Preview Round 2, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th June, 6:05PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is probably because there is no proof. We are in debt, our supporters want to help, and the club set up a way in which that can be facilitated.

If there was talk of a merger or relocation, it would've hit mainstream media by this point, given how big of a story that would be. Our current TV deal sees the league running an 18 team competition. If this were to change we would be in breach of contract.

Carlton have the traditional opening round of the year against Richmond (and they get pumped every year), but after that? If memory serves me correctly they were the only club to not have a Friday night game two years running (2018 and 2019).

Yearly the fixture must include two matches between all of Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon - the traditional "big four" rivals. ANZAC day is given to Collingwood & Essendon because of Kevin Sheedy's influence to include it in a yearly fixture from back in '95. We have been given the honour of playing on this occasion many times whilst we have been a poor side - there have only been five Victorian clubs in 25 years that have played ANZAC day and we are one of them.

Our results on ANZAC day since we were given the opportunity?;
2013 - 16pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 22,546)
2014 - 3pt loss v Brisbane (Crowd: 13,409)
2015 - 40pt loss v Carlton (Crowd: 12,125)

Then we got the opportunity to play on Easter weekend. The result was a 52pt loss to North Melbourne.

Whilst it doesn't get as much media coverage as other big games, the Pride Game is a big earner for the club. Here's our results since the inception of this game;
2016 - 70pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 33,059)
2017 - 42pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 35,773)
2018 - 71pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 27,569)
2019 - 45pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 33,722)

Lets throw in Maddies Match as well, that has become a somewhat of a marquee game on the calendar and our biggest money making game of the year.
2015 - 16pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 45,772)
2016 - 57pt loss v Western Bulldogs (Crowd: 37,353)
2017 - 67pt win v Richmond (Crowd: 47,514)
2018 - 54pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 36,269)
2019 - 33pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 40,962)

We have been given opportunities to perform in prime slots and we have lost every game, and the reason I added the attendance to those figures is to show you we haven't been able to capitalise on the event by drawing big crowds.

We then got the opportunity last year to play our first ever game in China, replacing the Gold Coast Suns. We lost that game by 70 points.

Since 2013 we have played in 14 marquee games (Won 1, Lost 13) and our average losing margin in marquee games is 44 points. Our average attendance is 30,675.

Now you tell me why a business (the AFL) would continuously offer primetime slots to a club that has produced these kinds of results in such games?

We get what we deserve. I love the club just as much as anyone and defend them where I can but the results speak for themselves and show reason to why we don't dominate Friday or Saturday night football.

Similarly, if we play well and are an exciting team to watch, we are awarded with FTA coverage - just like we were in the mid 2000's.

All this talk of conspiracy is nonsense. AFL want a thriving 18 team competition where every year every side has the chance to win the flag.

Whilst we have underperformed, we are an integral part of the AFL and we need to look at ourselves as such. We need to walk the walk. We need to play better football.
Not forgetting we lost every game in NZ. The club historically just keeps stuffing up when a big occasion occurs. We can only hope that Ratts gets better results.

Not forgetting we lost every game in NZ. The club historically just keeps stuffing up when a big occasion occurs. We can only hope that Ratts gets better results.
Not many times i agree with you George but you have just put everything myself and a few others have been saying in black and white for all to read and understand , thank you.
Time for the Saints to put their big boy pants on and start winning some games

Last edited:
Is there a chance the Dogs are a bit overrated? Brilliant midfield but not sure they're that good otherwise.

This is a big game for them as well as us. If we beat them then there'll be huge question marks on their quality.

did they? how so?

they signed up for a regular home and away season and coverage across all forms of media, which includes free to air and what our expected attendance would be at stadia.

that hasn't happened, which makes free to air even more important. its about maximising the exposure. you have to give a return.
again we have been given the fixture for the first 5 rounds .... we didnt get a FTA game that doesnt mean we wont in the next release of fixtures .. so we are kind of getting outraged over nothing at the moment ...
as for the sponsors they would have known very clearly from past seasons that our exposure to the friday night game is historically porr they would know we are not getting blockbuster games and they would have a fair idea that as far as exposure go's what they are paying for by being part of St Kilda is going to be less than the exposure if they paid for Collingwood ... thats sponsorship ... the COVID no one would have expected to impact our game like it has but the sponsors would be or should be wise enough to understand if the were a 4th tier exposure team every other year then when the pandemic hits that we wouldnt magically jump to being a second tier exposure team ... our exposure will be exponentially lessened in line with the competiton so if Collingwood are getting 60% less exposure due to the virus so would St Kilda all be it from a lower starting point ...
but hey im sure you will find a way to blame Finnis for it

Is there a chance the Dogs are a bit overrated? Brilliant midfield but not sure they're that good otherwise.

