Preview Round 2, 2020: St.Kilda v Western Bulldogs - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 14th June, 6:05PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
St Kilda

In: Josh Battle
Out: Paddy Ryder (omitted)

B: Jarryn Geary, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie
HB: Hunter Clark, Dylan Roberton, Ben Long
C: Jack Billings, Jack Steele, Bradley Hill
HF: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent
F: Dan Butler, Max King, Jack Lonie
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Seb Ross, Dan Hannebery
I/C: Josh Battle, Luke Dunstan, Zak Jones, Ben Paton

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Webster, Nick Coffield
Unavailable: Nil

Brett Ratten has hinted at going with one ruckman and the Saints could back Marshall to go head-to-head against Tim English and leave Ryder out, especially with Collingwood to come off a six-day break. Battle adds flexibility, while Paton and Wilkie did little wrong to be dislodged for Webster, Coffield or Jake Carlisle.

- Mitch Cleary Www.afl.com.au
Weird to say but I totally agree with everything Mitch said then.

Never been a fan of lots of changes after one loss especially after round one which always has weird results that aren't always indicative of where a team is at.

We were up by 30 at half time so there was a serious portion of the game where the team was working well.

Battle only hasn't been in my team's due to balance but if Ryder comes out he's the obvious replacement.

On Pixel 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with most of this with Gresham the exception
Not sure that is even a thing anymore let alone reason to not be captain

Someone suggested he's not the hardest worker at the club.

St Kilda

In: Josh Battle
Out: Paddy Ryder (omitted)

B: Jarryn Geary, Dougal Howard, Callum Wilkie
HB: Hunter Clark, Dylan Roberton, Ben Long
C: Jack Billings, Jack Steele, Bradley Hill
HF: Jade Gresham, Tim Membrey, Dean Kent
F: Dan Butler, Max King, Jack Lonie
Foll: Rowan Marshall, Seb Ross, Dan Hannebery
I/C: Josh Battle, Luke Dunstan, Zak Jones, Ben Paton

Emerg: Jack Sinclair, Paddy Ryder, Jimmy Webster, Nick Coffield
Unavailable: Nil

Brett Ratten has hinted at going with one ruckman and the Saints could back Marshall to go head-to-head against Tim English and leave Ryder out, especially with Collingwood to come off a six-day break. Battle adds flexibility, while Paton and Wilkie did little wrong to be dislodged for Webster, Coffield or Jake Carlisle.

- Mitch Cleary Www.afl.com.au
I just don't see how Carlisle doesn't make the team if he's fit. That side has Roberton at CHB, which is pretty much what we went with in round 1 and failed miserably. Carlisle has to come in, he makes us better and is actually one of our best players. Really don't like the look of that backline to be honest.

Again I don't understand why you took issue with what I said. He is captain. He won't play reserves. The question was best 22. Geary is best 22. Can't remember the last time he played reserves because of form.

Again no idea why you've gone on this tangent about him. Do you disagree that the captain of our football club should be on the team sheet? Haha.
What most of us are going on about is that Geary being captain is questionable at best. The reason being he is borderline best 22 and because he is captain irrespective of his form he will not be dropped. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If we was an out and out champion like our previous captains of the last 30 years and like the captains of the other 16 clubs then it wouldn't be such an issue. With the exception of Port Adelaide which ironically is where Richo is from WHICH IS WHAT ENCLOSED_ANIMAL was trying to point out.

I'm saying the reason captains don't play seconds isn't because they are captains, it is because they are gun footballers AND captains. Above I was noting that every captain we have had for the last 30 years has also been a gun footballer. The current captains of 16 other clubs are gun footballers.

Dropping a captain like Geary is simply not an equivalent argument to Freo dropping Fyfe, or Collingwood dropping Pendles. Geary is not also an out and out champion like those names. Geary is a clear exception both among captains in our history, and in the current league more broadly. Hence the same rules don't apply to him.

Not saying he should be dropped. Just saying that (unlike players that are a gun AND captain) just being captain doesn't make him immune from the axe. It is the 'and' that is important here.

Actually agree with both you & George on different points .

Just me would have had Hannebery in a heartbeat , probably not considered not because of his age ,
but because of his brutal honesty of standards to other teammates.

Membrey was coming with withering wet sail for mine this pre season , arrived this preseason in November
in magnificent condition and over summer was driving standards for me this year we needed a change.

My beef really was Ratts actually drove the dialogue look back at the preseason , stands up in front of the
playing group states clearly to young players train hard play well in pre season , match simulation and
Geary’s spot is yours ( not my words his ) one of the young players early on was Outstanding on the
Wing ...Langlands .....the Other players that stood out were Coffield & Paton .

