Review Round 2, 2021 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alright, back, still slightly salty but whatevs.

Watching the highlights again and I'm still impressed at how Bailey seems to have found another level. He started to ramp up last year but his ability to break lines throught he midfield and into attack is a real positive for us. I think that's one of my favourite parts of that game.

Barrett's latest article is a frigging masterpiece too:

Anyone who knows Scott knows that in that very moment, he isn't going to walk away. Nor should he. He may have sought further information – and according to someone within earshot he did seek further information in possibly questioning the toughness of the Lions. And then other Brisbane players may have backed up the first voice.

And then another Lions player, possibly two-time All-Australian defender Harris Andrews but possibly someone else, said something like, "Not as soft as you p***ks in the Grand Final".

Possibly someone possibly someone else said something like

1616998422308.png

Followed by this nugget of gold:

Cam Guthrie and Joel Selwood urged Scott to leave the area about this time. For the Lions' sake, it was beneficial they did.
Why? Was his Dad gonna bash our Dad or something?

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
thats bordering on fan-fic levels worship right there...

watch from where it starts if you want your blood to boil over all again. You could argue it stems from an annoying advantage rule.. but both Selwood and Berry are extremely lucky there wasn't a bad concussion from a head slam to the ground there.

Love this channel, can re-watch all the behinds as well which was good. Some bad misses.. but Hippy makes you excited with some of his shots.

edit: I think some people were overly harsh on Ah-Chee with that final kick. Looks like he shanked it when going for a bomb in deep. Unless he cut in all the way into the top of the f50 where we had a lot of space (but covered by the man trying to smother), that was probably his best option with Daniher/Hippy/Charles there for a big mark.

Big shame.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2001
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
watch from where it starts if you want your blood to boil over all again.

I did and I wish I hadn't.

So many poor decisions / non decisions against us.

The "high tackle" free awarded to Duckwood against Zorko when we had them pinned in the last quarter was a figment of umpire #10's fertile imagination. The lightning fast 50 that ensued is borderline cheating.:thumbsdown:

Incredible that the same umpire #10 (whose name I cannot speak) went deaf dumb and blind minutes later when Zac laid a tackle for a textbook HTB that would have given us a win.

I'm not looking at any part of this diabolical train robbery of a match again.

I've expended my full range of expletives and bad words.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
so there’s even more being spewed about the Chris Scott saga.

“What is fascinating is the exchange that took place between Chris Scott and Chris Fagan at the end of the quarter time break,” Channel 9 Footy Classified reporter Caroline Wilson said on Monday night.

“It was an angry exchange, there were different versions of what happened. But what we know is Chris Scott was walking to head up the race, saw Chris Fagan on the boundary line, gave him a filthy look, walked over towards him, closer than he needed to.

“Geelong’s version is that Chris Fagan started the angry verbal exchange. Brisbane’s version is that Chris Scott started it. Certainly, there was a reference to Chris Fagan’s age and not a very complimentary one at that. Angry swear worlds. Alleged threats from both sides, which weren’t really serious.’
Caro also said our boys were sledging Rohan about his private life, him splitting from his wife.

I really don’t see Fagan having words with Chris in the first place... it just doesn’t seem like something he would do.
He then went on and said he didn’t think coaches should approach opposition players, that it’s not a good look...can’t see him having that response if he verbally attacked Chris Scott.

Also, according to the article the Lions have denied the soft pricks sledge

so there’s even more being spewed about the Chris Scott saga.

“What is fascinating is the exchange that took place between Chris Scott and Chris Fagan at the end of the quarter time break,” Channel 9 Footy Classified reporter Caroline Wilson said on Monday night.

“It was an angry exchange, there were different versions of what happened. But what we know is Chris Scott was walking to head up the race, saw Chris Fagan on the boundary line, gave him a filthy look, walked over towards him, closer than he needed to.

“Geelong’s version is that Chris Fagan started the angry verbal exchange. Brisbane’s version is that Chris Scott started it. Certainly, there was a reference to Chris Fagan’s age and not a very complimentary one at that. Angry swear worlds. Alleged threats from both sides, which weren’t really serious.’
Caro also said our boys were sledging Rohan about his private life, him splitting from his wife.

I really don’t see Fagan having words with Chris in the first place... it just doesn’t seem like something he would do.
He then went on and said he didn’t think coaches should approach opposition players, that it’s not a good look...can’t see him having that response if he verbally attacked Chris Scott.