This is a big game for them as well as us. If we beat them then there'll be huge question marks on their quality.
Their great strength is our weak spot. Tipping the Dogs on that alone basically. I feel like we need to do to them what North did to us in Round 1 after HT and create plenty of contests and numbers to halt their run and carry.

Well they should be better than last year. Obviously they weren't round one. I think they are a very balanced side myself.

Well they should be better than last year. Obviously they weren't round one. I think they are a very balanced side myself.
Agreed they should be better but I don't think they were that good last year. They lost to the Gold Coast at home and also lost to Carlton and of course us. Got to finals in 7th but really found out in that game against GWS.

If Naughton is out then their forward line looks pretty weak to me. Keath is a good pick up for them in the backline.

Agreed they should be better but I don't think they were that good last year. They lost to the Gold Coast at home and also lost to Carlton and of course us. Got to finals in 7th but really found out in that game against GWS.

If Naughton is out then their forward line looks pretty weak to me. Keath is a good pick up for them in the backline.

I really rate Bruce as a vital player and was upset to lose him.

I really rate Bruce as a vital player and was upset to lose him.
If Naughton is out they'll be thanking their lucky stars for having Bruce. I guess Schache is the other one that can be ok at times.

Dougal Howard on Bruce will be a really interesting matchup, the two new guys with a point to prove.

Their great strength is our weak spot. Tipping the Dogs on that alone basically. I feel like we need to do to them what North did to us in Round 1 after HT and create plenty of contests and numbers to halt their run and carry.
The Dogs use a pretty good flowing game plan, but if you disrupt that run, they get caught out.. must win one-on-one contests in the middle(though we botched that against North in the second half)

This is probably because there is no proof. We are in debt, our supporters want to help, and the club set up a way in which that can be facilitated.

If there was talk of a merger or relocation, it would've hit mainstream media by this point, given how big of a story that would be. Our current TV deal sees the league running an 18 team competition. If this were to change we would be in breach of contract.

Carlton have the traditional opening round of the year against Richmond (and they get pumped every year), but after that? If memory serves me correctly they were the only club to not have a Friday night game two years running (2018 and 2019).

Yearly the fixture must include two matches between all of Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood and Essendon - the traditional "big four" rivals. ANZAC day is given to Collingwood & Essendon because of Kevin Sheedy's influence to include it in a yearly fixture from back in '95. We have been given the honour of playing on this occasion many times whilst we have been a poor side - there have only been five Victorian clubs in 25 years that have played ANZAC day and we are one of them.

Our results on ANZAC day since we were given the opportunity?;
2013 - 16pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 22,546)
2014 - 3pt loss v Brisbane (Crowd: 13,409)
2015 - 40pt loss v Carlton (Crowd: 12,125)

Then we got the opportunity to play on Easter weekend. The result was a 52pt loss to North Melbourne.

Whilst it doesn't get as much media coverage as other big games, the Pride Game is a big earner for the club. Here's our results since the inception of this game;
2016 - 70pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 33,059)
2017 - 42pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 35,773)
2018 - 71pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 27,569)
2019 - 45pt loss v Sydney (Crowd: 33,722)

Lets throw in Maddies Match as well, that has become a somewhat of a marquee game on the calendar and our biggest money making game of the year.
2015 - 16pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 45,772)
2016 - 57pt loss v Western Bulldogs (Crowd: 37,353)
2017 - 67pt win v Richmond (Crowd: 47,514)
2018 - 54pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 36,269)
2019 - 33pt loss v Richmond (Crowd: 40,962)

We have been given opportunities to perform in prime slots and we have lost every game, and the reason I added the attendance to those figures is to show you we haven't been able to capitalise on the event by drawing big crowds.

We then got the opportunity last year to play our first ever game in China, replacing the Gold Coast Suns. We lost that game by 70 points.

Since 2013 we have played in 14 marquee games (Won 1, Lost 13) and our average losing margin in marquee games is 44 points. Our average attendance is 30,675.

Now you tell me why a business (the AFL) would continuously offer primetime slots to a club that has produced these kinds of results in such games?

We get what we deserve. I love the club just as much as anyone and defend them where I can but the results speak for themselves and show reason to why we don't dominate Friday or Saturday night football.