Geary , Ross & Webster all were underdone over preseason that is an indisputable fact .
None of the Senior group is fighting for their spot ..they’re just words.
Its done ...for me ...lets see how it pans out .......it’s the same as Einstein......-Insanity
“Doing the same thing over & over expecting different result “

Actually agree with both you & George on different points .

Just me would have had Hannebery in a heartbeat , probably not considered not because of his age ,
but because of his brutal honesty of standards to other teammates.

Membrey was coming with withering wet sail for mine this pre season , arrived this preseason in November
in magnificent condition and over summer was driving standards for me this year we needed a change.

My beef really was Ratts actually drove the dialogue look back at the preseason , stands up in front of the
playing group states clearly to young players train hard play well in pre season , match simulation and
Geary’s spot is yours ( not my words his ) one of the young players early on was Outstanding on the
Wing ...Langlands .....the Other players that stood out were Coffield & Paton .

Geary , Ross & Webster all were underdone over preseason that is an indisputable fact .
None of the Senior group is fighting for their spot ..they’re just words.
Its done ...for me ...lets see how it pans out .......it’s the same as Einstein......-Insanity
“Doing the same thing over & over expecting different result “
Geary has got in good shape during the Covid shutdown , but being 32 let's just see how many games he plays - he only play 5 last year.
As we know a aging body doesn't handle the knocks that well.
I would put money on Paton or Coffield taking his position in the side.

I was hoping Carlisle would be a shining light for us this year but he didn't even play due to a cold , so by the looks they played Battle down back again and I was really hoping he would be tuning up as a forward for us this year.

It may not happen this year but this is what it could be next year.

Paton - Wilkie - Roberton
Long - Howard - Coffield
Billings - Hannebery - Hill
Gresham - Battle - Jones
Lonie - Membery - King

Marshall - Ross - Hunter Clark

Dunstan , Steele , Butler , Bytel

I just don't see how Carlisle doesn't make the team if he's fit. That side has Roberton at CHB, which is pretty much what we went with in round 1 and failed miserably. Carlisle has to come in, he makes us better and is actually one of our best players. Really don't like the look of that backline to be honest.

Robbo played his best football (ie AA squad level in a crap team) as an intercept CHB.

I love your team Premium but if Carlisle is fit he plays instead of Roberton I reckon. Either way it will never happen because unfortunately Geary is in every week regardless of form.

Long - Howard - Coffield
Gresham - Battle - Jones
Lonie - Membery - King

What most of us are going on about is that Geary being captain is questionable at best. The reason being he is borderline best 22 and because he is captain irrespective of his form he will not be dropped. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. If we was an out and out champion like our previous captains of the last 30 years and like the captains of the other 16 clubs then it wouldn't be such an issue. With the exception of Port Adelaide which ironically is where Richo is from WHICH IS WHAT ENCLOSED_ANIMAL was trying to point out.
That's all well and good and only your opinion, the players and coaches clearly think completely differently as he has been chosen to lead us again this year. I've never seen him play reserves for issues around form so clearly there is something he brings to the side otherwise he wouldn't captain the side or even play in the side.

Why he has to be a champion to be a captain of a football side is beyond me, we've seen time and time again that leading a side and being a great player aren't mutually exclusive, as we've seen with great players that never were captains. You don't need to be the best or even one of the best players to lead a football club. You need to be a good leader to do that. Why do we as supporters think we know more than all 45 players on the list and all our coaches? Because he doesn't get 30 possessions a game? Are we as supporters unable to see past the stat sheet to try and figure out why he would be captain?

You listed a best 22 for this year and failed to include the captain of our football club. You should've expected criticism for it.

Anyway, my point stands. Barring injury or suspension, Geary will play all 16 remaining games. Like he has done for over a decade - and so he should. Every season he has been healthy he has played more than 15 games, barring 2008, his rookie season. So he has been a consistent theme of our best 22 for the best part of 13 years. Here's a hot tip: He is the least of our problems.

If you think we need a captain who is around the ball more (a midfielder) then say that, don't do it at the expense of another player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played as our third tall defender/loose half back that year, with Brown and Carlisle both playing 22 games each.
Gilbert played almost all the games as the third tall defender as well.

Gilbert played almost all the games as the third tall defender as well.

Exactly right.

I wouldn’t quite understand the Roberton selection at CHB when the Bulldogs have 2 genuine KPF’s. We would need Howard and Carlisle at a minimum, with Wilkie or Roberton as the 3rd option.

Given the latter two’s ground skills and agility being quite good for their height, it wouldn’t be inconceivable to play them both; not unlike having Gilbert, too, like you mentioned.

