Game Day Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that be be something to show your kids. I got this medal the day I wasn't good enough to play.

I wouldn't want the medal of I hadn't played. This is sort - it's not everyone gets a medal.
I don't think the player will keep it around their neck for long.

I also wonder if this could lead to suspicious food gifts among the group on grand final morning

Take 3 of our 4 subs, and all 4 emergencies, and I reckon they would be lucky to have 20 games experience between them. Unusual team profile, if we are to be considered true premiership contenders.

On the other hand, it is a positive that our 21st to 28th ranked players are young & improving - and not list cloggers.

I hate that ground. Horrid memories of Mark Jackson kicking bags and Gary Ablett Senior beating us up and then the long drive home. I am sure Brisbane down there but I do not believe that I ever saw a victory.

Bit disappointed in Fagan lately. After that horrible effort last week, just a change in small forwards.
Always been his MO.

Stick with the team after an unexpected loss and back them in. Might have just been an off day after all.

Start making cuts if we don't turn it around after two weeks.

Always been his MO.

Stick with the team after an unexpected loss and back them in. Might have just been an off day after all.

Start making cuts if we don't turn it around after two weeks.
Yep, if we were to come out with another lacklustre performance similar to last week then I am all for a few changes.

A few damning stats in this article from earlier today.
Not going to be easy down there tonight. Helps having Danger Menegola and Duncan out. But still not going to be easy.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/569268
If compared to last year, no Danger/GAJ/Harry/Duncan/Menagola. All of these guys used to somehow have a day out against us. Those are significant absences.

Still, Geelong have a good squad a strong system. They still rightly go in as favourites.

Not sure if it's the manner in which we lost last week, but not feeling particulary excited it's game day.

Coupled with the fact that we are going down to the Cattery, it is prime time TV, and we have choked multiple times in the past on the national stage.

If we win, it will be great. But if we lose in an embarassing fashion, also won't be surprised. I'm a bit over our young kids getting overlooked for over the hill players like Birchall, Robinson etc;. But we'll see if they recover from their efforts of last week. The competition winners has seen a fast ball movement game plan, and not sure our tactics will work especially when they lock down on Rich.

Bit disappointed in Fagan lately. After that horrible effort last week, just a change in small forwards. But the big one l have is having Prior as a substitute. Why give him a debut where he could potentially and probably not play. Would rather Matho again or anyone who has already got a game.
Not too disappointed with the team selection this week but I am a bit disappointed that we haven’t seen Chris Fagans interview this week.
There have been articles to suggest he did one but we haven’t seen it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at the statistics:

"58 teams have started the season 0-2 since 2010 and only 5 of those teams have gone on to play finals."

We lose tonight, and there is a low low low chance we'll be playing any forms of finals. Also, those statistics indicate finals (not top 4). I know most of you don't want to admit it, but our season is almost over if we lose and the statistics tell us that is the exact case. Hopefully the players know how important this game is.

Could do but you would hope not after just one case, all depends if the Victorian government see our players as a risk, if they're panic stricken enough game could get called off and our players forced into quarantine.... in one of their highly successful motel quarantine sites :rolleyes:.

Be afraid....be very afraid.:fearful::padlock::mask::noentrysign:

(anything is possible with this lot down here;))

Just looking at the statistics:

"58 teams have started the season 0-2 since 2010 and only 5 of those teams have gone on to play finals."

We lose tonight, and there is a low low low chance we'll be playing any forms of finals. Also, those statistics indicate finals (not top 4). I know most of you don't want to admit it, but our season is almost over if we lose and the statistics tell us that is the exact case. Hopefully the players know how important this game is.

If we had played both Richmond and Geelong away and had lost both games by a point would you be as worried?

Also, If we had played both Adelaide and North at home and drawn one and lost the other by 100 points?

If we had played both Richmond and Geelong away and had lost both games by a point would you be as worried?

Also, If we had played both Adelaide and North at home and drawn both games?

Yes, I would. There is a reason why the top 6 is formed by the end of rounds 6-8. Because those teams can afford to lose a game or 2 until the finals. We won't have that luxary and that is why the statistics tell us that teams who start 0-2 rarely, if ever, make the top 4. I know it sounds crazy to say our season is on the line in round 2, but you can't argue with facts. And if somehow we lose tonight, and make the top 4 and win the grand final, i'll admit i'm wrong, but right now we can only go on stats and it tells us that everything will be against us if we lose tonight.

Last edited:
Agreed. I thought Coleman was decent enough last week. Other people in front of him that should have been in the firing line.

How Robinson and Birchall remain in the team is beyond me. Both players are a liability out there, while Coleman (while learning) provides us something we need. Speed and pressure. Imagine watching the game last week and thinking. "If we take Coleman out, we would have won". He was one of our better players last week, ahah.

Yes, I would. There is a reason why the top 6 is formed by the end of rounds 6-8. Because those teams can afford to lose a game or 2 until the finals. We won't have that luxary and that is why the statistics tell us that teams who start 0-2 rarely, if ever, make the top 4. I know it sounds crazy to say our season is on the line in round 2, but you can't argue with facts. And if somehow we lose tonight, and make the top 4 and win the grand final, i'll admit i'm wrong, but right now we can only go on stats and it tells us that everything will be against us if we lose tonight.

Winning 14 out of our last 20 will still be achievable to finish top 6 and as we saw with Richmond and Geelong last year having to play all 4 weeks in finals isn’t a hindrance.

As was stated earlier 53 out of 58 teams starting the season 0-2 not making the finals is usually due to not being very good to start with instead of having an upset loss round 1 and probably the second hardest game in the second round

How Robinson and Birchall remain in the team is beyond me. Both players are a liability out there, while Coleman (while learning) provides us something we need. Speed and pressure. Imagine watching the game last week and thinking. "If we take Coleman out, we would have won". He was one of our better players last week, ahah.

If we’re dropping players based on 1 game then we’re dropping 10 guys.

Did Geelong make wholesale changes?

Winning 14 out of our last 20 will still be achievable to finish top 6 and as we saw with Richmond and Geelong last year having to play all 4 weeks in finals isn’t a hindrance.

As was stated earlier 53 out of 58 teams starting the season 0-2 not making the finals is usually due to not being very good to start with instead of having an upset loss round 1 and probably the second hardest game in the second round

It's not the arithmetic that matters - its the perspective. Teams like Richmond know they can drop a game to make the finals, we won't. There will be more pressure on us than any of those teams each week, and we're a team that hasn't dealt with pressure well in the past. I'm not saying its impossible, but history has shown us that its unlikely.

If we’re dropping players based on 1 game then we’re dropping 10 guys.

Did Geelong make wholesale changes?

No, i'm asking why Coleman was dropped. Why was coleman dropped and not Birchall and Robinson? Fagan usually sticks to his guns, but he didn't with Coleman. If round 1 was really a strange occurance, why drop a player who was one of our better players last week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back