Also, according to the article the Lions have denied the soft pricks sledge

I know Fages is capable of getting angry but that just doesn't seem at all true. I can't for a second imagine him engaging in a sledging match with another coach. A lot of articles based on nothing but rumour and conjecture. Waste of time.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know Fages is capable of getting angry but that just doesn't seem at all true. I can't for a second imagine him engaging in a sledging match with another coach. A lot of articles based on nothing but rumour and conjecture. Waste of time.
Yea I honestly don’t see it. Especially because Fagan seems to really expect a high level of professionalism from himself and his players.
Now, if they said Zorko or Mitch... that I would believe lol

Scubaveg

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2009
Carina
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Barrett and Carro, how can they possibly know what was said out on the ground ???
They’ve might have spoken to a player or club person or maybe someone involved in the broadcast, but 2 + 2 equals them making a lot of $hit up

Barrett’s head is so far up Scott’s backside is face has gone purple. That’s how.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm still incredibly curious how these two happen to know what went on. Barrett in particular, putting words in our players mouths with nothing more than a 'someone could have said something like' statement. Such a thing could be construed as slander.

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They seem to be taking Chris Scott's version of events. I believe he is telling porky pies.

FLVanLandingham

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If you know Chris Fagan, you know he never backs down from a fight. His studly appearance and years of using his body to deliver his lessons meant Scott would be in a world of pain if he attempted to escalate. Through divination, I have determined it was Scott who initiated the confrontation and mentioned he would like to put him in a retirement home. I believe Fagan would then have possibly or probably replied that Scott "is a complete nincompoop and should go home to his mommy".

The whole league is lucky this was occurring behind doors. The possibilities I have construed in my mind are endless and have far reaching effects. But more so than that, by Fagan not turning physical, the fate of Scott's ego, and respect he has from his players is still intact. Luckily.

by golly I could be a reporter with that nonsense.

lockdown is hard..

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Whoever writes for Fox Sports hates us... been picking us to slide all year and now saying that Geelong fully deserved the win on the weekend.

Nah Max Laughton doesn't hate us at all, and I agree that Geelong certainly were the better team for large portions of friday night. He was one of the people that tipped us to rise up the ladder in 2019 whilst every other idiot thought we were years off.

Picking us to slide this year doesn't mean the writer hates us - we won every single 1 score game we had last year, so you would expect our record to regress back to the mean somewhat.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also, who cares re what was said on Friday. Its entirely believable that our players could have sledged Rohan, but there is no doubt that geelong players would also have made some targeted sledges in their time.

Probably dumb for any footballer to make cracks about another player's extra-marital affair tbh.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Also, who cares re what was said on Friday. Its entirely believable that our players could have sledged Rohan, but there is no doubt that geelong players would also have made some targeted sledges in their time.

Probably dumb for any footballer to make cracks about another player's extra-marital affair tbh.

Look I agree, there was probably a lot said by BOTH teams. That doesn’t bother me, it’s the one-sidedness of what’s being reported that bugs me.

I don’t think lachie or our boys have anything to answer for.
I still maintain that no coach or staff should approach an opposition player unless it’s to genuinely help (like to help assist a player off the field etc)

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Look I agree, there was probably a lot said by BOTH teams. That doesn’t bother me, it’s the one-sidedness of what’s being reported that bugs me.

I don’t think lachie or our boys have anything to answer for.
I still maintain that no coach or staff should approach an opposition player unless it’s to genuinely help (like to help assist a player off the field etc)

Completely agree, and Chris Scott has form on this. I watched the clip from footy classified that was posted and I though it was pretty balanced to be honest - Caro wasn't in favour of his behaviour. Though it is also clear that Geelong is leaking like a sieve on this one as there was a lot of detail about what was said to Cats players and to Chris Scott.

Completely agree, and Chris Scott has form on this. I watched the clip from footy classified that was posted and I though it was pretty balanced to be honest - Caro wasn't in favour of his behaviour. Though it is also clear that Geelong is leaking like a sieve on this one as there was a lot of detail about what was said to Cats players and to Chris Scott.
Yep, it’s not coming from our end.

SacksonvilleJags

Team Captain
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Telling bit was that they were angry about the medical report that saw Rohan suspended for 2 games. Try not to hit someone in the jaw behind play maybe instead!
Ppl can say lachie was staging all they like but that swinging punch from Rohan really did appear to whiplash Neale. It wouldn’t surprise me that he would be feeling ill effects of it, especially to his neck

Back