Review Round 2, 2020 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

davo999

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Aldinga Beach
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think non-bigfooty Crows fans are ripe for conversion, especially after Saturday night. After all, they're the team-for-adelaidians-who-don't-get-THAT-into-footy.
I’ve met two random people that have told me they’ve switched because Port is undeniably a better community club plus the way they’ve botched the last five years

I'm working on my nephew. He's a crow, but i reckon he's gettable.

My uncle did this to me when I was a kid supporting Glenelg. He’ll be forever thankful if you succeed.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My uncle did this to me when I was a kid supporting Glenelg. He’ll be forever thankful if you succeed.

If Benny D still worked at the club i'd try and arrange a kick to kick on Alberton Oval with Rozee or Duursma. I reckon that would definitely break him, and by extension, my brother.

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Well done , my wife’s still a Crow , she’s a Burgoyne but the only hope I’ve got I reckon is if our 13 year old gets in the Power Academy
My wife was a crow supporter when we met.
I gave her the choice she either converts or we can't go any further as there was no way I was going to risk my kids being crow supporters.
She made the right choice and we have been married for 11yrs 2 fanatic port supporting kids lol.

Valentino

Club Legend
Mar 1, 2014
Beside myself
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
VR46 and SSC Napoli
The entire club is built on the foundation of hating (and beating) Port. There is no heart or soul to them, no matter how hard they try to deny it. They can only dream about having the culture, soul, heritage, and deep community spirit & connection that Port Adelaide have.
Mate, that's enough with the Crow bashing. Personally, I believe we don't give them enough credit and thanks for their generosity and kindness.

Which other organisation would have put their hand up to be completely shite in their rival's celebration of a major historic achievement such as ours?
Who else would have orchestrated a weekly controversy upon themselves just to make us look better? And furthermore, they have scripted it using a cast of ex PAFC people, Nicksy, Bunji and even Brucey Light's nephew all the way from the Riverland. Who else would have put their own faithful through so much pain and suffering for our enjoyment and pleasure?

I tell you, they are a fine organisation and hereby thank them from the bottom of my heart.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The entire club is built on the foundation of hating (and beating) Port. There is no heart or soul to them, no matter how hard they try to deny it. They can only dream about having the culture, soul, heritage, and deep community spirit & connection that Port Adelaide have.
The reason why they try and dent Port of our heritage is for this reason.

They are the bastard child born our of hatred in this state.

Harro59

Club Legend
May 14, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think the ship has sailed on Norwood. They had a SANFL 3-peat a few years back and only managed 2000 total members from it.
Back all those years ago imagine if Port what in first and then say Norwood. As much as I have no love for Norwood but just imagine the rivalry in this state at the top level. It would be epic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Well done , my wife’s still a Crow , she’s a Burgoyne but the only hope I’ve got I reckon is if our 13 year old gets in the Power Academy
My mom comes from a Colorado family. My father barracks for Grêmio, and I followed it. Long story short, my mom has switched sides because of me. So, it happens.

"I wouldn't barrack against my own son," she told once to an old friend who was baffled at the news she had crossed the borders.

A few years of genuine struggle for the Crows, and the rise of Rozee, Duursma and Butters will see little kids defy their parents and turn to Port Adelaide. Those three are like candy to kids.
Adelaide's main football rivalry is relatively new. It has a long PRE-HISTORY, but the Showdown only began in 1997. Porto Alegre's main football rivalry began in 1909. Adelaide is not quite where we are, but I believe it is quite possible that it will follow a similar path.

Although families play a huge role here, there is a generational trend. Grêmio and Internacional have historically exchanged periods of superiority over one another. Roughly speaking, Grêmio had advantage in the 30's, 60's, and 80-90's; while Inter, in the 40-50's, 70's, and 2000-10's. People who were children in those periods of advantage, they do tend to barrack for the club on top.

I really don't get how the crows have won two premierships and still have no culture to speak of. They must have really screwed the pooch in those early days. They are actually reasonably successful and have almost always been competitive and yet for some reason they can't bring anyone to fall in love with their club.

I mean, the colours and pseudo state side vibe can't be good in a national competition.

They haven't really been successful though. 11 of the other 17 teams have won flags since 1998, 11 of 15 if you exclude the expansion clubs. They had the second longest GF appearance drought in the league when they made the GF in 2017. They're thoroughly mediocre.

