was constantly talked up when he was still playing. Apparently a really good football communicator.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I've seen one game of Jones in the red white and black and can tell you he's a much better mid than Dunstan. I thought he was extremely promising in that first game. He has really good breakaway speed and strength. Sprayed some kicks, but he looks a really good pickup to me.

I think if you look at round 1, we had Hannebery playing across halfback a bit, and Ross actually spent some time there aswell. Maybe they've assessed that our midfield balance wasn't right - if Hannebery is hitting form then we need him in the middle as much as possible.

Late to the party but if Luke Dunstan is still in and out of a bottom six team after 6 seasons time may be up.
He won't get better and should only be used for injury back up.

I know it wasn't possible but would rather have kept Acres and got rid of Dunstan.

I've seen one game of Jones in the red white and black and can tell you he's a much better mid than Dunstan. I thought he was extremely promising in that first game. He has really good breakaway speed and strength. Sprayed some kicks, but he looks a really good pickup to me.

I think if you look at round 1, we had Hannebery playing across halfback a bit, and Ross actually spent some time there aswell. Maybe they've assessed that our midfield balance wasn't right - if Hannebery is hitting form then we need him in the middle as much as possible.
Zac Jones gets the ball and has breakaway speed which Dunstan doesn't have.

We just need the new found speed in the team to gel and it should hurt a lot of teams.
Having elusive speed like Long , Jones , Hill , Hind and players who can find space like Gresham , Hunter Clark we are a far different side than what we where in the past.

Just having Carlisle back in the team will totally strengthen our back line - whatever people say about Carlisle the guy is a leader and his presents just gives the other guys in the back line confidence.

I really hate the way the AFL have dumbed down their stats system and made it so you can't look at previous seasons stats, or team stats. Even the game day page sucks. Why is it that computer people always seem to need to change stuff for no good purpose.

In the first game this season, not that i can remember that long ago, Dunstan was putrid, it was Jones getting as many clearances as he normally did.
Back in 2016 we had all of Armitage , Steven and to a lesser extent Dunstan rucking up those sorts of clearances though, and that was when we nearly made finals.

Jones replaces Steven maybe, Hannebery and maybe Clark are a bit more polish than Armitage ever was. I still want a midfield bull that can effectively replace Dunstan.
Dunstan reminds me of Brock McLean. He digs away at the coal face, and not good enough other areas to be considered a good player.

Last edited:
Late to the party but if Luke Dunstan is still in and out of a bottom six team after 6 seasons time may be up.
He won't get better and should only be used for injury back up.

I know it wasn't possible but would rather have kept Acres and got rid of Dunstan.

Blake 11 disposals Acres? That one?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looked explosive out of the middle against the Roos. Looked like his brother in the old days.

As long as you stopped watching where the ball went after he got rid of it.

Having said that though- i really hope jones can find it ~30 times a game, we desperately need someone in the guts who can win the pill a lot and get it moving our way- no matter how crappy their disposal is.

For me, jones' pass mark is a minimum of 23 touches, majority contested.

Anything less than that on average across the next few weeks and we drop him and try someone else fulltime in the centre square.
(Eg clark, paton, coff, dunstan, billings, gresh)

They have the same pass mark criteria in there as jones had.

Win the ball- LOTS of it.

Last edited:
As long as you stopped watching where the ball went after he got rid of it.

Having said that though- i really hope jones can find it ~30 times a game, we desperately need someone in the guts who can win the pill a lot and get it moving our way- no matter how crappy their disposal is.

For me, jones' pass mark is a minimum of 23 touches, majority contested.

Anything less than that on average across the next few weeks and we drop him and try someone else fulltime in the centre square.
(Eg clark, paton, coff, dunstan, billings, gresh)

They have the same pass mark criteria in there as jones had.

Win the ball- LOTS of it.

I thought Jones was okay with his disposal apart from kicking on goal. https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-st-kilda-saints--zak-jones

● Ranked 15th in Total Clearances ● Ranked 7th in Total Stoppage Clearances
● Ranked 18th in Total Tackles Inside 50 ● Ranked 18th in AFL Fantasy Score Per Game
● Ranked 13th in Contested Possessions Per Game ● Ranked 9th in Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 3rd in Stoppage Clearances Per Game ● Ranked 7th in Score Involvements Per Game
● Ranked 13th in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

I'm still in shock about seeing 3 significant and justified changes.
I guess I've just been conditioned to expecting the same thing week in week out.

