Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Yep.

As much as we would like Fages to unload, to do so would not only have the AFL throw the book at him but most likely result in the precious umpires deciding to give us a bit more stick just to "show him"

Even though he said he didn't comment on umpiring, I thought the tone he used barely disguised his disgust

AS HN said the "no point" comment was probably better than a full broadside.

Well played Fages
He certainly wasn’t happy,

Sanchez365

Club Legend
May 9, 2011
Melbourne/New York City
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Completely against the intent of the rule and is banking on it being too hard to accurately officiate.
Yeah the umpires really need to sort this out because I thought the cats were given alot of leeway, 10m is a long way but it was evident by the 5m chip passes going on that the umpires are terrible at judging it.

What I find really stupid about the standing the mark rule is that you are essentially giving someone 10m of space in front of the mark to work with. Either via the man standing on the mark being easy to walk around, or the man literally standing 10m behind the mark. This means teams can basically chip directly sideways, and effectively.move the ball 10m forward each time. I hate it.

We got opened up by these small 10m kicks all over the ground again in the first half just like against the swans. We had to swap to a man on man defence (which we did in the second half) to try and stop those kicks. The big issue for us is our entire defensive structure is built around zoning off and smart reading of the play, to cover our relatively slow defenders. This rule is looking like a direct counter to our game style on defense.

On offence, it is just as dangerous. It's so easy for teams to control possession across half back now, that our chaos ball forward (aka the Mitch robbo special) is extremely risky, because if it's intercepted we cant press up on that mark to try and shut down the release options.

We haven't traditionally been a high uncontested possession team and this looks like it could be an issue for this season. My only hope atm is that McStsy coming back in will help stopping those intercepts and control we are giving away across the back line. While Fullerton's endeavour has been great, he's been essentially non existent up forward.

Ralphy2017

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we get to the point where finals are out throw Ely and Dev into the middle and get some serious game time into them.
Although the cats had a few big names out, we also had a couple missing and Oscar was injured early on. On that spirited performance we make the 8. But I still think there needs to be a couple of changes.

I hope Ely and Dev get an opportunity even if in finals contention, but IF we find ourselves out of it then 100% play them and a few of the other young guys. We don't want to fall off the cliff suddenly.

We got opened up by these small 10m kicks all over the ground again in the first half just like against the swans. We had to swap to a man on man defence (which we did in the second half) to try and stop those kicks. The big issue for us is our entire defensive structure is built around zoning off and smart reading of the play, to cover our relatively slow defenders. This rule is looking like a direct counter to our game style on defense.
Not just us, pretty much every team ran with some form of a zone defense for the last three to five years, with results varying from very effective (Hawthorn) to ineffective (GWS). Some teams have seen the writing on the wall and successfully transitioned to man defense, or another option is to push your zone up higher - this can be effective to shut down the 45 degree kicks, but also increases the chance of an effective long kick since it's potentially easier to go over the zone (since people have moved up).

The most popular approach seems to be to let them have the short kicks and compress the zone slowly into the defensive 50 where it becomes easier to push the players up without out opening up the area past the zone. That's a lot more risky though, and part of our defensive success has not been allowing this to happen in previous years.

IMO going man to man is the most straightforward change to make but you'd have to select your team with that in mind. I think we're more likely to see Fagan (and Clarkson, et al) continuing to tweak our zone instead until they either make it effective (maybe play a higher zone with larger holes on harder angles) or they find themselves getting blown out by the good ball using teams of the competition.

Another impact is that the new rule makes it a lot harder to defend a quick switch. Get one player out on the fat side and you'll likely be able to get it to at least the forward 50 because of the overlap - the new rules forcing either a player to stop and man the mark or effectively run away from the ball carrier. Previously the overlap was obviously dangerous but by hovering between the players you could force a long looping handball which gives your team more time to react. Now you're stuck with either allowing the player with the ball to progress or they can chip the ball along easily and quicker - the former seems the less worse option if you're confident in your defense further up field, but it makes it easier for them to hit leading forwards as well.

May 5, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We haven't traditionally been a high uncontested possession team and this looks like it could be an issue for this season. My only hope atm is that McStsy coming back in will help stopping those intercepts and control we are giving away across the back line. While Fullerton's endeavour has been great, he's been essentially non existent up forward.
Spot on , been banging on about this for a while.
Better teams can move the ball through the park by keeping possession.
Unless you can deliver the ball to advantage which we don't do much, its a lottery and simply makes the task much harder to pull off.
Downside is Collingwood play a very good possession game.
The're kicking to advantage was first class against Carlton.

Bit disappointing we haven't changed our style , never going to win against he highly skilled teams , would of thought that was glaringly obvious last year.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
People are quick to jump on Zorko for his perceived ill discipline.