Similarly, if we play well and are an exciting team to watch, we are awarded with FTA coverage - just like we were in the mid 2000's.

All this talk of conspiracy is nonsense. AFL want a thriving 18 team competition where every year every side has the chance to win the flag.

Whilst we have underperformed, we are an integral part of the AFL and we need to look at ourselves as such. We need to walk the walk. We need to play better football.
I agree with you but here's the thing. The AFL are like the United Nations. They make the rules BUT THEY ONLY ENFORCE THEM WHEN IT SUITS THEM.

Just to elaborate further, Carlton have been by far, much worse than us and for much longer. Why do they have the opening round year after year? Why hasn't the UN (oh sorry, AFL) taken that game away from them like they did to us with Good Friday.

And Melbourne has been a complete basket case over the years. Actually they have been nothing short of PATHETIC. Why hasn't the UN taken the Queens birthday game off them? Do you remember one particular game at Waverly against Hawthorn from memory when they let too many people in and we ended up with 90,000 there. And a game at the MCG against Collingwood when there were 80,000 people there and the closed the gates and the estimate was that 20,000 people were turned away? I remember both of those games because I was there.

The UN has turned us into a small club with their systematic cheating via FIXture, crap Time-slots, number of Interstate trips and lack of FTA.

I will say it again, IF WE SUPPORTERS DON'T GET OFF OUR AR$# WITHIN THE NEXT 24 MONTHS, our club will be forced to either relocate or (an even worse scenario), merge.

PS, It infuriates me when people say that the we are safe because the AFL need 18 teams. WRONG, if one team dies then Tassie are straight in.

I agree with you but here's the thing. The AFL are like the United Nations. They make the rules BUT THEY ONLY ENFORCE THEM WHEN IT SUITS THEM.

Just to elaborate further, Carlton have been by far, much worse than us and for much longer. Why do they have the opening round year after year? Why hasn't the UN (oh sorry, AFL) taken that game away from them like they did to us with Good Friday.

And Melbourne has been a complete basket case over the years. Actually they have been nothing short of PATHETIC. Why hasn't the UN taken the Queens birthday game off them? Do you remember one particular game at Waverly against Hawthorn from memory when they let too many people in and we ended up with 90,000 there. And a game at the MCG against Collingwood when there were 80,000 people there and the closed the gates and the estimate was that 20,000 people were turned away? I remember both of those games because I was there.

The UN has turned us into a small club with their systematic cheating via FIXture, crap Time-slots, number of Interstate trips and lack of FTA.

I will say it again, IF WE SUPPORTERS DON'T GET OFF OUR AR$# WITHIN THE NEXT 24 MONTHS, our club will be forced to either relocate or (an even worse scenario), merge.

PS, It infuriates me when people say that the we are safe because the AFL need 18 teams. WRONG, if one team dies then Tassie are straight in.

I think ok is the right answer to that post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That game was genuinely the worst game of football I've ever watched.
The week before was almost as gut wrenching. I remember being down against Brisbane in round 1 (who were tipped as spoon contenders) and thinking “we’ve failed this rebuild” but we ended up winning.....turns out I was right a week later. *tears*

If we can't beat these pretenders we may as well go back into isolation for 2 months.

I want a 50 point win at the very least.

I'm not sold on Bevo any more. He's had a rebuild of the premiership list which some might suggest was a lot of luck landing in their lap and with probably better sides since but hasn't managed to get back to the top. I reckon he could be in trouble if they fail to fire this season.

I'm not sold on Bevo any more. He's had a rebuild of the premiership list which some might suggest was a lot of luck landing in their lap and with probably better sides since but hasn't managed to get back to the top. I reckon he could be in trouble if they fail to fire this season.

Bevo is a star coach. I think we will see that over the next few years.

Bevo is a star coach. I think we will see that over the next few years.

He's got the list for it now, if he doesn't make something of it he'll be gone like all coaches.

Our side actually looks good on paper!

But you know what you can do with paper!
I just made an awful mess with it. Hope Ratts fares better!
I'm interested if Carlisle comes back into the team - I really feel he needs to be in the side , he is one of the best intercept defenders around , it all comes down to if the guy is fit I suppose.

Also Battle has to play and in the forward line in the position he was drafted for.

Ryder is a topline ruckman and after getting in the best condition he has been in for a few years do we let him waste on the side lines , knowing time is not on his side. - I would love to see him in the team , but Marshall has his position.

plenty of tough decisions to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back