Revised ideal/dream team:

Wilkie Howard Webster
Long Carlisle Roberton
Hill Clark Coffield
Hind Battle Gresham
King Membrey (C) Lonie
Marshall Hannebery Billings

Marsh Jones Dunstan Steele

Ross Ryder Parker Butler

- I've picked Dunstan over Ross based on contested ball winning ability alone as I think they are both an equal liability disposal wise. (Jack Byrnes earmarked for near future hopefully)
- Parker just misses but would quickly find his way back in with some good sandy form. More convinced of Hind's effectiveness a the moment.
- Marsh comes in as the bash and crash foil for King and could also run through the ruck. Seems to be in pretty great shape on track & I absolutely love the way he goes about it.

Probable Rd.2 Team

Wilkie Howard Geary (C)
Long Battle Roberton
Hill Ross Jones
Butler Membrey Gresham
Lonie King Marsh

Webster Dunstan Clark Steele

Hind Coffield Ryder Carlisle

- Doesn't seem like Carlisle has done enough to get in sadly.
- Battle needs to play and been some talk of playing just one ruck
- Can't get Hind into my probable's with Lonie & Butler seemingly just ahead.
- Can't see a way Coffield gets picked but I'm quite sure he will get a shot early

Annnyway... see you at the drive-in!

He played as our third tall defender/loose half back that year, with Brown and Carlisle both playing 22 games each.

Didn't have a wilkie sized/speed bloke in the team with robbo, jake and brown though.

Howard, carlisle, robbo, wilkie is too immobile at ground level.

Having said that I think they will persist with playing robbo as a more accountable/lockdown CHB in the near term, fighting it out with battle for that chb spot -
and carlisle will come in to play the loose 3rd back tall when fit.

Matchups wont really come into it I don't think- jake will play the loose 3rd tall regardless of the size of the opposition fwd line

Last edited:
Exactly right.

I wouldn’t quite understand the Roberton selection at CHB when the Bulldogs have 2 genuine KPF’s. We would need Howard and Carlisle at a minimum, with Wilkie or Roberton as the 3rd option.

Given the latter two’s ground skills and agility being quite good for their height, it wouldn’t be inconceivable to play them both; not unlike having Gilbert, too, like you mentioned.

I think ratts is of the opinion that jake needs to play as the 3rd, loose tall or not at all.

(Which would be a good move I think, jake is quite ordinary as a regular, accountable defender)

I think plan A (with everyone fit and available) is for 1 of battle or robbo as the 2nd 'tall' at CHB and jake as the 3rd loose tall.

They gave robbo first crack in rnd 1, but I wouldn't be surprised if battle takes that 2nd tall CHB spot next week, jake as 3rd tall. (Assuming jake is fit)

I love your team Premium but if Carlisle is fit he plays instead of Roberton I reckon. Either way it will never happen because unfortunately Geary is in every week regardless of form.

Long - Howard - Coffield
Gresham - Battle - Jones
Lonie - Membery - King

That was his team next year.

Revised ideal/dream team:

Wilkie Howard Webster
Long Carlisle Roberton
Hill Clark Coffield
Hind Battle Gresham
King Membrey (C) Lonie

Marsh Jones Dunstan Steele

Ross Ryder Parker Butler

- I've picked Dunstan over Ross based on contested ball winning ability alone as I think they are both an equal liability disposal wise. (Jack Byrnes earmarked for near future hopefully)
- Parker just misses but would quickly find his way back in with some good sandy form. More convinced of Hind's effectiveness a the moment.
- Marsh comes in as the bash and crash foil for King and could also run through the ruck. Seems to be in pretty great shape on track & I absolutely love the way he goes about it.

Probable Rd.2 Team

Wilkie Howard Geary (C)
Long Battle Roberton
Hill Ross Jones
Butler Membrey Gresham
Lonie King Marsh

Webster Dunstan Clark Steele

Hind Coffield Ryder Carlisle

- Doesn't seem like Carlisle has done enough to get in sadly.
- Battle needs to play and been some talk of playing just one ruck
- Can't get Hind into my probable's with Lonie & Butler seemingly just ahead.
- Can't see a way Coffield gets picked but I'm quite sure he will get a shot early

Annnyway... see you at the drive-in!
I can’t see how any ideal team cannot have our best player one game ago in it. We are an ordinary side so losing your best or close to it player makes you worse especially as Clark is no where near ready for a full time midfield role. That side looks a year away to me.

Changed my opinion about round one side. Not sure Carlisle plays now missing an important hit out so battle goes to chb and is an ideal Bruce match up. Both great runners. Parker in for kent and marsh in for Ryder. Don’t really rate marsh at all but rate playing 2 rucks even less.

Unfortunately there are not many drive ins anymore. At least the saints are trying

It's a shame they couldn't put up a screen in a car park for a night instead. Then I could go and stuff everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back