Unjustly IMO.

One of only a few of our players who always gives a sh*t.

Sure he gives away frees but he cops plenty, often off the ball but never seems to get anything back from the umps.

You often see him down on his haunches in obvious discomfort. How many times to you reckon a player can inflict damage on himself off the ball?

There's a guy named Selwood who ducks, dives, whines, whinges and gets an absolutely rails run from the umpires year in year out but his supporters absolutely love him.

And gets eulogised in the media like some kind of war hero.

Guys like Zorks can only dream if such favourable treatment

I wish people would stop bagging our captain and get behind him.

He bleeds for this club

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I absolutely agree .Selwood is worse than Zorko but is praised for what he does .
Geelong are full of gross snipers .
My least favourite team easily.

Blicavs said he had no prior. Whatever.

What about the incorrect disposal/throw.
This is a pet hate of mine. Commentators/fans pull it out all the time wrongly.

Incorrect disposal is a subsection of holding the ball. If he didn't have prior opportunity, he can't get done for incorrect disposal.

Of course, he clearly had prior and everyone knows it.

Completely against the intent of the rule and is banking on it being too hard to accurately officiate.
I thought that was the obvious way to play it.

You have to be back 5m (and Geelong weren't regularly), but a man on the mark is now a man who can't influence the play. Player runs around him and he has to watch the umpire before he can start moving. Leaves you a man down...

Obvious fix is just to give them the 5m. Gives the player more room, but the man OFF the mark can try to cut down (less effectively than before, but better than on the mark) that 45 degree kick by moving around, and is spared having to wait for the umpire to notice when the kicker moves off the line.

Obviously, doesn't apply inside 50 or 60m from goal...

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The big issue for us is our entire defensive structure is built around zoning off and smart reading of the play, to cover our relatively slow defenders. This rule is looking like a direct counter to our game style on defense.
Maybe we should drop our relatively slow defenders then, unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute that justifies their selection (like Rich's kicking). There are fast defenders on the team, like Madden, and players like Coleman and Prior could be brought back into defence.

On offence, it is just as dangerous. It's so easy for teams to control possession across half back now, that our chaos ball forward (aka the Mitch robbo special) is extremely risky, because if it's intercepted we cant press up on that mark to try and shut down the release options.
Similarly, maybe we should drop our hack kicks unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute justifying their selection. I don't think Robbo meets the criteria.

Maybe we should drop our relatively slow defenders then, unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute that justifies their selection (like Rich's kicking). There are fast defenders on the team, like Madden, and players like Coleman and Prior could be brought back into defence.

Similarly, maybe we should drop our hack kicks unless they have a particularly outstanding attribute justifying their selection. I don't think Robbo meets the criteria.
If you keep on for long enough you might get you way one day.

I thought that was the obvious way to play it.

You have to be back 5m (and Geelong weren't regularly), but a man on the mark is now a man who can't influence the play. Player runs around him and he has to watch the umpire before he can start moving. Leaves you a man down...

Obvious fix is just to give them the 5m. Gives the player more room, but the man OFF the mark can try to cut down (less effectively than before, but better than on the mark) that 45 degree kick by moving around, and is spared having to wait for the umpire to notice when the kicker moves off the line.

Obviously, doesn't apply inside 50 or 60m from goal...

I suppose it depends what your views are on the rules. I like it as intended.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't like the players standing flat footed making it look worse than it is. Mitch Robinson did this a few times on Friday standing completly still with his arms up and just let players run around him, compared to Jaxon Prior who was ready to go. Small things like that can make a huge difference.

Our players need to learn from Geelong. When Geelong have the ball and walk back from the mark they take steps inside and then play on. Our blokes go back in a straight line.

T Rick

Premium Platinum
Sep 20, 2007
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He certainly wasn’t happy,
Amazing self-constraint under the pressure of a post match interview following that loss and having to deal with a Zoom interview with poor audio. The man is pure class compared to his opposition number. Just imagine Chris Scott if the Cats had lost that game in the same circumstances.

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Amazing self-constraint under the pressure of a post match interview following that loss and having to deal with a Zoom interview with poor audio. The man is pure class compared to his opposition number. Just imagine Chris Scott if the Cats had lost that game in the same circumstances.

Scott’s behavior as a coach tends to make my reflections on him as a lions player less positive.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've looked at the video of Scott having a go at the boys etc.....nowhere can I see Lachie having a go at him, he didn't even appear close by.

I see Mark Robinson says that Lachie should get a "please explain" too..

I really can't stand Chris Scott now, although I admit I've never liked him much tbh....I've seen him walk over to other players too in the past. He's a hothead, needs to control himself and act in a professional manner.....like Chris Fagan. What a difference between the two coaches.

Back