I figured Jones was recruited to replace Dunny so good'o, let's see what it looks like.
I assume Hunter will be moved to full time mid, leaving Coff, Long and Paton as our small backs which is gets me a bit firm..

I think for the first time in a while, with these 3 youngsters lining up, I'm happy to have Gears there to keep them organized.
To me this is what development looks like.
With Gears and Wilkie playing accountable, the young blokes can play with some freedom and attack, and it just seems better balanced, specially with Jake coming in too..

I'm pretty ECO on the results this year, l just want to progress. Bytel and Byrnes coming soon..

I guess I've just been conditioned to expecting the same thing week in week out.

I figured Jones was recruited to replace Dunny so good'o, let's see what it looks like.
I assume Hunter will be moved to full time mid, leaving Coff, Long and Paton as our small backs which is gets me a bit firm..

I think for the first time in a while, with these 3 youngsters lining up, I'm happy to have Gears there to keep them organized.
With Gears and Wilkie playing accountable, the young blokes can play with some freedom and attack, and it just seems better balanced, specially with Jake coming in too..

I'm pretty ECO on the results this year, l just want to progress. Bytel and Byrnes coming soon..

We look very inexperienced down back though. That's a bit of a nerve wracking line up. They need games though.

I like the changes. Feels like the first time in 4-5 years where we have some good players miss out on selection - that can only be a good thing.

in terms of the two rucks, I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Especially when both are quality.

Collingwood played Grundy & Cameron
Richmond played Soldo & Lynch
Geelong played Stanley & Ratugolea
Hawks played McEvoy & Ceglar
Brisbane are playing Martin & McInerney
Freo are playing Ryan & Lobb

Perhaps the only area we might be top heavy in is the backline. However Howard and Wilkie seem pretty versatile. Carlisle is the only real slow one out of them.

We really only have six genuine bigs - and all of them can take a grab.
Marshall, Ryder, King, Howard, Carlisle and Wilkie. I wouldn’t count Membrey as a genuine big. He’s a real hybrid and I love that.

With the additions we made in the offseason plus some of the young guys, we have genuine pace now to go around these big guys.

HillButler have real, genuine speed.
Jones has a level of breakaway speed that Dunstan can only dream of.
Coff, Clark & Long all provide some legs across half back.

I think we’re actually really well balanced.

The pressure we put on the Roos in the first half was suffocating. If the Dogs try and run and gun against us we could stifle them. If we slow them down and they’re forced to kicking it down the line, we have enough bigs with good hands to win back possession.

I'm glad Hind is getting a run, but jeez that looks like one top-heavy slow team.
I reckon we're going to look pretty quick, so let's see in the game. My theory is that having some very quick players in the team makes the whole team look quick. Hind, Butler, Jones, Hill, Long, Coffield are all very quick. Members is also deceptively quick and we have Winx of course.

I'm glad Hind is getting a run, but jeez that looks like one top-heavy slow team.
I reckon we're going to look pretty quick, so let's see in the game. My theory is that having some very quick players in the team makes the whole team look quick. Hind, Butler, Jones, Hill, Long, Coffield are all very quick. Members is also deceptively quick and we have Winx of course.

Are we playing 2 rucks or are we playing 1 tall mid Marshall and a ruck in ryder.

Marshal is the clearance pig we need.
Honestly wouldn’t mind seeing both Ryder and Marshall in the square together at some point

Because none of Paton, Sinclair, Coffield or Webster have the physical frame to be that inside, bull midfielder. They are all running players so it would be a waste of time trying to turn them into something they will never be.

Tom mitchell and matt crouch are hardly huge units and they get the inside ball by the truckload without breaking a sweat.

I have high hopes for gresh, paton, clark and to a lesser degree coff making excellent inside/outside mids in the future.

They all have excellent vision, creativity and (for young players) great composure in traffic.

I also think billings should be given a crack at playing centre square mid- his contested work took a big leap forward last year, and he should be trialed in there to see how he goes

It’s funny how we think we see a difference with a new coach. Last year we averaged around 3 changes per game until richo left. Now because we want to see good in a new coach we think there are 3 significant changes. You could find plenty of weeks last year where we had significant changes but we want to think Ratten is the man. Maybe helps that ratten also has 5 ready made players that weren’t here last year. Dunstan was dropped last year. Robbo didn’t play and butler probably replaces Kent. Butler wasn’t there last year. And battle who is young and very promising can’t get a game. Yep clearly rats has richo
Covered. Pity he didn’t try and stop Cunnington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back