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This post is a bit late but wow what a wonderful win for the club, both past and present players & coaches. To be able to relax and just enjoy it was wonderful. Congratulations to the club. Loved the efforts of our gun recruits but everyone played their role and never let up. Tackling pressure and run was superb. Jumper looked nice, players did it justice which was so important. Nice time to be a Port supporter. Hopefully we can keep this effort level going during the season.

They haven't really been successful though. 11 of the other 17 teams have won flags since 1998, 11 of 15 if you exclude the expansion clubs. They had the second longest GF appearance drought in the league when they made the GF in 2017. They're thoroughly mediocre.

To be fair, quite a few clubs would kill for mediocre.

There were at least 4 frees missed to Port during the play at end of video

I was all in on an epic shafting in the first 2 minutes of the game. Free kick within a second to them, then they proceeded to not bother calling about 3 or 4 blatant HTB against them.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was all in on an epic shafting in the first 2 minutes of the game. Free kick within a second to them, then they proceeded to not bother calling about 3 or 4 blatant HTB against them.
Spot on ... Watching the full replay, the umps missed a lot of free kicks for Port.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We've had three chances so far to really wrench away supporters from Adelaide and have stuffed them all.

2004 after choking jokes for 2001-2003 we get the flag. Follow it up with 2005 where they spank us in the finals. Chance blown.
2007 we're a young exciting team to watch. Get to GF and it's aftermath of 2008-2012. Chance blown.
2014 a new Oval, a Gameday experience that is the envy of the football world, a close preliminary final loss. The AFL world loves us and the state is ours for the taking. Next minute 2015-2019. Chance blown.

We don't need to win the flag to grab younger supporters, but we need to
a) Not implode
b) Get a Women's team up and going ASAP. We're lucky in the AWFL cut short this season meant Adelaide had nothing to hang their hat on, but the men's team s**t or not, young girls (and by extension whole families with daughters) are still going to gravitate to a team with players they can emulate.

Get an AWFL team in whilst Adelaide are s**t and don't * up AFL side and the next 5 years is where we can really make inroads into getting closer to even support between us and them.

They're a team not a club. Think like the Socceroos or some other representative team. What you need to remain relevant to people (including past players) is continual on field success. Without on field success, you're just a boring and irrelevant mob that nobody will care about until your name is up in lights again. This is why West Coast do the soulless state based franchise thing better than the Crows - they are constantly successful so people always want to be seen to be a part of it. The Crows conversely are mediocrity personified and so nobody ever really feels like they should care much.
You also have to look at the reason why the eagles and crows were invented.

The Eagles were invented to save WA footy, stop clubs selling players for transfer fees to survive, to keep the game healthy, and when the Vics screwed them and said you have to come up with $4mil upfront in 30 days time, rather than $400k x 10 years, 5 individuals stuck their hand in their pocket and paid $1mil each and said we will worry about getting finances right later, because in the long run this is the best thing for footy in this state.

Its why I respect the WCE. They were set up to save WA Footy from falling over. The WAFC knew they couldn't keep doing the same thing. They had to take a risk, and the bi-product was a national comp. I don't live there so I don't have to deal with their fans. I don't give a stuff about them. If I lived in Perth, I probably would.

The Crows were invented to maintain the revenue streams of the SANFL and its clubs. It wasn't about the footy otherwise they would have done a deal with the WAFC, lets go in together, lets make sure we both don't get screwed. But SANFL said noway we aren't paying you any money, you're not worth it, we are fine all by ourselves, we don't need you, we are comfortable etc. Even at the May 1990 conference they said, we don't want to play in a 14 team comp, we don't want to pay you any money, we don't want to come in for another 3 years etc etc. Then Port jumps and says * this, we want to be in the big league, and everyone else reacts, and because of being worried about their future bank balance, say lets stop the bastards.

They deceived themselves and the footy public that the big bad Vics would be a backward step. The leaders of the SANFL just transferred to the crows and deception is still the main policy.

The Eagles are like modern Australia, have opened up to the world, are progressive, and as they went up the wealth ladder, they have used that wealth to reinvest in their future, ie footy department. The crows are like old protectionist Australia. Stuck in the protectionist tariff era of the 1990's. Scared of the big bad new world order, always watching the pennies, scared of taking big risks and they wont go anywhere until they make the big structural changes.

Its why I always look at foundations to understand why things are the way they are today. If you don't join the dots and you forget or don't understand the past, and why things are the way they are, you wont see and understand the future and what's coming down the pipeline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back