Preview Round 2, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th June, 6:05PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old poor us has started already , if we start playing some decent watchable football everything else will take care of itself , we have pretty much been crap for Seven years yet some think we should get prime spots and Tv Coverage , unfortunately that is how life rolls these days , its in our own hands to turn it around
Carlton have been getting better fixtures then us and they have been a dumpster fire since 2014 too.

The AFL cares about their bonus' and big teams.

I can't agree mate. I have family who don't have the sports package on Foxtel and only tune in if we're in a primetime FTA slot. Friday or Saturday nights. Otherwise they get the result through the app or just by asking me. Diehards will find a way to watch the games regardless but I reckon there's thousands out there in a similar position to those in my family. They support the Saints but won't go out of their way if they don't have to.

It's a separate argument to if we will make less money than other clubs or not (for this year specifically). The only thing this may have an impact on is sponsors but I am sure sponsors and potential sponsors are aware this is a once in a lifetime occurrence and if the AFL doesn't do what they need to do to keep the competition afloat, sponsors won't even have the opportunity to partner with a club.

Yeah, I know a few people who are fans who would watch it on FTA but wouldn't bother paying to watch. There are probably more half arsed fans than fanatics out there. That's why we never cash in on the vast army of Saints fans in the community.

EFA

go listen to Matt Finnis's interview
at least i can admit im not an expert when im not an expert :rolleyes: ...

fact remains our current sponsors signed up as sponsors in full knowledge that the exposure of their brand was not going to be PRIME TIME exposure to start off with so the COVID implications while in this first block of games is not great for FTA exposure i wouldnt expect they would be that surprised by it ... i think in honesty Finnis is being a bit somewhat cheeky in his response mentioning the sponsorship impilcations and perhaps was using that as leverage for the next block of games to be released

IMO I thought Matt Finnis was very clever in the interview regarding FTA, not once did he complain that the AFL & Channel 7 were being unfair, but in bringing up the subject he put us right before their eyes. Hopefully the next group of matches will bear the fruit that Matt sowed.

Yeah, I know a few people who are fans who would watch it on FTA but wouldn't bother paying to watch. There are probably more half arsed fans than fanatics out there. That's why we never cash in on the vast army of Saints fans in the community.
I think that's probably true for most clubs too.

I can't agree mate. I have family who don't have the sports package on Foxtel and only tune in if we're in a primetime FTA slot. Friday or Saturday nights. Otherwise they get the result through the app or just by asking me. Diehards will find a way to watch the games regardless but I reckon there's thousands out there in a similar position to those in my family. They support the Saints but won't go out of their way if they don't have to.

It's a separate argument to if we will make less money than other clubs or not (for this year specifically). The only thing this may have an impact on is sponsors but I am sure sponsors and potential sponsors are aware this is a once in a lifetime occurrence and if the AFL doesn't do what they need to do to keep the competition afloat, sponsors won't even have the opportunity to partner with a club.
look im sure thats the case for casual observers of the game but by the same rate we would capture (pre COVID) causal observers who would watch at the pub on the foxtel telecast .. we would also have casual observers who would potentially change channel if on FTA ... its not an exact fact on how it impacts or doesnt impact... look it sure is nice to be on FTA but when we are not i dont think the impact now in 2020 is as bad as it was say 10 - 15 years ago and the fact is the future of sport on TV is going to be less and less FTA and more pushed towards the subscription viewing...
the other point being everyone is getting all worked up over the first block of games not having a FTA aspect ... what if the next block is us on FTA each week ? look im not going to pretend its a great thing for us but i also dont subscribe to the thought that its som conspiricy against us or do i give the woe is us whining much air ...
is it great - no
is it disaster - no

its a topic that has shifting goalposts, Saints are crap and we don't get the exposure because we play crap footy, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon have been crap and get the exposure because "big club". at what point do we get fairness in the equation.

I can agree with the crap football theory but it's a rule that simply doesn't stack up upon scrutiny, the big clubs play s**t brands of footy as well. Carlton Richmond has been a s**t game for years but still its 1st up every year, Queens b'day, Anzac day, the Indigenous game have all dished up utter tripe over the years, yet still billed as "blockbuster"

perception is reality and the AFL has been spreading the perception for far too long now that it's accepted as reality by the media and public

look im sure thats the case for casual observers of the game but by the same rate we would capture (pre COVID) causal observers who would watch at the pub on the foxtel telecast .. we would also have casual observers who would potentially change channel if on FTA ... its not an exact fact on how it impacts or doesnt impact... look it sure is nice to be on FTA but when we are not i dont think the impact now in 2020 is as bad as it was say 10 - 15 years ago and the fact is the future of sport on TV is going to be less and less FTA and more pushed towards the subscription viewing...
the other point being everyone is getting all worked up over the first block of games not having a FTA aspect ... what if the next block is us on FTA each week ? look im not going to pretend its a great thing for us but i also dont subscribe to the thought that its som conspiricy against us or do i give the woe is us whining much air ...
is it great - no
is it disaster - no
I think it's just common sense to suggest viewership would be higher on FTA.

20 people watching at a pub actually hurts viewership because it's not counted as 20 viewers it's counted as 1.

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy there's something happening behind the scenes to push us out of the way, I think that's nonsense. Like you said, our sponsors became sponsors knowing full well that we traditionally don't get much FTA exposure. Only way we rectify it is to play well, AFL has every right to fixture the league how they want, and in a season where viewership is more important than ever, I don't really care what end of the stick we get if it means the competition stays alive.

Jack Steele sounds like he's borderline and haven't herd whether Long and Gresham are back in training yet. A few sound like they might be a bit rusty or in doubt.

Jack Steele sounds like he's borderline and haven't herd whether Long and Gresham are back in training yet. A few sound like they might be a bit rusty or in doubt.
Long and Gresham trained today. Gresh however didn’t complete the session.

Steele’s is minor. They think he should be back next week.

its a topic that has shifting goalposts, Saints are crap and we don't get the exposure because we play crap footy, Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon have been crap and get the exposure because "big club". at what point do we get fairness in the equation.

I can agree with the crap football theory but it's a rule that simply doesn't stack up upon scrutiny, the big clubs play s**t brands of footy as well. Carlton Richmond has been a s**t game for years but still its 1st up every year, Queens b'day, Anzac day, the Indigenous game have all dished up utter tripe over the years, yet still billed as "blockbuster"

perception is reality and the AFL has been spreading the perception for far too long now that it's accepted as reality by the media and public
it comes down to the bums on seats ....
we have a poor season and we play to empty stadiums ... Collingwood have a poor season they still get good crowds to the game ...

most organisations work on measurables not perceptions so while perception was that Carlton and Richmond were playing poor games the measureables were that they had more fans in the stands then the playing better saints had...

Steele had surgery... That went under the radar 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at least i can admit im not an expert when im not an expert :rolleyes: ...

fact remains our current sponsors signed up as sponsors in full knowledge that the exposure of their brand was not going to be PRIME TIME exposure to start off with so the COVID implications while in this first block of games is not great for FTA exposure i wouldnt expect they would be that surprised by it ... i think in honesty Finnis is being a bit somewhat cheeky in his response mentioning the sponsorship impilcations and perhaps was using that as leverage for the next block of games to be released

did they? how so?

they signed up for a regular home and away season and coverage across all forms of media, which includes free to air and what our expected attendance would be at stadia.

that hasn't happened, which makes free to air even more important. its about maximising the exposure. you have to give a return.

I think it's just common sense to suggest viewership would be higher on FTA.

20 people watching at a pub actually hurts viewership because it's not counted as 20 viewers it's counted as 1.

I don't subscribe to the conspiracy there's something happening behind the scenes to push us out of the way, I think that's nonsense. Like you said, our sponsors became sponsors knowing full well that we traditionally don't get much FTA exposure. Only way we rectify it is to play well, AFL has every right to fixture the league how they want, and in a season where viewership is more important than ever, I don't really care what end of the stick we get if it means the competition stays alive.

Yep, when we were a top side we got lots of games on FTA TV, we just need to play an attractive brand and the spots will come back. Stations like a side on the rise as much as a top team. We even got a boost under Richo when it looked like we might play finals.

IMO I thought Matt Finnis was very clever in the interview regarding FTA, not once did he complain that the AFL & Channel 7 were being unfair, but in bringing up the subject he put us right before their eyes. Hopefully the next group of matches will bear the fruit that Matt sowed.
Well that’s simply up to us. It’s a 2 week fixture next time they do it. Maybe 4 but they do it in 2 weeks. We don’t have to win both or even one but we do have to play a better brand of footy if we do lose to get fta. Don’t worry channel 7 are controlling this fixture and so they should. It’s up to us to preferably win but if we don’t lose in an exciting manner. If we play like crap then we don’t deserve fta

If we have an additional 2 spots on the bench available, what should our strategy be for using them? Additional impact players like Parker / Hind, or midfield depth like Bytel?

If we have an additional 2 spots on the bench available, what should our strategy be for using them? Additional impact players like Parker / Hind, or midfield depth like Bytel?
I don’t think there is any chance of 2 additional players on the bench unless there is another stoppage. If there is then a second ruck and a mid.

The less break time could actually work in our favour. We should be sharper. No reason our players won't have recovered, their players may find the extended break strange. After such a long layoff I think teams will prefer playing than resting. If we beat the Dogs then the 6 day break into Pies could actually be a godsend.
That is absolute rubbish lewdogs. This is a contact sport and a team that has a 9 day break playing a team off a 6 day break has the odds stacked in their favour.

That is absolute rubbish lewdogs. This is a contact sport and a team that has a 9 day break playing a team off a 6 day break has the odds stacked in their favour.
Maybe wait until we play the bulldogs before worrying about breaks between games. At the moment it’s stacked in their favour because of ability not time between games.

Well that’s simply up to us. It’s a 2 week fixture next time they do it. Maybe 4 but they do it in 2 weeks. We don’t have to win both or even one but we do have to play a better brand of footy if we do lose to get fta. Don’t worry channel 7 are controlling this fixture and so they should. It’s up to us to preferably win but if we don’t lose in an exciting manner. If we play like crap then we don’t deserve fta

I agree with everything you say, but think Finnis comments were probably put out there for the media to at least look at us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back